Send Topic Print
Before Spring (Read 144 times)
koehlerrk

One cylinder to rule
them all...

East of Keuka Lake NY
Before Spring
12/14/14 at 06:13:47

OK, here's my list of what I want to get done on my Savage before April... aka, riding season in NY.

She's a 1987 vintage with 14K on the clock. Bone stock except for the airbox delete, cone filter, and Raptor petcock, all done by the previous owner. Mostly I'm looking at reliability as I want to give my wife and I a trouble-free riding season. So...

1. Replace the stock front brake line and worn brake pads with a braided SS line and new pads. Check back brakes.

2. Reseal head plug.

3. Iridium spark plug

4. Check Cam Chain Tensioner - fix if needed.

5. Paper Fuel Filter and new fuel lines

6. Clean up wiring - half of the clips are broken, so re-work to make it all "neat and pretty" so that the wife is happy.

7. New battery.

So, nothing too major, tires are good for another couple years, I have a jug of Rotella T6 in the garage and some ZDDP on order from Amazon. Definitely will be doing a carb tune come spring.

So... am I forgetting anything?

I can tell you EXACTLY what it feels like to get hit by a truck. I do not recommend anyone try it themselves.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Before Spring
Reply #1 - 12/14/14 at 06:54:57

I am not a fan of adding an additional fuel filter.....sometimes they actually cause problems with an air lock.  The stock bike has the filters on the petcock, and the carb has a screen on the top of the seat for the float needle.  The stock filters work just fine.  Most carb issues come from letting the fuel sit in the bike too long and from corrosion or fuel varnish, not from dirt coming from the tank.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
koehlerrk

One cylinder to rule
them all...

East of Keuka Lake NY
Reply #2 - 12/14/14 at 07:18:50

True Dave, but here in NY we're saddled with 10% ethanol at a minimum, so who knows how much water we get along with it. I'm adding the filter mainly as a water-trap.

I can tell you EXACTLY what it feels like to get hit by a truck. I do not recommend anyone try it themselves.
  IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #3 - 12/14/14 at 07:44:15

Why would you want a gas filter to trap water? If the filter were to fill with water, it would no longer pass gasoline.  This just adds an additional maintenance issue of checking and replacing gas filters.

Buying gas from a reputable, high-volume gas station, riding the motorcycle regularly and keeping the tank topped off should take care of any water issues. Unless it is a really large slug of water, it will just suck through the system and get burnt off. I've never had an issue with bad gasoline. I ride often. At least every few days in summer and at least every 2-3 weeks in winter.

Here's a thought for those of you really worried about water. What about adding a sediment bowl with a petcock drain in the bottom of it? These were common on old cars and tractors. It would certainly be a conversation starter.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 12/14/14 at 07:46:55

How does a filter distinguish between water and fuel?...
If it does.... you end up with a filter full of water?...

I'm with Dave...  we have 10% gas here, and I haven't ever run a filter in 30k riding over 6 years...
If there's any water or contaminants in fuel,... best to burn it off as it comes, rather than have it collect at any point in the fuel system...

Iridium plugs are all hype, too...  no performance gain, or added reliability...

With the airbox delete, where is the crankcase breather going?...
...(should have a mini filter on that)...
I bypassed the "park" setting on the ignition switch... so my switch is now off-on-off...  (less chance of accidental battery drain) (if you do this, you need to reroute the tail-light wire to the switch 'on" tap)...

You might want to check steering bearings...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
koehlerrk

One cylinder to rule
them all...

East of Keuka Lake NY
Reply #5 - 12/14/14 at 07:52:32

Fuel Vs. Water in the filter... best writeup I've seen was this:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1211846392

Done things similar with my lawnmower the last couple years, simply put, it works.

Crankcase vent... I'll have to look.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 12/14/14 at 08:22:34

Did you read all the way to post 17 in that thread.....where HondaLavis had a flow problem with his filter?  I know member SP put a filter on and had the same problem....and just a few weeks ago another fellow had his start acting up and failing while on rides....and when he remove the inline filter it ran fine.

You can put a filter on if you want.  Just be aware that if reliability and dependability is your goal - more folks have had issues with the inline fuel filter than they have had with dirt or water in the fuel.  I know there have been at least 6 folks that have had problems in the 3 years that I have been on this forum.  Sometimes they cause the problems right from the start - for others the issue has shown up much later and always at an inconvenient time.

