Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ya never know when ya might need it (Read 167 times)
John in Kalifornia

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ya never know when ya might need it
10/29/14 at 17:26:18

I have been told by more than a few people that I have too much junk. I save most everything just in case I might need it "sometime." This includes parts from bikes long gone.

I orderd a jet set from Lancer. He seemed to think that the combo of the high flow  K & N filter, big diameter 1 3/4 inch Ryca upswept pipe and the emgo flow-thru muffler may cause some problems. He suggested I use a Supertrapp for more back pressure. I found an old one from an Honda Elsinore dirt bike, must be over 30 years old. The inlet was 1 1/4 but I figured I could bring that up with a couple of adapters.

This is how it would look.

Kinda dirty looking. I cleaned it up and painted it with VHT high temp paint. The can said it needed to cure for an hour at 200 degrees for better chemical resistance. So I used an old toaster oven for the "heat treating."

Next step, put it on the bike and see how it fits.

John in Kalifornia

IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Re: Ya never know when ya might need it
Reply #1 - 10/29/14 at 17:45:57

nice save!

I like to hord some nuts too

IP Logged
Spamy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 10/30/14 at 07:58:46

Nice.  We ran into some issues with a supertrapp on my brothers bike.  It sounded good, ran good too.  His motor is pretty modified, cam, S&S carb, ported etc.

The problem came in that the exhaust pressure kept wasting the disk stack.  We tried using a spring set up to allow the pressure to have some give.  In the end, the pipe just kept falling apart so it was taken off.

Hopefully you have better luck.

IP Logged
John in Kalifornia

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 10/30/14 at 20:21:43

I thought there might be a problem keeping the muffler on so I tried a belt and suspenders approach. First, after I mounted the Supertrapp, with the adapters between it and the exhaust pipe, I drilled a hole from the bottom thru the whole assembly. You can't see it but it is there. Then I screwed in a sheet metal screw through all 4 layers. This left the muffler dangling due to its own weight. I made up a bracket to fit between the tab on the muffler and one of the rear frame rails.

The pic shows me tapping the frame rail for a 6mm bolt.  Note the tyraps holding the muffler up. I made the bracket from 1/8 by 1 inch aluminum stock. The muffler is fastened to the bracket with a 6mm bolt and a lock nut.

As for the back pressure problem, I dunno. I have 10 or 12 discs but the Supertrapp is only 3 inched in diameter with a 1 1/4 inlet so might be quite a bit of back pressure. The discs are free to rotate as I have them retained with a spring under the double nutted rod. Here is what it looks like on the bike.

IP Logged
Spamy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 10/30/14 at 20:39:57

Looks great.  Looks like its a blast to ride.

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #5 - 11/02/14 at 01:03:28

Savage XR650 !  Cheesy

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 11/02/14 at 05:10:17

The 1 1/4" inlet neck will provide a bit of a backup effect after the 1 3/4" header it is hooked up to.  It will be interesting to see what that turns out to be.  I have steered away from some mufflers because of a small neck size like that but it is just slightly smaller that a stock header at 1.35" ID.

IP Logged
John in Kalifornia

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 11/02/14 at 06:39:10

And the price was righ!

As soon as I can figure out how to strip out all the extra unwanted extra wires and connect the electrics I'll try to get it started and give you a report.

Off to the Annual Hansen Dam British Bike ride this morning. Never know what I might bring home from there. Got the inspiration for the Suzuki street tracker from a Triumph I saw there a couple of years ago.

John in Kalifornia

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 02:50:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ya never know when ya might need it

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.