Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Revving but not accelerating (Read 302 times)
manny87
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Revving but not accelerating
11/05/14 at 14:08:32

Hi everyone, lately i've been noticing my 87 Savage does not have the response it used to... when in 2nd, 3rd or 4th gear and i give it gas it used to jump forward and just keep accelerating... now when i'm doing about 40 and try to give it more gas it just revs but does not go much faster, just barely. I don't even think i've made her go over 50MPH in a while... she's got 38k miles on her and i suspect the clutch might be getting stuck or something. any ideas on what it might be and what to do about it? I'd appreciate any comments

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Revving but not accelerating
Reply #1 - 11/05/14 at 14:21:02

1st, check your clutch adjustment, you should have an 1/8" gap at the lever.  Also check with bars turned to both sides.

2nd, check the throwout lever on the case, pull up on the lever and it should be between the marks on the case.

WWW   IP Logged
manny87
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 11/05/14 at 14:26:26

check your clutch adjustment, you should have an 1/8" gap at the lever.

2nd, check the throwout lever on the case, pull up on the lever and it should be between the marks on the case. [/quote]

Sorry man, 1/8" gap between where and where exactly? and i haven't seen the marks on the case, I'll take a look as soon as i get home...  Thanks

IP Logged
savskad

Be the best you can
be

Austin, TX
Reply #3 - 11/05/14 at 14:47:53

Sometimes if your clutch is "starting to go" (getting to the end of its life) it starts slipping under harder acceleration. If there is any slight pull on the clutch, therefore not letting it fully engage, it will wear faster. That's why you need to make sure all the adjustments are right.

This is based off my experience from my last bike. It had a little bit more power than the savage, but right when I'd hit the power band while accelerating it would "let up" and lose acceleration while the RPMs still went up. What it was, was the clutch was worn out and was slipping. That bike had 30,000 miles. Replaced the clutch and clutch springs, tight as could be!

Hope this helps.

2014 Suzuki Boulevard S40

The views and opinions expressed on this post reply are solely the opinion of savskad, no disrespect is ever intended, unless otherwise specified.
Wink
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 11/05/14 at 14:52:24

savskad wrote on 11/05/14 at 14:47:53:
Sometimes if your clutch is "starting to go"

Most savage clutches don't wear out.
It's usually an adjustment issue (if you catch it in time).
The cable stretches, and the clutch pack does wear, but usually within limits.  
When the lever is no longer within limits, it requires a change in the throwout rod.

WWW   IP Logged
savskad

Be the best you can
be

Austin, TX
Reply #5 - 11/05/14 at 14:58:33

verslagen1 wrote on 11/05/14 at 14:52:24:
Most savage clutches don't wear out.
It's usually an adjustment issue (if you catch it in time).
The cable stretches, and the clutch pack does wear, but usually within limits.  
When the lever is no longer within limits, it requires a change in the throwout rod.

Really? Cool! (Obviously I'm still new to the Savage) Makes me fall that much more in love with the bike.

I used to have a Yamaha Radian 4-banger wannabe sports bike. So clutches were bound to be replaced.

What if a Savage was ridden harder than usual?

2014 Suzuki Boulevard S40

The views and opinions expressed on this post reply are solely the opinion of savskad, no disrespect is ever intended, unless otherwise specified.
Wink
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 11/05/14 at 15:13:54

savskad wrote on 11/05/14 at 14:58:33:
What if a Savage was ridden harder than usual?

There's probably a point where clutches do wear out, but if you keep slip to a minimum, it's going to be a long time.

WWW   IP Logged
Spamy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 11/05/14 at 17:36:42

Had you recently changed the oil around the time you noticed this problem?

This clutch design is not very high pressure and slips easily if the disks get the slightest bit contaminated.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 11/05/14 at 18:27:38

Expensive oil? Rotella T, $13.00 a Gallon, not quart.
How many miles?
What oil you using?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
manny87
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 11/06/14 at 05:07:00

Spamy wrote on 11/05/14 at 17:36:42:
Had you recently changed the oil around the time you noticed this problem?

I changed the oil about ... maybe 1000 miles ago, and it burns a little bit 'cause I've had to top it off a couple of times since then... And I think i used 20W50 ... I know, I guess for starters i should change it to 10W40 and see what's up? Thanks for your help

IP Logged
manny87
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 11/06/14 at 05:16:26

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/05/14 at 18:27:38:
Expensive oil? Rotella T, $13.00 a Gallon, not quart.
How many miles?
What oil you using?

38,000 miles
I think it was Castrol 20W50, I can't remember why I got that oil... slim pickings at that store maybe (small town outside Guatemala city)... Should i first switch it to 10W40 and give that a try or just go ahead and look at other stuff? i know the clutch cable is fine... But the problem I think is getting worse... i went up a hill this morning, pretty steep but never EVER a problem in the past ... i had to shift down to make it. And I climbed that same hill not long ago with no problem. It looks like it just got this bad over a couple of weeks. what else should i check? and what am i looking for? Thanks for your help

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #11 - 11/06/14 at 07:00:55

You aren't saying what KIND of oil you are using.

You must use an oil that will work with a wet clutch, that doesn't have any "friction modifiers", one that is JASO-MA certified.
Automotive car oil will not work.

While Rotella T6 is not specific for motorcycles with a wet clutch, it meets the  JASO-MA requirements to work for that application.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
manny87
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 11/06/14 at 07:12:15

youzguyz wrote on 11/06/14 at 07:00:55:
You aren't saying what KIND of oil you are using.

You must use an oil that will work with a wet clutch, that doesn't have any "friction modifiers", one that is JASO-MA certified.
Automotive car oil will not work.

While Rotella T6 is not specific for motorcycles with a wet clutch, it meets the  JASO-MA requirements to work for that application.

Good point, and i don't know what kind of oil it was... So do you suggest first changing the oil because that might be the only issue? or change it after i check whatever else might be wrong in there?

IP Logged
Spamy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 11/06/14 at 07:55:15

If the oil kind was switched, like any sort of semi synthetic, synthetic or something like that and back to regular oil, then the clutch fiber plates can be slipping.

Ive tried to clean plates several times and have never had good results.  It has always only been fixed by getting new fiber clutch plates for me. Especially on this bike. It may be $50 you have to spend to find out if thats the problem if you cant pinpoint something else.

Actually "Automotive car oil will not work" is not true. Ive used car oils for 30 years on many many bikes and its fine.  You just have to have the right bare bones simple oil, like Rotella, or Chevron conventional.  And then stay with the same stuff for the life of the clutch.

IP Logged
manny87
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 11/06/14 at 08:07:27

Spamy wrote on 11/06/14 at 07:55:15:
If the oil kind was switched, like any sort of semi synthetic, synthetic or something like that and back to regular oil, then the clutch fiber plates can be slipping.

Ive tried to clean plates several times and have never had good results.  It has always only been fixed by getting new fiber clutch plates for me. Especially on this bike. It may be $50 you have to spend to find out if thats the problem if you cant pinpoint something else.

Actually "Automotive car oil will not work" is not true. Ive used car oils for 30 years on many many bikes and its fine.  You just have to have the right bare bones simple oil, like Rotella, or Chevron conventional.  And then stay with the same stuff for the life of the clutch.

Thanks, I'll start shopping for clutch discs just in case and see if there's anything else, maybe i'll change the oil for starters... couldn't hurt.  I'll post again with any updates. Thanks again

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/01/24 at 11:49:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Revving but not accelerating

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.