Be sure to the proper Yamaha 5LP-24500-01-00 petcock.  It has the proper sized fuel outlet and will reduce the chances of the airlock occurring....the Chinese copies have a smaller outlet.  To be sure you are getting the correct petcock....look for the Yamaha name on the white box and the part number.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 12/14/14 at 08:39:40

W.O.W.

Thats
Words of Wisdom.

Yes, get in and check the cam chain,, but the filter? Its not as great a plan as it mite first sound like..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #8 - 12/14/14 at 12:30:52

FWIW, I ultimately removed that filter, replaced my petcock with a proper raptor, and replaced my fuel line to make sure it was 5/16"  Maybe one day I'll see if that filter works now that all my plumbing is the proper size, but for now I won't worry about it.  I probably ingest more contaminants through my K&N than gasoline.  Roll Eyes

Lots of good words here.  You won't get any benefit from an iridium plug.  Just a plane jane NGK DPR8EA-9 will do just fine.  If you want a reliable, low maintenance battery, consider looking at a sealed battery.  They can be had between $50-80, and you don't have to check the electrolyte level.

What exactly is bad with the wiring? Just the locking clips on some of the connectors?

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
koehlerrk

One cylinder to rule
them all...

East of Keuka Lake NY
Reply #9 - 12/14/14 at 16:00:57

OK, petcock is genuine Yamaha Raptor, I got the box with the bike, and the original petcock with it. Box has the sticker from the local Yamaha shop on it... so yeah, I'm thinking it's the real deal.

I have the airbox also, so I could put that back on if I want to.

With the fuel filter, I'm going to try it, it's easy enough to undo if it doesn't work out.

For a battery, yes, I'm going AGM since they're a lot tougher in terms of vibration, and Savages do vibrate a bit. The fact that there's no maintenance is a plus.

The wiring problem is that the clips and such that secure the wiring harness to the frame have broken, and the wires are dangling horribly. I'm planning to correct this with wire loom and cable ties to neaten up the whole package.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #10 - 12/14/14 at 19:50:26

I don't know much about iridium but copper has less resistance to electrical flow than platinum. Iridium may be better than that. I don't know. I'll stick with good old fashioned copper plugs. The Savage/S40 engine couldn't care less if you put some wannabe high tech plugs in it.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 12/15/14 at 03:27:08

I have an Iridium spark plug in my motorcycle.....a bit more expensive than a normal plug......but the fuel tank I have on the motorcycle is mounted very low and I have to remove the side panels to get the seat off, remove the seat, and then remove the fuel tank before I can get to the spark plug.

The benefits of iridium and platinum are not current flow - but resistance to wear.  In the old days of carbs, manual chokes, leaded fuel, and oil bath air cleaners we used to get no more than about 25,000 miles out of a set of plugs in a car.  The electrodes would wear and the sharp corners would become rounded....and that makes it harder for the ignition system to create a spark across the gap.  Iridium and platinum are much more resistant to this rounding off of the electrodes, and because of this the electrodes can be made smaller - which does make it easier for the ignition system to create a spark.  I just replaced the iridium plugs in my wife's Honda Civic that has over 100,000 mile on it.....and the spark plugs looked like they had no wear at all!

So although you won't get any more horsepower - you will get longer life and possibly make things a little easier on the ignition system.  The benefits are that the bike may start a little easier on a cold damp morning, and you will get more life out of the plug.

Here is some info on the use of Iridium in spark plugs.
http://densoiridium.com/faq.php

« Last Edit: 12/17/14 at 03:32:26 by Dave »  

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 12/16/14 at 16:00:06

ALSO,, Before anyone pulls a plug, be Aware, they sit Down in a cavity that gathers Grit and dirt and When that plug comes out,, the crud falls in SO,, Blow that thing out first,, BUY canned air or find a compressor, but dont pull that plug without blowing it clear down there First,,

IDK if this will help you, Dave, but I modded a chrome cap so it would swing out and I could get the plug out W/O pulling the tank.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 12/17/14 at 03:39:32

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 12/16/14 at 16:00:06:
IDK if this will help you, Dave, but I modded a chrome cap so it would swing out and I could get the plug out W/O pulling the tank.

I no longer have the chrome covers, and the GT550 tank I have used is really low on the frame, and there is very little room over the cylinder head.     The GT550 tank is pretty tall top to bottom - so when I lowered it enough that the top was under the steering stem the bottom was really close to the head.  There is no room to get the plug out with the tank on.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 12/18/14 at 01:31:54

Ohhh, gotchya, .  Have we seen pics?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 02:38:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Before Spring

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.