Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 ... 41
Send Topic Print
OK, it aint' the Dragon.. South Texas Savage ride? (Read 4805 times)
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: OK, it aint' the Dragon.. South Texas Savage r
Reply #300 - 03/09/15 at 07:17:25

OK  Smiley

So Now its off to a different parts store !  Wink

Buy the Redline ZDDP....one 16 oz bottle will do 8 oil changes in the Savage.

Thanks Guys !  Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #301 - 03/11/15 at 04:28:05

MMRanch wrote on 03/09/15 at 07:17:25:
OK  Smiley

So Now its off to a different parts store !  Wink

Buy the Redline ZDDP....one 16 oz bottle will do 8 oil changes in the Savage.

MM....I was wrong.  I mix to get about 1,400 ppm of ZDDP...which requires 2 oz. of the Redline for each "gallon" of oil.  That makes the Redline ZDDP 16 oz bottle good for 16 oil changes.....use 1 oz. for the 2 quarts in the Savage oil change.  If you mix the 4 oz. per gallon (2 oz. per oil change) you will get 1,856 ppm of ZDDP...which is a bit on the high side.

I have noticed that once I open the bottle of Redline.....after a few months there is a settlement of a white substance on the bottom of the bottle.  No amount of shaking would get it back into suspension - then I found if I put the bottle in hot water for a bit....it would go back into suspension when I shook the bottle.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #302 - 03/11/15 at 08:35:44

Thanks Dave , So what's the down side of too much ZDDP ?

and is it going to flow out when I drain the oil or accumulate with the next oil I put in  ?    

Right !    Huh  how is Dave sposed to know ?  But what do ya think ?

I saw some of that stuff at the parts place that advertised  to soak-into-the-metal like hand lotion into the skin (looked like a good idea , till I though of the clutch plates).

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #303 - 03/11/15 at 08:48:02

I am sorry this has turned into an oil thread....but here is some data I found:

And keep in mind for comparison with the oils below, that earlier oil industry testing has found that above 1,400 ppm, ZDDP INCREASED long term wear, even though break-in wear was reduced. And it was also found that ZDDP above 2,000 ppm, started attacking the grain boundaries in the iron, resulting in camshaft spalling. So, no matter what zinc fans might “believe”, there is such a thing as "too much of a good thing".

One fellow compared it to adding a couple of teaspoons of sugar in your COKE.....not a good thing!

It came from this document....which also has a lot of information for which oils have good reports for low wear.  (Remember....these may not be oils suitable for wet clutches - and that a lot of the racing oils do not have the additives for normal oil change intervals...racing oil is often changed after a few runs).

http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=35836

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #304 - 03/11/15 at 18:00:15

Thanks for the education.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #305 - 03/11/15 at 22:13:22

My Bike is ready to GO !   I had thoughts of taking the Harley because its 1150 miles one way --- but the S-40 is running  "GREAT" .   My little BlackBerry has its' long legs on , fresh oil , valves set at .003" is a stiff  pass but .002" passes easy , Michelin Commander II rear has only 9000 miles on it and the front  Shinko Tour Master was new last fall .  

I was ridding today and noticing the speedometer/GPS speed relationship.
When the Speedometer reads 50mph the GPS indicates 58mph , but it still will gain speed (5th gear) up the same hill that my S-10/2.5L truck would only roll over the top of at 45mph. no matter how fast I hit the bottom of it.   Still don't know what Fuel mpg is , its only been 84 miles since my first fill-up with the 45/145 jets in (stock breather),  it pops a little on deceleration --- but it always has .  Grin

youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #306 - 03/12/15 at 03:37:35

MMRanch wrote on 03/11/15 at 22:13:22:
My Bike is ready to GO !   I had thoughts of taking the Harley because its 1150 miles one way --- but the S-40 is running  "GREAT" .   My little BlackBerry has its' long legs on , fresh oil , valves set at .003" is a stiff  pass but .002" passes easy , Michelin Commander II rear has only 9000 miles on it and the front  Shinko Tour Master was new last fall .  

