Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Verslavy Cam Chain Tensioner Installation (Read 126 times)
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Verslavy Cam Chain Tensioner Installation
01/02/24 at 13:15:39

Big shout out to Verslagen!!  Exceptional craftsmanship, fast turnaround, and personalization!  Thank you.

I installed it in the 2nd hole, but it’s a pretty tight fight.  The plunger really didn't move when I removed the piece of zip tie.  I'm right at the minimum extension for getting it in the 2nd hole.  The rear cam chain guide is pressed against the cam chain pretty tight with no wiggle room.  Is this okay?  Does it need a little wiggle room or is it just restoring some of the bow in the rear cam chain guide? 

I'd prefer not to put it in the first hole only to have to move in a month or so.

Anyway, really impressed with the quality of work!  Thanks again Verslagen!
« Last Edit: 01/03/24 at 14:17:35 by ThumperPaul »  

Verslavy_CCT.jpeg
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Re: Verslavy CCT Installation
Reply #1 - 01/02/24 at 13:16:45

My initials engraved!  Personalization!  Cool.
« Last Edit: 01/02/24 at 16:44:29 by ThumperPaul »  

Verslavy_Personalized_CCT.jpeg
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 01/02/24 at 21:14:38

ThumperPaul wrote on 01/02/24 at 13:15:39:
I installed it in the 2nd hole, but it’s a pretty tight fight.  The plunger really didn't move when I removed the piece of zip tie.  I'm right at the minimum extension for getting it in the 2nd hole.  The rear cam chain guide is pressed against the cam chain pretty tight with no wiggle room.  Is this okay?  Does it need a little wiggle room or is it just restoring some of the bow in the rear cam chain guide? 

I recently replaced a tensioner for a customer.  Took the measurement then removed the tensioner, then decided to take a pic with it installed.  Couldn't get it to the same measurement, it was very tight, tighter than you'll ever get it.

So I think it's ok.

But you could push the pawl to release and it may go in a bit.

WWW   IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #3 - 01/03/24 at 04:45:50

Thanks Verslagen.  That gives me some reassurance.  I’ll see if I can move the pawn and see if the plunger will compress.  I think it’s where it wants to be though.

I just don’t want it forced so tight by plunger extension that the rear cam chain guide gets chewed up by the chain.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 01/03/24 at 05:00:26

This comment isn't intended to turn this thread into a long affair - but some of us have installed a bit lighter springs so that the tensioner is not so aggressive.  When the spring pushes the plunger out enough for the pawl to catch a new tooth - the chain can get really tight as the engine gets up to operating temps.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #5 - 01/03/24 at 10:52:22

Interesting Dave.  I’ll refrain from asking a bunch of questions.  Shocked

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 01/03/24 at 13:35:55

Not afraid of some questions - I just didn't want to derail your thread too far away from what you intended.

For a lighter spring I really have no suggestions on where to get it - the stuff in the hardware stores can work if you get one that is not real flimsy.

Look for one about 1/2 the force of the stock one.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #7 - 01/03/24 at 14:14:33

Not derailing at all.  I liked your build on the topic.

You answered my question...  I'll just stick with my current spring load.  Thanks.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Re: Verslavy Cam Chain Tensioner Installation
Reply #8 - 01/03/24 at 17:02:12

My Verslagen Tensioner is stock.  

Someday, I'll get my Verslagen Head Plug installed.  The OEM unit I installed when I got the bike has been leaking for a few years now.   Embarrassed

IP Logged
zevenenergie
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

The Netherlands   Den Haag
Reply #9 - 01/04/24 at 11:03:49

Dave wrote on 01/03/24 at 05:00:26:
This comment isn't intended to turn this thread into a long affair - but some of us have installed a bit lighter springs so that the tensioner is not so aggressive.  When the spring pushes the plunger out enough for the pawl to catch a new tooth - the chain can get really tight as the engine gets up to operating temps.

I've heard you say that before. Then I thought about putting a rubber ring around the bolt to absorb the greatest force when the tensioner jumps onto the next tooth.
Would that work?

Do what you know is right. (you can always use fear as a counselor later)
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 01/04/24 at 12:43:00

zevenenergie wrote on 01/04/24 at 11:03:49:

I've heard you say that before. Then I thought about putting a rubber ring around the bolt to absorb the greatest force when the tensioner jumps onto the next tooth.
Would that work?

Having just been in to replace a tensioner, I think opposite of Dave, it's really tight when cold and flips over to a new tooth when hot.

But to answer your question, yes anything could help.  But I don't think rubber would be the best fix or there's enough room to put enough to make it work.
I did slot the hole and put in a spring to take up the slack but it's a lot of precise work, search keywork verjavy.  
Curent offering is VerslavyOT in the link below.

WWW   IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #11 - 01/04/24 at 13:09:07

Does OT stand for "Opposing Tensioner"?  I'd rename it Verslavy CCT+D.  Cam Chain Tensioner + Detensioner.   Wink

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 01/04/24 at 14:43:52

verslagen1 wrote on 01/04/24 at 12:43:00:
Having just been in to replace a tensioner, I think opposite of Dave, it's really tight when cold and flips over to a new tooth when hot.

I could be wrong.....my reasoning was that the aluminum cylinder and head expand more than the steel cam chain - but I really don't know for sure.  I have never dismantled a "hot" engine to see!

The goal of the lighter spring however is to just slow down how soon the tensioner pawl grabs a new tooth.

IP Logged
zevenenergie
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

The Netherlands   Den Haag
Reply #13 - 01/05/24 at 09:21:20

verslagen1 wrote on 01/04/24 at 12:43:00:
zevenenergie wrote on 01/04/24 at 11:03:49:

Would that work?

But to answer your question, yes anything could help.  But I don't think rubber would be the best fix or there's enough room to put enough to make it work.
I did slot the hole and put in a spring to take up the slack but it's a lot of precise work, search keywork verjavy.  
Curent offering is VerslavyOT in the link below.

Yes, that is the principle I meant.I see that this is a good way to do it and indeed laborious, but good.

Do what you know is right. (you can always use fear as a counselor later)
  IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 01/05/24 at 12:40:05

Don't intend to derail here -- regarding the chain guide, which we know bends (If I'm remembering correctly) significantly before the chain actually wears out of spec -- does replacing this guide necessitate removing the head? Or is it able to drop in with the valve cover removed?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/08/24 at 19:53:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Verslavy Cam Chain Tensioner Installation

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.