Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Thoughts on a next bike (Read 206 times)
NCSUindy09

Rollin'

Thoughts on a next bike
10/19/14 at 10:30:20

First of all, I would never get rid of my savage.  But I've been wanting something sporty.  I don't care much about top top speed(anything over 140).  I'm looking for a bike that handles really well and has good acceleration.  Something that's not too hard to do work on is a bonus.  I'm trying to stay under $3000 USD.

What about the SV650?  It's still a 650 so I'm not sure how much faster it will actually be.  They're pretty cheap and they look good without fairing.

Any other recommendations?

1986 Savage, 18k Miles. Cone air filter, drilled & wrapped exhaust. Stock carb and jets. Daily commute bike.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Thoughts on a next bike
Reply #1 - 10/19/14 at 10:36:03

If I wanted fun,quick,but not necessarily high speed,I'd look closely at the Kawasaki 250 and 300. They have forum support at near cult following levels and are about bulletproof.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #2 - 10/19/14 at 11:49:35

Quote:
It's still a 650 so I'm not sure how much faster it will actually be.

It's a 70hp 650. It will run rings around a Savage.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2012/08/13/suzuki-sv650-and-sv650s-best-used-bikes/

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #3 - 10/19/14 at 14:55:12

If I buy another bike it will be  Triumph America.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 10/19/14 at 18:40:48

If you want Sport Bike sporty....any 500cc sport bike will be sooooo much faster than the Savage.  And the naked bikes like the SV650 are so fast they can make your head spin....and also get you in trouble really quickly if you have a heavy right fist!

If you don't care about folks impressions and just want a really fun bike, the 300 Ninja is a bunch of fun....and so is the 250 Ninja.  It is about the same horsepower and acceleration as the Savage....but handles better and can cruise the interstates at 75 easily.....and gets 70 mpg!  They are cheap and plentiful and you can get really nice ones for $ 2,000 or less, they are cheap to insure.

Go ride some bike and see what feels and looks right to you....bikes are a very personal thing and you need to get the one that you like best!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
NCSUindy09

Rollin'

Reply #5 - 10/19/14 at 18:49:11

Ah yeah the triumph america is beautiful.  But I've got the savage for a cruiser.  I'd probably pass on the ninja 250 or 300 just because of how minimal the increase in power would be.  

What about the ninjas in the 600cc range?  Are they also indestructible?
650-750cc super sports (CBR, GSXR, R6) is what I was looking at before but i'm not sure I want the crazy in line 4 top speed.

1986 Savage, 18k Miles. Cone air filter, drilled & wrapped exhaust. Stock carb and jets. Daily commute bike.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #6 - 10/19/14 at 19:09:57

I'd though of getting a GS500 for a couple of years now.  So I check on prices and millage for them when I find em.   One of the most resent was  advertised as ;  "Runs great and only 87,000 miles.".   I have looked at the parts diagram on line.   They have replaceable babbitt bearing like cars do and look to be well made.   I wonder if the 500 motor is the same  design that began as a 425cc in the 70's or 80's , then 450cc for a while ?  The motors look alike .  Smiley

gs500.jpg

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 10/19/14 at 19:51:30

And Nuthing sux quite like buying a bike,then finding out about another bike that kixxbutt and costs less.. Seriously, check out the little Kawasakis, hunt up a forum,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #8 - 10/19/14 at 19:56:27

NCSUindy09 wrote on 10/19/14 at 18:49:11:
Ah yeah the triumph america is beautiful.  But I've got the savage for a cruiser.  I'd probably pass on the ninja 250 or 300 just because of how minimal the increase in power would be.  

What about the ninjas in the 600cc range?  Are they also indestructible?
650-750cc super sports (CBR, GSXR, R6) is what I was looking at before but i'm not sure I want the crazy in line 4 top speed.

The ninja 650 is a twin. Performance is comparable to the sv650. It has taller,wider bars and the pegs are lower and not as far back as on the true sport bikes. Sort of a standard with roadracer style bodywork. The Kawasaki 600cc inline four is the ZX-6R which is a true sport bike, and much more expensive.