I was ridding today and noticing the speedometer/GPS speed relationship.
When the Speedometer reads 50mph the GPS indicates 58mph , but it still will gain speed (5th gear) up the same hill that my S-10/2.5L truck would only roll over the top of at 45mph. no matter how fast I hit the bottom of it.   Still don't know what Fuel mpg is , its only been 84 miles since my first fill-up with the 45/145 jets in (stock breather),  it pops a little on deceleration --- but it always has .  Grin

Most excellent!!!  Cheesy .. and very happy you are bringing the LS650 instead of the .. ummm.... Hardley Riddensome.   Grin

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #307 - 03/12/15 at 16:18:19

doing my oil change today too
Note: if'n you buy the K&N oil filter it does NOT come with a new o ring, hope the old one seals properly, it did the oil and discovered I didn't have enough oil, so gotta buy some more later, not about to start it without it being full to double check the seal
gotta check those pesky valves soon
I was burning roads today, too, prior to oil change gotta love the new shield

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #308 - 03/15/15 at 19:07:03

I took a 100 mile ride yesterday about 80 being highway miles. I thik riding the 270 or so miles to Kerrville should not be too difficult stopping every 100 miles or so. Riding speed was betwee 60 and 70 most of the way. I averaged 45 mpg. Not the best mpg. Looking forward to the 3 sisters,

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #309 - 03/17/15 at 04:01:49

springman wrote on 03/15/15 at 19:07:03:
I took a 100 mile ride yesterday about 80 being highway miles. I thik riding the 270 or so miles to Kerrville should not be too difficult stopping every 100 miles or so. Riding speed was betwee 60 and 70 most of the way. I averaged 45 mpg. Not the best mpg. Looking forward to the 3 sisters,

Tagging you as "in" on the first post.   Cheesy
Keep us informed on the details as you know them!

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #310 - 03/17/15 at 04:25:30

Cabin has 4 beds (2 bunks) and total capacity is 6.

So far, I am only showing 3 in the cabin for sure:
Verslagen, Art Webb - claimed a Bed
MMRanch has a cot and a tent if he has to be thrown outside.

Any other takers on Cabin space?
I nobody speaks up, I may just have to invade..  Shocked

BTW: Wildflower season has JUST started.. and it looks like it will be a big one!

For those of you on facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/texasbluebonnetsightings
(Thumper is down there a ways with a report.  Not a very good picture though ..  Sad )
Or, on my page:
https://www.facebook.com/neal.achterhof

What does this mean to us?
Well.. it could change some of the routes.  If it is a really bumper crop year, the Willow City Loop will be a parking lot of cars.  People aren't suppose to stop and take pics.. but.. what can you do?
Fortunately, most of the roads we will be on, most people don't even know they are there!  Grin

Also, the pollen might effect some.  Bring your allergy meds!!

And.. the SMELL.  Yeah, I like the smell.  but, there have been years when it was hard to breathe it was so heavy.   Ever walk past someone with too much perfume on?  Yeah.. like that..  Shocked

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #311 - 03/17/15 at 04:46:43

I have always wanted to see the Bluebonnets....after hearing Laurie Lewis sing this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bRwskEg5wA

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #312 - 03/17/15 at 21:30:13

Dave
Jump on that little Ninja (OldRider is bring his Ninja) and go  with us ... The Logistics are already taken care of !   Wink  First night stay at my house (OldFeller's room  Grin) ...  Then its mostly interstate all the way.  Smiley   When will ya get a better chance to take a "Three Day Cruse " ?

Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #313 - 03/18/15 at 03:45:33

MM....I just can't get away that long.  A few years ago we were down to 4 day work weeks and I could have done it.  This year we are really busy and we are all working like crazy to keep up.  If you have noticed, on just about all or our trips I have to be satisfied by making them long weekend trips.....I leave Wednesday night after work and then go back home on Sunday.  I can get a couple of days in a row of work in the summers - but not much more.

And if I was going to ride that far.....it would be on the Honda ST1100 that now has fresh tires and brake pads!

I would come if there was any way I could do it....I just can't get away that long.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #314 - 03/18/15 at 07:16:29

Dave

The semi-retirement "Ranch" life don't pay really good but it is flexible .  Wink

So its ------ Money or Time , Just like its always been  Undecided .

Cool

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 ... 41
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/01/24 at 04:17:22

General CategoryThe Cafe › OK, it aint' the Dragon.. South Texas Savage ride?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.