Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 41
Send Topic Print
OK, it aint' the Dragon.. South Texas Savage ride? (Read 4805 times)
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Re: OK, it aint' the Dragon.. South Texas Savage r
Reply #195 - 02/18/15 at 22:11:44

Gents:

I have a KLR and it is a wonderful motorcycle.  Feel free to PM me if you have any questions, I can offer a good amount of insight.  Here is a recent pic.

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #196 - 02/19/15 at 03:20:01

I looked and the Suzuki is the DR400, the Kawasaki is the KLX400.  They evidently are the same bike - different badging.  Some years/models are true dual sport bikes with off/on road tires - other times they had smooth round street tires for Motard or Super Moto type riding (sliding around corners on the street).

I rode a friends KLR650, and it is pretty tall and heavy to be considered an "off road" bike to be tossed around.....it is more of an adventure tourer that can be ridden on gravel roads, fire roads, single track lanes, and loaded up with travel gear.  It is a bit taller and heavier (over 400 pounds with fuel) than anything I would want to try and do real "off roading" with.  When I was young we would try and climb the steepest hills we could find......and I can't imagine trying to pull the KLR650 off the side of one of those hills.  But  the KLR 650 is a great, durable and very capable motorcycle for riding on or off the pavement, and touring through the woods, or desert, or back roads.

If you want a dual sport you can throw around a bit easier....the 250 size bikes are fun - but highway speeds are pretty much limited to 60 mph on them.  A 400 might be a good compromise.  The Honda 450 would probably be a really good dual sport bike and it is not horribly big or heavy....although I had a neighbor with the motocross version and I could only touch the ground tippy- toe!  And don't forget the Suzuki DR650 - it is a lot like the Savage but is more refined and has more HP.

And lastly.....the KLX250 may be the most affordable, lightest and best at  the off road stuff.  It is capable of 65 mph according to this article, and if you look around you can find some that have been taken care of.
http://www.dirtrider.com/features/kawasaki-klx250s-real-world-test/

http://dayton.craigslist.org/mcy/4894827397.html
http://dayton.craigslist.org/mcy/4894827397.html

« Last Edit: 02/19/15 at 12:05:59 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #197 - 02/19/15 at 14:23:01

old_rider wrote on 02/10/15 at 04:01:05:
Heh... looks like you need to have a pair of semi-knobby tires on there! Yeah Dual Sport!   Grin Grin Roll Eyes

I have done a lot of damage to Thumper from riding "where the sidewalk ends".  Gas tank mount, on my 3rd headlight shell, 3rd rear fender, broken 2 spokes, snapped muffler mount, blown rear shock.. and probably other things I can't remember.   None of it from falling over, just the bouncing and jolts.

I just have a hard time wondering where that "road" goes unless I go and look.   And it IS a LOT OF FUN!

That fellow on the Ural w/side car.  He use to ride a Bergman 650 scooter!  We have done a lot of dirt together.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #198 - 02/20/15 at 03:17:04

I am working on the routes.  A couple things I need to know.

It is possible that some of you "wonder tinkerers" have hopped up the performance of your machine at the cost of fuel efficiency.
If your fuel range is under 100 miles, how far under?

Does anyone have any special dietary needs that would influence the kind of eatery we lunch at?

Kindly respond here.. or PM me if more appropriate  Shocked

And I will have a special gift ready for you when you arrive.  Ya'll can fight over who gets to keep it when the fun is over.   Grin

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #199 - 02/20/15 at 07:13:10

Thanks for working out the routes YGZ, not something I enjoy.
Hopefully, the oversized tank will be ready, but I expect 100 miles between fill ups, and I have no special requirements.

WWW   IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #200 - 02/20/15 at 07:58:09

Thanks for doing the homework Youzguyz  Smiley

My motor is still stock and gets between 50 and 55 mpg @ 55-60 mph.   I'm going for Longevity and best fuel economy with any change I make.   Smiley

Dietary plans ... far as I know the only two things I can't eat are two of the things that most Mexican food have in them.   But ... long as I can get a hamburger - anywhere is OK .   Bell Peppers and Onions turn my hemorrhoids inside-out and might-as-well be flesh eating acid to my system.   So , I might get a hamburger while every body else gets the Mexican Plate Lunch Special  Cool.  and thats OK ! Wink

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #201 - 02/20/15 at 10:00:31

My Bike is stock, mostly, so I get 100+ from a tank
I stay pretty low carb to keep my blood sugar in a good range, so I'm not into a lot of bread or pasta, but in most restaurants i can navigate the menu to meet my needs

i'd love to have a KLR 650 or something similar

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #202 - 02/20/15 at 11:36:48

youzguyz wrote on 02/20/15 at 03:17:04:
And I will have a special gift ready for you when you arrive.  Ya'll can fight over who gets to keep it when the fun is over.   Grin

We give prizes away at these events now? Huh

You guys from Texas always have to go and do everything up "BIG"!