The Kawasaki Versys uses the same motor as the 650 Ninja, but I think it might be tuned a little different. And the motor in the new Vulcan S cruiser is based on the Ninja twin.
For the past few years a lot of teams have been using the 650 Ninja twin in AMA Expert Twins flat track bikes. They have been beating the Harley XR 750s pretty often, and I've read that, even tuned for racing, they don't need rebuilding as often as the Harleys. Based on that, I'd guess that in stock condition they are probably pretty stout.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #9 - 10/19/14 at 20:24:07

NSCU  If you can, go to a kawa dealer and see if you can test ride, the 300 ninja...trust me, I , like you really don't NEED to do 140.
How big are ya?  I'm 5'10, 165lbs, 30" inseam and the 300 is all the bike I want or need.
I've drivin' it twice from the Florida panhandle to tennesse, and into the NC dragon area. Not a problem, handles awesome in the twisties and has enough to pass on the interstate. It runs comfortably at 65-70 even though it is a really low geared bike (you go through 3 gears getting up to 40mph).
I have topped mine out at 110mph, but that was just to see what it had, I rarely go over 70 and it gets in the mid to upper 60mpg range (unless you twist the heck out of the throttle! Its hard not too! LOL)
Fuel injected, water cooled, runs like a little top, makes me grin everytime I get on it (and that's every day now).
Oh and its combo steel and aluminum frame keeps it at a measly 362lbs. Easy for an old guy like me to pick up.
Oh, and did mention I made mine pretty?  Roll Eyes

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
NCSUindy09

Rollin'

Reply #10 - 10/20/14 at 09:20:22

Yeah I'll see if I can arrange a test ride somehow.  There is a suzuki dealership near my house so I might see if I can try an older SV650 first.  Up to this point I didn't know the ZX-6R was not the ninja.  I've got some friends who might let me try theirs.  
Thanks for the comments

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #11 - 10/20/14 at 18:33:54

NCSUindy09 wrote on 10/20/14 at 09:20:22:
Yeah I'll see if I can arrange a test ride somehow.  There is a suzuki dealership near my house so I might see if I can try an older SV650 first.  Up to this point I didn't know the ZX-6R was not the ninja.  I've got some friends who might let me try theirs.  
Thanks for the comments

I think Kawasaki calls them all Ninjas, but the 300,650 and the 1000 Ninjas are very different from the Z models.

Yamaha also makes a couple of bikes you might want to look at if you really want something around 650cc. The FZ6R, which is a direct competitor to the 650 Ninja, and the new FZ- 07 which is a naked bike like the SV650.

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #12 - 10/20/14 at 22:19:34

SV650 is a killer motorbike. Really nice, and fast enough IMO. Like MMRanch suggested, I'd recommend looking at the GS500. They are just about indestructible, and Cheap too. They look good naked and sound OK.   Tough choice though, there's too much to choose from  Cheesy. (If you want to know what I'd buy, that's different. Ducati Monster. No contest. Fast, funky, reliable and can be had fairly cheaply. I'd suggest a RE Continental GT, but that's slower than the Savage so doesn't fill your needs).

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #13 - 10/21/14 at 07:58:52

You come from a thumper, may I suggest you stick with a thumper or, at best, a big twin (not HD related  Wink )

Yamaha makes the nice MT-1 (big 1100cc twin, meaty yet easy to ride) and the smaller and lighter MT-3 (600cc single with a cafè-racer style frame)

The japs still make big bore enduros (Yamaha XT and the like)
The japs still make mid-size twin-sports (Honda TransAlp and the like)

Yet... the picture is clearly incomplete if you don't consider European manufacturers.

BMW made the excellent R850, R1100 and 1150 flat twins, test ride one before you "...naaah...", you'll be surprised beyond belief !
(I certainly was... I ride a 105bhp R1200ST which will easily match the Savage's fuel economy, yet accellerate out of my socks if I dare twist the throttle!)
They come in plain jane "R", RS (cafè racer), RT (long haul tourer) and GS versions.

Moto Guzzi make the excellent V7, a 750cc V.twin with "only" 48bhp (51 in its very first version) which combines Italian frame design and Italian Guzzi mechanics with japanese reliability.
It's over 100lbs lighter than a HD 883 Sportster, shaft drive "without" the clunky gearshift of old, terriffic fuel economy and the looks of 1970's vintage.

Guzzi also made the excellent V1100-V1200 V-twins such as the Bellagio. Pulls girls more than any Harley...  Cool

Both Guzzi and BMW may look heavy, but have the agility and maneuverability of a bicycle once going.

If you want to go British, Triumph hase more models than I care remember.

If you must go japanese... consider kawasaki's W650/800: brit looks with japanese engineering (Kawasaki at that !)

Difficult choices...  Wink

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #14 - 10/21/14 at 08:01:25

PS I don't even know if it's exported to the US, but CAGIVA (formerly Aermacchi HD-Italia) make the wonderful Raptor;
Suzuki SV engine on an Italian frame with Italian-spec suspension and brakes...

...another kind of animal...  Wink

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 18:05:27

General CategoryThe Cafe › Thoughts on a next bike

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.