Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Removing valve timing inspection cover advice (Read 363 times)
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Removing valve timing inspection cover advice
Reply #30 - 12/09/23 at 11:31:28

So --

For anyone that comes across this thread. DO NOT chisel into the timing port cover while it's mounted. I was trying to wedge a used brake pad into the cover, actually punched though the timing plug (with a rubber mallet, mind you). Now I have debris in there and will need to pull the alternator cover.

For those in the know -- does the drive shaft pulley need to be removed to disconnect the wire for the alternator? Or am I'm I good just to pull the cover?

Thanks

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Re: Removing valve timing inspection cover advice
Reply #31 - 12/09/23 at 12:53:19

The alternator wires running along the engine case and up to the frame to the regulator should be trapped behind a small retaining plate and screw that is just to the upper right of the pulley (as you look at the bike from the left side).  After that, they run up the frame and are held with reusable zip ties.  You should just be able to detach the wires at the regulator.

Sorry about the timing cover plug!  I've done the same thing.  It was a tiny chip that knocked off in there.  I just left it in there and hoped it wouldn't travel elsewhere.  I rode that bike another 1000 miles or so and never heard from it.  But, don't trust my stupid ways.  I'm the guy that breaks off dowel rods in the spark plug hole and into the cylinder!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 07:28:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Removing valve timing inspection cover advice

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.