Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 ... 41
Send Topic Print
OK, it aint' the Dragon.. South Texas Savage ride? (Read 4805 times)
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Re: OK, it aint' the Dragon.. South Texas Savage r
Reply #285 - 03/05/15 at 22:25:02

atomikchicken wrote on 03/05/15 at 19:37:25:
Put your gear in a box and ship it to the camp ground office. Then ride with just your snivel gear on board.

Would be nice.... but um... its going to take me and MMR two days to get there.... so we needs to camp on the way.

And I am not sure how long i'll stay.... so I might need my tent on the way back also.

I will be traveling the interstate mostly on the way there and back.... and I really don't like to pitch a tent in the rain.....when a hotel is close by.... but I will.... maybe....LOL  Grin

P.S. I'm a cheap ol' fart by nature.... besides... i'm saving up for the fall dragon run with the wife.....so I figure i'l have to have about a zillion bucks for that one. Roll Eyes Cool

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #286 - 03/06/15 at 03:48:55

springman wrote on 03/05/15 at 19:41:39:
Thanks youzguyz. I don't know how to reply directly in the box where you commented, but thanks. If the weather will clear up a bit I will try to do a few longer rides and load the bike down a bit to see how it goes. Sore butt or not though, I want to ride the sisters.

Press the "Quote" button if you want to copy what some one says, then type below it. .. at least that is how it looks for me.

Just let me know (here or PM) if you want to meet me part way on 04/17.  We can figure a place to join up and I will bring the spare Air Hawk.

I rode to work this morning.  It was COLD (about 30), but at least it was dry.  Hope to bust out of here around noon and get a decent ride in today.. and tomorrow.. as rain hits again Sunday.  Geeezzzzz   Angry

BUT, freezing temps and rain COULD mean a great wild flower crop this year!  Cheesy

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #287 - 03/06/15 at 07:11:31

Quote:
but I think I've had Alzheimer's my whole life lol

Same here  Roll Eyes

OldRider
If we're going East on the same day then you don't have to bring a tent ?  Huh
I figured I'd leave ...  Roll Eyes ... maybe ??? Monday or Tuesday ???  Huh

Don't know if ya'll have discovered it yet , but ;  when the rear picks up extra weight , then it's good to put some of the weight on the front tire.   Something like the cot or tent (small heavy things) tied to the triple tree under the headlight is a good thing .  Smiley     Be careful to keep the weight OFF the front fender.   The front tire still needs to freely jump up and down sometimes.   "Just ,"what has worked good in the past"  --- Thats why the "Old Harleys and Triumphs had their TOOL bags hanging up there (some of them needed lots of TOOLS)  Grin, Grin Grin Grin

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #288 - 03/06/15 at 09:24:58

something else I need, a tool kit for the bike

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #289 - 03/06/15 at 15:15:05

youzguyz wrote on 03/06/15 at 03:48:55:
springman wrote on 03/05/15 at 19:41:39:
Thanks youzguyz. I don't know how to reply directly in the box where you commented, but thanks. If the weather will clear up a bit I will try to do a few longer rides and load the bike down a bit to see how it goes. Sore butt or not though, I want to ride the sisters.

Press the "Quote" button if you want to copy what some one says, then type below it. .. at least that is how it looks for me.

Just let me know (here or PM) if you want to meet me part way on 04/17.  We can figure a place to join up and I will bring the spare Air Hawk.

I rode to work this morning.  It was COLD (about 30), but at least it was dry.  Hope to bust out of here around noon and get a decent ride in today.. and tomorrow.. as rain hits again Sunday.  Geeezzzzz   Angry

BUT, freezing temps and rain COULD mean a great wild flower crop this year!  Cheesy

Thanks youzguyz. I really wanted to ride this morning also but I have been freezing all week long and so figured I would just take a ride tomorrow. I appreciate the offer to meet up with me on my ride in. I do not want to be a bother so let me get back to you on that. I will try to do seat raise mod and see how that feels first. Thanks again though for the offer.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #290 - 03/06/15 at 19:42:31

I'm taking a ride tomorrow - even if its only twice around the yard ! Smiley

The Weather person is claiming "near 60 degrees and sunshine"  Huh

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #291 - 03/07/15 at 16:28:59

Checking some routes..  OK..   not this way..   Huh

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #292 - 03/07/15 at 21:23:48

no pontoons?  Grin

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #293 - 03/07/15 at 22:03:19

Today I put in the 45/145 jets and the raptor cut-off valve, then took the S-40 for  a ride.   about  30 miles round trip. Smiley

picked up some ZDDP to change oil with at Auto Zone ... That's where it started !

Roll Eyes

The ZDDP was only $17.99
but I needed $20.oo worth of something so I could get my Auto Zone card credited toward my 5th free $20.oo.   So I started looking at OIL.   Anybody tried the "Castrol Edge 5w50" yet ?    Or am I to be the First ?    It brags about being "Longer Lasting"   I suspect anything with 16oz of ZDDP in it will be OK.   I'll change oil next week.

