Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 ... 41
Send Topic Print
OK, it aint' the Dragon.. South Texas Savage ride? (Read 4805 times)
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: OK, it aint' the Dragon.. South Texas Savage r
Reply #375 - 04/05/15 at 07:05:48

I'm going to try to get a bigger set of saddle bags on next week.   The small set I have now have dried so much that one of the inner flap cracked yesterday.  Sad   ,   and the small size is almost too small . Wink

off to Ebay !  Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #376 - 04/06/15 at 20:02:57

While talking to a few fella's on the ninja site one near the sisters area says that the route is a little over 100 miles and only one gas station in the area.
Any feed back on that?
I am still kinda on the verge of fixing my oil leak and bringing my mini cruiser.
Don't want to run outta gas....  Smiley

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #377 - 04/06/15 at 21:26:32

Thanks for the info concerning the tire. I never thought about scrubbing it with comet or ajax. I just took it for a leisurely ride. Seems to be holding well. One question though, at the repair shop they filled the rear tire to 38 psi. The sticker on the bike says 32 psi I think. Should I leave it or bring it down to 32? I did my valves 2 or 3 thousand miles ago so I think they are fine. I just picked up an HD muffler, but is going to wait until after the trip.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #378 - 04/06/15 at 21:53:27

Hey, ya'll may want to check www.hillcountrycruising.com. I'll check it out better tomorrow. I need to get to bed. Good night.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #379 - 04/07/15 at 06:24:50

old_rider wrote on 04/06/15 at 20:02:57:
While talking to a few fella's on the ninja site one near the sisters area says that the route is a little over 100 miles and only one gas station in the area.
Any feed back on that?
I am still kinda on the verge of fixing my oil leak and bringing my mini cruiser.
Don't want to run outta gas....  Smiley

Here is the route for the sisters
2nd day sisters: http://goo.gl/maps/vwdkH
C to D is "The Loop" for the sisters.  It is 95 miles AND there is a gas station in Camp Wood (where 337 crosses 55 at the south west corner of the route).  So, appx 75 miles is the max you have to make on a tank.
No worries!  Cheesy

Those ninja guys.. what can you do?  Roll Eyes

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #380 - 04/07/15 at 06:27:17

springman wrote on 04/06/15 at 21:53:27:
Hey, ya'll may want to check www.hillcountrycruising.com. I'll check it out better tomorrow. I need to get to bed. Good night.

If anybody sees anything in there (or anywhere else) that they think is a "must do, must see", let me know and I will work the routes for it.  And they will be better routes than anyplace else can work up.  
Trust me..  Cool    Grin

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #381 - 04/07/15 at 06:29:47

springman wrote on 04/06/15 at 21:26:32:
Thanks for the info concerning the tire. I never thought about scrubbing it with comet or ajax. I just took it for a leisurely ride. Seems to be holding well. One question though, at the repair shop they filled the rear tire to 38 psi. The sticker on the bike says 32 psi I think. Should I leave it or bring it down to 32? I did my valves 2 or 3 thousand miles ago so I think they are fine. I just picked up an HD muffler, but is going to wait until after the trip.

My opinion, it depends on the tire.  SOME tire web sites list recommended pressure for their tires by motorcycle.  (Metzler does, or use to.. haven't checked in a long time).
I run 35 psi front and back.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #382 - 04/07/15 at 08:26:57

Thanks Youzguyz for both the additional info on the sisters and info on the tires.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #383 - 04/07/15 at 09:14:19

I have a brass cleaning wheel for my drill.... and when I want to "scrub" the tire I put it up on the stand, put it in neutral, and let the drill and brush go to town. Wink

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #384 - 04/07/15 at 09:21:20

What's up with all this new tire scrubbing and buffing?

Install new tire, go for a ride...avoid high speed turns and rain for the first 50 miles or 50 turns.  Don't try to scrape the footpegs in the turns for a couple hundred miles.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #385 - 04/07/15 at 09:43:49

Down here some of the "black top" is impregnated with sea shells and gets kinda slippery. It took them years to figure out that using the shells as a filler wasn't a good idea. But the roads last longer, so a lot of them have still not been redone with a newer safer road surface, so any extra grip sooner for us is better.
I spun out on Eglin Air Force Base with a light rain (in my truck), when I stopped, a Security Police Officer was sitting at the corner, and all he did was smile and wave me on, lesson learned... go really slow around that corner. Grin
I have always "roughed up" a new bike tire to get the shiny stuff off... don't remember who I got it from. Huh

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #386 - 04/07/15 at 09:48:19

Here is what Michelin says on their website, and it is pretty much what I do.  I just ride like the road and tires are slippery for a while.

Do I have to run my tires in?

Yes. When new tires are fitted, they need to be run in for the first 60 miles or so, gradually increasing the lean of the bike and keeping to a moderate speed before the tire reaches optimum performance.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #387 - 04/07/15 at 10:50:00

Dave wrote on 04/07/15 at 09:21:20:
What's up with all this new tire scrubbing and buffing?

Install new tire, go for a ride...avoid high speed turns and rain for the first 50 miles or 50 turns.  Don't try to scrape the footpegs in the turns for a couple hundred miles.

Yeah.. avoid all the stuff IF YOU CAN for the first 50 miles, or whatever.  
Until that time when you have just mounted a tire and you run into a situation where you have to do some agile maneuvering to stay up right and/or alive.

The scrub is nothing more than an extra bit of safety for my own peace of mind.  I also check the bead (is it on straight?), the valve stem (did they tighten it?), the spin direction (did they mount it bassackwards?), etc.  
The first miles after a new tire are always interesting.. as the handling can be different.. A LOT.  
Just making sure I have done all I can to insure the different handling isn't caused by something that went wrong.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #388 - 04/07/15 at 11:31:52

Gonna have to set aside the beast for the this trip, hopefully it'll be ready for the 1st dragon.
Put a new tire on the daily and the bead didn't fully set.
gonna have to pop it off and try again.

so there's company for you and your new tire.   Cool

WWW   IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #389 - 04/07/15 at 19:41:08

Hehehe.... I am attempting to prepare lil' Harley for the trip instead of the ninja....
The ninja is tried and true and has less worries maintenance wise, plus a big ol' tank. But lil' Harley is EASY to fix and work on....plus... if I break down.... all ya'all know how to fix it!
Looks like we are trading places on our rides Smiley

P.S. Maybe I should call it Imoharley.... like imitation Harley?  Warley? wanabe Harley?  Gimme a bone here.... LOL....

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 ... 41
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 16:19:25

General CategoryThe Cafe › OK, it aint' the Dragon.. South Texas Savage ride?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.