Send Topic Print
kickstand scraping (Read 110 times)
Jeff71

I'm a bike noob!!!!!

South of Chicago, the suburbs
kickstand scraping
10/25/14 at 10:37:28

Hey gang,
The bottom of my kickstand is scraping up the driveway. (Before the sly comments; Yes, when it is parked and yes, I know to put it up before riding. Grin ) Anyone ever put anything on the bottom of the kickstand to limit this? I was thinking I could bolt on a chunk of nylon from an old cutting board and see if that would help.
Jeff

Yeah, like I have any clue what is going on....
http://myrycabuild.weebly.com
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: kickstand scraping
Reply #1 - 10/25/14 at 10:47:03

Old cutting board, hockey puck,, whatever, just be aware the IF your safety switches are all still working and you hit a bump and the stand is deflected down before the spring hauls it back up, its gonna cut out & BakkFarr like nobodys bizniss,,
Otheres have done this for Oil Checkin reasons,, No one has demonstrated any pain or loss or suffering from doing that and adding oil till its visible at the veeeerry bottom of the window, Of course, the window would indicate over full when the bike is standing up.. I never did it, a few did, no one ever wrecked a motor..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #2 - 10/25/14 at 12:23:43

Stomp a beer can flat and stick it under the stand whenever you park. Keep the can in your jacket pocket, saddlebag, or where ever. Sooner or later it will come  in handy if you have to park on dirt or gravel or hot asphalt. Your smartphone wil work too,but its kinda tough on the phone☺

IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #3 - 10/25/14 at 20:52:32

If you wanted to be super fancy, you could get some of that spray-on rubber coating.  Several thick coats of that, and you won't have to carry around anything.  If you want to be basic, go with the flattened beer can or an empty dip can.

Was it Serow that bolted a cut up hockey puck to his kickstand?  It kinda looked like a horseshoe.  Grin

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 10/25/14 at 23:36:03

Since it Is Your driveway, you could toss a chunk of 1/2"plywood down to set the stand on.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 10/26/14 at 04:41:29

I put some heavy heat shrink tubing on the end of mine....it held up for a little while.

I now just have a small piece of carpet in the place where I park my bike inside (painted garage floor). Outside I don't worry about it as I have not noticed any marks on the concrete.....a small rubber floor mat would work where you park the bike.

I wonder if I took the kickstand to those folks that spray bedliner on pickup trucks (Rhino, Line-X, etc).........and had them spray the bottom of the foot on the kickstand.  I have tried sticking rubber products onto metal before with glue or two sided tape, and it doesn't work well as the rubber flexes and the metal doesn't and it breaks the bond.  You might also be able to just smear some epoxy on the foot and let it harden.....or epoxy a hard plastic sheet that doesn't flex like rubber.  As a last resort, you could drill a hole in the foot and bolt on a rubber foot (or hockey puck).  Serowbot did this as the longer shocks he used makes the kick stand too short and the bike leans over a long way.

« Last Edit: 10/27/14 at 05:22:27 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Jeff71

I'm a bike noob!!!!!

South of Chicago, the suburbs
Reply #6 - 10/27/14 at 17:31:41

Thanks crew! Cool
Jeff

Yeah, like I have any clue what is going on....
http://myrycabuild.weebly.com
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #7 - 10/29/14 at 09:28:15

Go to a few motorcycle events.... some vendors give away the "plastic pucks" that you throw down for your stand.

Most MC stores and dealers sell them, sometimes the vendors give the stores a few freebees. Ask your dealer, maybe they will give you one with their business name on it.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Drestakil

innocent bystander

Southern Illinois
Reply #8 - 10/29/14 at 18:50:50

If you can't fix it with duct tape, you're not using enough duct tape.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 07:30:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › kickstand scraping

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.