After warming-up the motor good I found the highest idle with the mixer screw out 2.5 turns and the motor pulls strong at higher RPM and is smother at the "Low speed in High Gear" stuff (2000 rpm in 5th gear seems softer pluses)

No pictures , but had a nice ride !  Cool

Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #294 - 03/08/15 at 07:26:08

MMRanch wrote on 03/07/15 at 22:03:19:
Today I put in the 45/145 jets and the raptor cut-off valve, then took the S-40 for  a ride.   about  30 miles round trip. Smiley

picked up some ZDDP to change oil with at Auto Zone ... That's where it started !

Roll Eyes

The ZDDP was only $17.99
but I needed $20.oo worth of something so I could get my Auto Zone card credited toward my 5th free $20.oo.   So I started looking at OIL.   Anybody tried the "Castrol Edge 5w50" yet ?    Or am I to be the First ?    It brags about being "Longer Lasting"   I suspect anything with 16oz of ZDDP in it will be OK.   I'll change oil next week.

After warming-up the motor good I found the highest idle with the mixer screw out 2.5 turns and the motor pulls strong at higher RPM and is smother at the "Low speed in High Gear" stuff (2000 rpm in 5th gear seems softer pluses)

does it say 'energy conserving' or anything like that on the bottle? if not, it's probably ok, so long as you add the ZDDP
if it does say that, don't use it, unless you like doing clutches

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #295 - 03/08/15 at 07:33:31

So I started looking at OIL.   Anybody tried the "Castrol Edge 5w50" yet ?

MM......Why not just buy the Shell Rotella T?  We know it works.

I looked that Bob the Oil guy site.  It sounds like the ZDDP will be OK based on this comment:

Castrol EDGE with SPT 5W-50 certainly meets the engine protection and performance requirements of the Ford spec for the GT 500. The one part of the specification that is not met is the maximum requirement for phosphorus in the motor oil. This is to address long term catalyst and emission system control protection. Castrol EDGE SPT 5W-50 is boosted with antiwear additive to ensure protection in older flat cam and tappet design engines. Raising the antiwear also raises the phosphorus in the formulation.

However - this is a car oil and is not a motorcycle oil, and it may have friction modifiers that make it bad for your clutch based on the following comment from Castrol:

Details on our formulations are of course proprietary to Castrol. However in moving to GF-5 we used high quality synthetic base oils as in GF-4. Changes were made in the additives where detergent balances and our exclusive dispersant technology were employed along with state of the art friction modifiers to achieve new levels of fuel economy and superior sludge control performance.

I wouldn't use the Castrol in my motorcycles.....might work great in your car.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #296 - 03/08/15 at 08:23:42

Roll Eyes

The ZDDP was only $17.99

What brand of ZDDP?    And you certainly don't put in 16oz of anybody's ZDDP in a 2 quart sump on a Savage.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #297 - 03/08/15 at 21:02:46

Friction modifiers ... I'll save the "EDGE oil"  for the car. Smiley

I've got some Rotella in the shop I'll use it .    So how much of the ZDDP should I put in ?  

http://www.autozone.com/motor-oil-and-transmission-fluid/engine-additive-and-...
its the only ZDDP they had .  Roll Eyes

Is there any such thing as too much ?    Actually I wouldn't know anything about ZDDP if I had not read about it here.   But it does say on the bottle about the "Flat Tappets "needing extra and  to use 1 bottle with 5 Qt. oil change.

For $18 + tax a bottle maybe I should make it last for two changes !  Wink

Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #298 - 03/08/15 at 21:36:03

rotella, unlike other oils, already has a fair bit of ZDDP in it, but I think there's a thread in the tech section with mixing ratios for those that want that extra peace of mind

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #299 - 03/09/15 at 05:05:31

MMRanch wrote on 03/08/15 at 21:02:46:
Friction modifiers ... I'll save the "EDGE oil"  for the car. Smiley

I've got some Rotella in the shop I'll use it .    So how much of the ZDDP should I put in ?  

http://www.autozone.com/motor-oil-and-transmission-fluid/engine-additive-and-...
its the only ZDDP they had .  Roll Eyes

Is there any such thing as too much ?    Actually I wouldn't know anything about ZDDP if I had not read about it here.   But it does say on the bottle about the "Flat Tappets "needing extra and  to use 1 bottle with 5 Qt. oil change.

For $18 + tax a bottle maybe I should make it last for two changes !  Wink

Well....I would not use the Hy-Per Zinc Replacement.  It has no zinc or phosporus in it.....it is friction modifiers and should not be used in a wet clutch.  I would take it back.

Order some Redline Zinc....and put 1 oz. per quart in the Rotella T.

Following is a quote form a post on "Bob is the Oil Guy", one fellow emailed the manufacturer and they said not to use it in a motorcycle with a shared sump (wet clutch).

"I've got 5 bottles of this in my basement. When I emailed the company about using it in a shared sump bike they said not to. I've used it in my mustang and truck with no noticeable running differences or fuel economy increases.  They told me it's sone kind of polymer blend that coats metal creating a super slick surface."

Buy the Redline ZDDP....one 16 oz bottle will do 8 oil changes in the Savage.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RED-81403/

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 ... 41
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/03/24 at 03:27:49

General CategoryThe Cafe › OK, it aint' the Dragon.. South Texas Savage ride?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.