Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 ... 31
Send Topic Print
Dragon Run #1, Summer, 2015 (Read 4598 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Dragon Run #1, Summer, 2015
Reply #285 - 06/01/15 at 05:14:52

With the current weather forecast - Wed, Thur, Fri appear to be the riding days.....and Saturday is iffy.....Sunday appears wet.  And all of this could change  in the next 10 days.

The Wheels of Time Museum in Maggie Valley is really nice, and it would be fun to go through it with a group of guys.  Most of the bikes and cars run, and if you follow the tour guide you will some of the bikes running.

I didn't see one potential issue with me hauling tents....until now.  I am a "long weekender".....and will most likely be leaving on Sunday as I do have to get back to my job.  It is our busy season and I need to get back to the office, and the beginning of the week is always hectic.  We need to discuss the "tent issue" a bit, and see if a cabin needs to get rented for Mon-Wed after I leave.  Most likely a cabin will be available early in the week, they seem to get booked up mostly on the weekend.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #286 - 06/01/15 at 06:31:23

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/cruso-nc/28716/month/2096614?monyr=6/01/2015

Soggy Sunday takes its first toll --- Dave is outta there on Sunday.

Cheesy

Lets try to see who's where and what tents etc. are going to be there when.

Dave will have a tent on Thursday the 11th which he and I will be sharing up until Sunday the 14th when Dave leaves (on a soggy pack up day).

MM is supposed to bring a tent when he comes on Thursday/Friday which may get put up over the weekend as extra folks roll in.   It will definitely go up on Sunday as MM and I will be homeless without it.

We have at least one floor sleeping space inside Cabin #4 and we have gone as high as two people on the floor in #4 but it got sorta leg/arm/head stompy at night in the dark with folks getting up to go to the bathroom.

<stomp>        "Ouch !!"      "Sorry"

Now take a look at the forecast and click on the days, Soggy Sunday has just been downgraded from 12 hours of steady heavy rain to just an afternoon thunderstorm good for 0.17" of rain covering only 2 hours worth of wet.   Saturday still has the ugly picture showing, but has been downgraded to a zero chance of precipitation once you click on the day.

Grin   Laugh at it and realize that the automated mountain forecast will yo-yo back and forth and back and forth between some serious rain and nothing ..... up until Sunday the 14 tells us what reality is really going to be.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #287 - 06/01/15 at 08:29:51

Now take a look at the forecast and click on the days, Soggy Sunday has just been downgraded from 12 hours of steady heavy rain to just an afternoon thunderstorm good for 0.17" of rain covering only 2 hours worth of wet.   Saturday still has the ugly picture showing, but has been downgraded to a zero chance of precipitation once you click on the day.

Thanks Lancer , that worked really fast !  Wink

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #288 - 06/01/15 at 09:35:26

I don't have a tent, though I could likely get one
Icould likely put a tarp up over the ranger's bed and make a 'truck tent' lol
I'm surprised no one has jumped on the 'cabin floor' space yet

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #289 - 06/02/15 at 06:57:34

Well, the bad weather has been rebuked and has evaporated completely now over the weekend.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/cruso-nc/28716/month/2096614?monyr=6/01/2015

Dave is taking his tent home with him on Sunday, MM is bringing a tent so we will always have room for 5-6 people (with a max count of 8 people when Dave is here).

Weather looks BEAUTIMOUS --- we are going to have a nice dry trip now.

Grin

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #290 - 06/02/15 at 07:42:15

When I look at the weather it still says "a thunderstorm in spots" for Thursday, "rain and a thunderstorm" for Friday, and a "strong thunderstorm possible" for Saturday......but Sunday did improve and is forecast for "partly sunny". Smiley  (I did refresh my browser just in case I was getting old news).

While we really won't know for sure for another 7 days what really is going to happen - I am hoping and praying for an even better forecast.  And I suggest you still pack your rain gear just in case. Huh

For my own understanding....

