Send Topic Print
Death by firing squad (Read 222 times)
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Death by firing squad
Reply #30 - 12/12/14 at 06:05:33

[quote author=3C2325223F3809390931232F64560 link=1416503935/15#28 date=1418356813]Paraquat wrote on 12/11/14 at 11:04:50:
I'd GIVE a prosecutor EXACTLY the sentence they sought against someone IF I knew that they were hiding exculpatory evidence or creating evidence.

I like that. Accountability.
Need to implement that... in congress also but from what I hear they are already feeling Obamacare in congress.

--Steve

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #31 - 12/12/14 at 07:17:31

Art Webb wrote on 12/11/14 at 21:51:41:
I've actually never understood why a prosecutor, defender, or even a judge is allowed to withhold evidence in a criminal case, pro or con, since the idea is to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that the accused is guilty, or release him
ANY level of punishment is wrong when leveled against an innocent man, and, like the founding fathers, I would rather see 100 guilty men go free than a single innocent man be punished

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RHZZuhFyIUU#t=2266
Okay,I wanted this at the end, but it is here.. well, it was not in America, but, I have been aware of some cases where it was almost as flagrant and almost as complete in the control of the defense.

Reasonable doubt,,not shadow.

IMO, a defendant should be able to put on A Vaudeville show IF he believes that would get the jury to agree with him . Having a judge tell the defense what they can and can't say makes it NOT a trial but a procedure with a predetermined outcome.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #32 - 12/12/14 at 07:46:22

I've actually never understood why a prosecutor, defender, or even a judge is allowed to withhold evidence in a criminal case, pro or con, since the idea is to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that the accused is guilty, or release him
ANY level of punishment is wrong when leveled against an innocent man, and, like the founding fathers, I would rather see 100 guilty men go free than a single innocent man be punished

Add me to this list. I am very frustrated by "rules of evidence" and a lot of the crap that goes on in a courtroom. I am pretty dern sure I would be excused as a juror right off.. but if not... then the courts would probably have a heck of a time with me, as I am of the mind that as a juror .. I get to say whats what.
I hear stories.. very rare that jurors get this way... and when they do the courts aren't happy... but justice is much better served.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #33 - 12/12/14 at 08:23:13

Pine wrote on 12/12/14 at 07:46:22:

Add me to this list. I am very frustrated by "rules of evidence" and a lot of the crap that goes on in a courtroom. I am pretty dern sure I would be excused as a juror right off.. but if not... then the courts would probably have a heck of a time with me, as I am of the mind that as a juror .. I get to say whats what.
I hear stories.. very rare that jurors get this way... and when they do the courts aren't happy... but justice is much better served.  

I also have never served on a jury, not surprising, as I have strong opinions on many subjects

for example, I don't believe Cops are always right, or always truthful in court Shocked

and of course you are right Justin, it's 'reasonable' though in a trial were the death sentence was involved, I'd want it to be beyond the shadow

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #34 - 12/12/14 at 14:33:21

As a lawyer for 40 years this coming May, and as one who knows his way around a courtroom, let me just add that the rules of evidence exist to protect defendants, both in criminal and civil cases.  I am not a criminal lawyer, nor have I ever been.  My focus is business litigation, and defending aviation accident cases.
I surely don't want hearsay to come into evidence, for instance.
And remember that when a prosecutor withholds evidence from the defense that should be turned over, he is breaking the rules.  Don't blame the rules; blame him.
As in all professions and occupations, from the menial to astrophysicist, there will always be lairs, crooks, and those out to feather their own caps at the expense of others.  We're all human, and lots of humans are bad people.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 15:07:41

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Death by firing squad

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.