ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Death by firing squad
11/20/14 at 09:18:55

https://news.yahoo.com/utah-revives-plan-executions-firing-squad-202248379.html

I can see that there are many pro's and con's, but when accurately applied can be quick.

They mention shoot thru the heart, knowing that being shot in non lethal forms is painful, wouldn't this be the least humane place to be shot?  Wouldn't shot thru the brain be better?

I would propose 6 low power rounds, 22's are known to enter 1 side and bounce around till spent.  3 to the head, 3 to the heart should do the trick.  Computer aimed and silenced to keep the victim from jumping.

As an alternate, self administered drug overdose.  Give them all the heroine they want.  Sooner or later they'll do the deed themselves.  At least they'll die a lot happier.

WWW   IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Re: Death by firing squad
Reply #1 - 11/20/14 at 09:35:23

I find it really hard to believe that there is not a drug or a combination of drugs that would work quickly and essentially painlessly to accomplish an execution. Iv'e had to have animals put down on a few occasions and in none of those cases did the animal exhibit any of the distress that was the case in several of the botched execution attempts recently.

I've got no particular problem with firing squads, but I think this idea is just a reaction to the  stupidity and incompetence of the states doing the executing and screwing them up.

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #2 - 11/20/14 at 12:56:07

Of the dogs we'd had to have euthanized, I only actually watched one, a St. Bernard who was too sick and too big to get into the car to take to the vet's office.  I've wondered the same thing about the drug that vets use.  This euthanasia was totally painless as far as I saw, and very quick.  BUT, due to the size of the dog, around 150 pounds, the vet gave the dog the shot straight into the heart, rather than in a blood vessel elsewhere.
No way could you do that to a human.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 11/20/14 at 15:07:18

You can do a lot of sh!t to animals and no one cares but their owners.

A criminal breathes hard in his sleep and you hear nothing but uproar.

WWW   IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #4 - 11/20/14 at 17:20:23

Quote:
They mention shoot thru the heart, knowing that being shot in non lethal forms is painful, wouldn't this be the least humane place to be shot?  Wouldn't shot thru the brain be better?

Yea it would, but find 7 people, today,  that have the skill to shoot that good !

Quote:
I would propose 6 low power rounds, 22's are known to enter 1 side and bounce around till spent.  3 to the head, 3 to the heart should do the trick.  Computer aimed and silenced to keep the victim from jumping.

Computer Aimed.  (See Above)

Quote:
As an alternate, self administered drug overdose.  Give them all the heroine they want.  Sooner or later they'll do the deed themselves.  At least they'll die a lot happier.

OMG,  Can  NOT  do that.  It would be  ILLEGAL !!!!!!

Perhaps, a, 'Town Square', hanging, where EVERYONE can SEE.
So it , 'again', serves the fundamental purpose,
of,  DETERRING, Crime.

Rather than be shrouded, hid, and covered.

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #5 - 11/20/14 at 18:55:38

Utah has had the firing squad option before.  It's an accommodation  to the Mormon (LDS) church which believed in "Blood Atonement".  Read the Wikipedia article in the link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_atonement

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #6 - 11/21/14 at 07:51:30

If done properly, the "lethal injection" is actually an anesthaetic followed by a substance such as curare.

You are literally "put to sleep".

The problem is you are darn wide awake when they stab you the first time.

A shot through the heart is painful and dooms you to a slow Death, because the heart is made of four ventricles, and each shot will only maim one.

A shot through the head is what you are after; one, quick shot.
It doesn't hurt, you wouldn't even hear it because the proper cartridge would be hypersonic.
You just stand/sit there, and then you're gone.
Amen.

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 11/21/14 at 09:10:47

MnSpring wrote on 11/20/14 at 17:20:23:
Quote:

Yea it would, but find 7 people, today,  that have the skill to shoot that good !

Quote:

Computer Aimed.  (See Above)

I don't see your objection here, "computer aimed" meant just that, sand bagged rifles, held in position by servo's and other means, a spot picked out to be aimed to, fired by a press of a button of the executioner.
Quote:
Quote:

OMG,  Can  NOT  do that.  It would be  ILLEGAL !!!!!!

legal, smegal.  what is written into law is legal.
Case in point, see title.

Typically, death row inmates spend 10 to 20 years awaiting their sentence.  Give them the option during the 1st year to waive all appeals and give them the drug of their choice, hopefully they'll choose crocodile.

WWW   IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #8 - 11/21/14 at 10:17:58

Quote:
I don't see your objection here, "computer aimed"

No objection to it. Perhaps it wasn't clearly stated.
Because, of, 'perceived lack of human skill', it would Have to be computer.

The, 'Illegal' part.  Tong in cheek.
Just thinking what the , 'tree huggers' would say !

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 11/21/14 at 11:35:07

Quote:

besides, there are scores of qualified men trained daily to hit a target at far greater distances.
If an average marine can do deadly damage at 200 feet to a moving target, 1 in 7 should be able to get the job done.

WWW   IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #10 - 11/21/14 at 14:32:46

The chemical ( drug) deaths are only now an issue because no company wants to be associated with the drugs. That was what happend in at least one latter case ( last year) the "normal drug" was not available so another was used, and the result was not the quiet quick sleep death.

My mother ( a staunch Democrat) is very much for a public death as noted above. The death penalty needs to be quick to come and public in order for the public to "feel" that a crime deserving of such was officiated and law and order restored.  With long drawn out "death row" vicitms move on and public "forgets" the crime and only the death is fresh. Those of such a bend of course want no-one put death no matter what, they are afforded years to lament and make public their position.

As to the method of the death. I am VERY certain.. many methods could be done in modern way that would apease most. hanging works, as long as all the proper measurements are made. I dont favor the electric chair, so much. Drugs.. but that sure seems an easy way out for murder or rapist.. who dont often such a courtesy to their victims.  Firing squad works, Though as pointed out above, it really doesnt need to a proper gun. A computer controlled barrel of minimal caliber to the back of the head... pretty dern quick.  Carbon monoxide... how hard would that be?

As for being or not for the death penalty. I am currently for it. With current law as it is, we have made punishments not too awful, life in prison... free cable, AC/ heat for free for life? Pretty sweet for somebody that has to have killed either many times or in a really horrible way.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #11 - 11/22/14 at 13:51:19

Lets take it a little further and have a lottery which any citizen could buy into. The lottery would be for the ability to carry out the death sentence for convicted criminals using the three old time favorites, hanging, electric chair or firing squad and would be the lottery winner's choice. Think about all the Bubbas out there who would just love the chance to pull the plug legally on a criminal.
  It would dump a lot of money into the government and could be a deterent to hardened criminals. I know a few good old boys who would give thier eye teeth (if they have any left) for something like that. Wink

This post is for entertainment purposes only on a cold rainy afternoon.  

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #12 - 11/22/14 at 15:35:28

Ed L. wrote on 11/22/14 at 13:51:19:
Lets take it a little further  

Do you remember the "Running Man"?

It was based in the year 2019.   Shocked

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #13 - 11/22/14 at 17:44:49

Electro in his little electromobile was a bit silly Cheesy

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #14 - 11/23/14 at 16:48:43

Lots of suggestions, (good ones), on how to make it work.

However, I believe, we have, LOST, the “Penalty”,  Part!

Understand the, ‘need to be sure’, but after that, need, is satisfied.
The Death PENALTY,   Needs to be a,  PENALTY !
Not hidden away!

Best quote, from the Sheriff in AZ,
when he is lambasted for making convects, WORK,
is:   “Ya don’t like it, Don’t Come Back” !

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 19:57:41

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Death by firing squad

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.