Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
What is that switch attached to the carb? (Read 525 times)
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Re: What is that switch attached to the carb?
Reply #30 - 11/03/14 at 18:10:16

Having identified it, I can't see it's true purpose.  The stock S40 is EU A2 compliant; that is it does NOT produce more than 35KW, and it does NOT have a power to weight ratio >/= 0.2 KW per KG.  It is also compliant for the initial 2 year restriction for the EU A license: that is power is </= 25 KW and the power to weight ratio is </= 0.16 KW per KG.  Stock we produce approx. 23 KW and roughly 0.134 KW per KG based on the stock weight of 380 lbs.  The only other restrictions I can find are for an A3 license, which restricts you to 125cc's or less.

So we know WHAT it is...  but WHY is it there?  Huh

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #31 - 11/04/14 at 03:41:05

The switch is intended to make the bike do.....something.  We know that Suzuki would not have added anything to this bike if they didn't need to.

Maybe the local fuel where they sell these bikes is better (or worse) than the rest of the world, maybe they have a more aggressive spark advance on those bikes and need to drop it back under full throttle, maybe it limits knock issue instead of limiting power.....or power instead of knock.

It is still somewhat of a mystery.  Someone with this switch needs to disconnect it and see if they have more power without it.  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
LiPix
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #32 - 11/04/14 at 05:13:24

I will try to disconnect it during this or next week, and try to make power test.

How do you suggest me to do so? Accelerating from 0 mph , or when I am riding at mid then give bike full throttle?

I noticed a good power when accelerating from mid to full so I'm afraid of not being able to see any change.

Regarding the gasoline, I don't know what properties does it have here, we have Super 98 octane, and Super 95 octane, being this last one the most used (also cheaper). 98 has more explosion power (as it's said).

IP Logged
Michael L

brumm..!

Denmark
Reply #33 - 11/04/14 at 05:29:38

Same here.. Most commonly used is 95, and then we have the Shell v-power 98.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #34 - 11/04/14 at 05:51:38

The Octane ratings are not probably easy to relate to the US numbers.  The United States and Canada use some averaging thingy where they list our octane as an average between the "RON" (Research Octane Number) and "MON" (Motor Octane Numbers).  Because of the 8 to 12 octane number difference between RON and MON, the  numbers shown in Canada and the United States is 4 to 6 octane numbers lower than elsewhere in the world for the same fuel.  Most other countries list an octane rating based on an AKI (Anti Knock Index).  Our common octanes are 87, 89 and 92.

IP Logged
Thomas Högberg

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vårgårda, Sweden
Reply #35 - 11/04/14 at 11:09:59

I have the same switch on my carb, a -97 imported from Germany to Sweden.

IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #36 - 11/04/14 at 17:19:14

Disconnecting the switch is only a valid comparison if we know that the switch actually works in the first place.  We don't know if the previous owner  did anything to disable the switch like what was suggested on that dirt bike forum.

If you have a multimeter, check the switch to see if it works and at what throttle position it actuates. Simply disconnect it and check continuity until the meter reads it connected.  After that, do back to back rides with the switch connected and disconnected.  If you don't notice a difference...   Undecided

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #37 - 11/04/14 at 20:06:35

It's common for spark timing to be retarded by some amount under heavy acceleration.  All cars do it. Fuel injected bikes do it. If it's a vacuum operated system, you need a vacuum sensor. A throttle position sensor will work for a system that doesn't vacuum advance if it has the smarts to use it.

That's something that's generally missing on electronic ignition carbureted bikes. Spark advance is RPM related only. It has no way to tell if you're getting on it hard or not. So, it doesn't retard for hard acceleration.

If that's to retard timing, I believe I'd want it to kick in before WOT but, there's no 'smarts' to it.  Just on or off based on position. If I were really riding at WOT, I don't think I would want the timing to retard and slow me down.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Roba
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #38 - 01/06/24 at 12:23:01

I started cleaning my carb today for the first time on my recently-ish aqquired savage and noticed this weird thing. This thread is the best source of information I've gotten to so far but I still lack the understanding of why it sits there. I have a '98 model that's imported to Finland from Sweden so now I know it's a EU thing. The fuel quality theory doesn't seem logical to me since it differs quite much even inside the EU. It goes to the ignitor according to the wiring diagram so the spark timing retardation seems to fit. But why..?

Would be nice to do some A/B test riding but I'm still months away from riding season so chances are I will just rip the thing off and hope the bike still runs... Did anyone ever find anything else about this thing? I know it's an old thread but some of you seem still active!

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #39 - 01/06/24 at 13:52:32

Could it be a safety switch of some sort?  Maybe it disables the starter so the bike won't start if the throttle is stuck wide open?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #40 - 01/07/24 at 04:25:56

One of the members who lives in a country where the switch is installed needs to go to a Suzuki dealer and see if they can get a copy (or look at) a factory workshop manual with the wiring diagram.......and see what this switch connects to.  Even looking at a factory parts manual and seeing what they call that switch might help to identify what it does.

IP Logged
Roba
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #41 - 01/07/24 at 05:39:52

I have some kind of workshop manual with the wiring diagrams and i can take a copy next time I visit the garage. Maybe that leads us somewhere but I'm too rookie on electrics myself to make much of it.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #42 - 01/07/24 at 08:52:40

When you say it "comes on" at WOT, what is "coming on"?  Does it make a noise?  Flash a blinky light?  Cut off the fuel supply and make the bike starve for fuel because you're hot-rodding it?

I saw the parts diagram calls it a "switch, throttle" (pretty vague and could be a misnomer).  Could it be a thermo-switch heater plug?  My Honda Shadow with dual carbs has a pair of heater plugs.  Expensive little gizmos at $50/pop (basically resistors that look like mini spark plugs).  They're totally useless to me here in Houston TX.  Supposedly they provide a little heat when the ambient temperature gets down to around 32F/0C.  I know some people ride in freezing weather, but not me.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #43 - 01/07/24 at 08:54:45

Meet RON, MON, and PON...  (just throwing this out there since Dave mentioned it)

https://aircooledbug.co.uk/usa-versus-uk-fuel-octane/#:~:text=RON%20versus%20MON
%20conversion%20table,PUMP%20at%20the%20gas%20station.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 11:21:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What is that switch attached to the carb?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.