We are given little bits of ground beef up here and some crackers to thicken it up - you guys have pieces of steak in your chili!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #203 - 02/20/15 at 11:41:40

I make my chilli with ground beef, lots of ground beef  Smiley

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #204 - 02/20/15 at 13:00:33

Pgambr

About that KLR  Huh  do ya cruse it 70-75 ?
After 400-500  miles a day are ya walking funny for a while ?
Is low gear so low that you take off in second a lot ?
When in High gear on the interstate do you still look  Roll Eyes for High gear ?

Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #205 - 02/20/15 at 13:45:50

We are given little bits of ground beef up here and some crackers to thicken it up - you guys have pieces of steak in your chili!

Dave,
I assume you are referencing Cincinnati style chili. For those not familiar with this poor excuse for food, it is a thin gruel served three way, four way, or five way. And before you testosterone dripping young studs get all worked up, a three way is spaghetti noodles, chili, and shredded cheddar cheese. A four way adds either onions or red beans. A five way adds both onions and red beans. All are served with a package of oyster crackers.

As a native Texan, I was truly offended that they served it on spaghetti and actually called it "chili." I did not, and do not care for it in the least. I had the opportunity to meet and speak awhile with the owners of the Gold Star Chili chain about 20 years ago. Their last name is Doad and they are from Jordan. Maybe Cincinnati chili is a Jordanian delicacy? Give me good old Tex-Mex chili any day of the week.

Rant over, sorry to hijack the thread.

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #206 - 02/20/15 at 14:27:25

I'm sorry you can't kill a hijack once it's started...  Wink

this "chilli" explains a lot to me, had an associate who said he made "chilli" with tomatoes.  now I've been known to throw in a cup of salsa in to cool in it down or heat it up (besides it's fun to watch the tomato pieces sizzle) depending on my needs.  but to stew tomatoes expressly for "chilli"?

He was from back around there so must be a regional thing.

WWW   IP Logged
wakosama

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, TX
Reply #207 - 02/20/15 at 18:29:48

So this is like a Savage rider get together in South TX?  Like Houston, or more San Antonio.  Since I just got one last week, I know nothing, so was wondering.  Sounds like fun.  Is there a secret handshake?

I am realizing I must have spent ALOT of time setting up my last bike, even though I don't remember it.  But this is my first cruiser. Maybe it's so different getting adjusted is strange.   I still keep stepping straight down for the pegs instead of forward.

This is a pleasant forum even with my abundant newbie questions.  Very helpful.  Nice.

Mich Cdr II 140/90R & 100/90F, raised seat, windscreen, clubman bars, T-Kat brace, Raptor, HD 64707-08, thumb decomp,
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #208 - 02/20/15 at 21:23:26

Wakosama wrote:
So this is like a Savage rider get together in South TX?

You can bet it is !  Smiley

First one too.  and the more Savages the better .   Texas hill country area.    We have been doing a yearly meet at the "Tail of the Dragon" NC/TN area sometimes two a year and still are.    This year Texas is getting added in (Thank you: Youzguyz  Wink)    
Back-up to the start of the thread , its a good read.   Then sign on to meet us in April.  So far we got a cabin full and a few in the campground but there is room for a lot more !  Smiley

And  "Welcome to the Savage Family"

pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #209 - 02/21/15 at 03:47:36

MMRanch wrote on 02/20/15 at 13:00:33:
Pgambr

About that KLR  Huh  do ya cruse it 70-75 ?
After 400-500  miles a day are ya walking funny for a while ?
Is low gear so low that you take off in second a lot ?
When in High gear on the interstate do you still look  Roll Eyes for High gear ?

Smiley

MM:

I'll answer your questions and offer a bit of insight as well.  The stock gearing on the KLR rides almost identical to savage.  I added one tooth to the front CS and it helped tremendously.  It lowered the rpms by about 350 or so.  It cruise  at 70 - 75 with no problem and can easily accelerate to 80 at any time.  The top end is in the low mid 90s.  The seat is not bad at all.  As you can see I have a sheep skin cover which helps.  I have done several 400 - 500 mile days with the most I have done in a go was 565.  If I was going to do something like that I would recommend an airhawk though.  Regarding the higher gear, a bit more would be nice; although, it is more comfortable in 5th with the bigger CS compared to the savage.

Dave's assessment of the dual-sports was very accurate.  The KLR is a single cylinder adventurer tourer.  It has fairings that give you a lot of wind protections and comes with a 6 gallon tank.  If you aren't interested in a KLR I would look at the DR.  If wights 50 lbs less and has the same displacement.  The drawbacks to the DR is the seat is notoriously awful and the tank holds the same amount as the savage.  The DR is lighter and will go to more places compared to a KLR.  The disadvantage to the KLR are the radiator shrouds will need to be protected with crash bars so expect to pay another $250 after you buy one.  It WILL need a bit of engine work.  The counter balance tension lever will need to be upgraded from the stock.  I hate to say it; although, Kawa sells it with a time bomb it them.  

The added suspension is absolutely wonderful and I would describe it as almost necessary given the condition of our roads today.  Also, it is a bit of a chore getting on it.  They do sit up high and one usually has to use the foot control to hoist your other leg over.  This will help a bit and if you have any questions feel free to post or PM.  

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 41
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 12:22:07

General CategoryThe Cafe › OK, it aint' the Dragon.. South Texas Savage ride?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.