Wed June 10th (+/-) Lancer, Verslagen arrive at MMRanch's.  Dave arrives at the Blue Ridge Campground in the afternoon.    
Thur June 11th -  Dave already at Blue Ridge by cabin #4, Oldfeller arrives in the PM.
Fri June 12th - MM's group packs up and heads to Blue Ridge Campground.....Oldfeller and Dave may ride to Tellico Plains to meet the group.  Art Webb and Springman may be arriving at the Blue Ridge (Plans adjusted as needed to welcome the Texan's).  
Sat June 13th - Riding
Sun June 14th - Riding......Dave packs up and heads home unless weather is irresistible.
Mon June 15th - Riding
Tue June 16th - Riding
Wed June 17th - Pack up and head home.

(Have I lost old_rider somewhere 10 pages ago?....Said he was coming and I just sent him a PM).
(projectfj was also very interested and I just sent him a PM).

Art/Springman:  If you can arrive late Thursday or early Friday morning, we can leave the Blue Ridge as a group of 4 and meet MMRanch's group at Tellico Plains.  This is a great ride with lots of long smooth curves, lots of elevation change, great views, a really nice River on the Tellico Plain side of the Skyway, and a river and Katz Deli to sit back and wait for the gathering.  There is also a biker gear shop up the street in case you need some leather chaps!

« Last Edit: 06/02/15 at 09:50:58 by Dave »  

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #291 - 06/02/15 at 18:16:36

Thursday night / Friday morning sounds great to me, as does long sweeping curves  Cheesy
I broke down and bought a ramp today, I want no unpleasant surprises on Thursday morning
I guess $100 is a decent price for a folding aluminum one with the requisite curve  Undecided
I need to start getting my stuff together

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #292 - 06/02/15 at 18:39:02

The Blue Ridge makes you park cars/trucks out front, and they have a railroad tie and earth loading dock you can back up to, and I will also have a straight ramp.

They have small wagons that you can borrow to haul your gear from the parking lot to the campsite.

I heard from projectfj, and he won't be able to make it this trip buy will try for the later one at Deals Gap.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #293 - 06/02/15 at 21:17:26

Yeah I meant here in Texas
two spots I had thought would work turned out no too, and we won't know how well Springman's neighbors driveway will work till I get there
Don't wanna spend a few hours looking for a better spot  Grin
I should own a ramp anyway, owning a truck so you can haul a bike but not owning a trailer or ramp isn't all that workable  Grin

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #294 - 06/02/15 at 21:41:37

Art Webb wrote on 06/02/15 at 21:17:26:
Yeah I meant here in Texas
two spots I had thought would work turned out no too, and we won't know how well Springman's neighbors driveway will work till I get there
Don't wanna spend a few hours looking for a better spot  Grin
I should own a ramp anyway, owning a truck so you can haul a bike but not owning a trailer or ramp isn't all that workable  Grin

HF has 6' ramps on sale for $40

WWW   IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #295 - 06/02/15 at 22:02:42

I don't see that on their site here
Oh well, done is done, and the nearest HF is in Houston, over 200 mile round trip and bad traffic, might be worth the xtra $60 to avoid that
actually more like $36 once you factor in gas to drive that far (assuming 20 mpg for Ranger)

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #296 - 06/02/15 at 22:27:06

well, check your route, might be one on the way.

WWW   IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #297 - 06/03/15 at 06:23:13

Art, I am down to one car at the moment so cannot do it today, but I could swing by HF this weekend and pick up a ramp if you want me to.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #298 - 06/03/15 at 06:30:02

springman wrote on 06/03/15 at 06:23:13:
Art, I am down to one car at the moment so cannot do it today, but I could swing by HF this weekend and pick up a ramp if you want me to.

You might also want to check Tractor Supply and Home Depot or Lowe's.  I bought my ramps at Tractor Supply on sale, and sometimes they mail out Discount flyers.

The weather forecast has taken a turn for the worse, hopefully they will once again change their minds in the next 7 days.  Unless it is a total rain out I will still come - but I may switch bikes as the Cafe' bike is not fun in the rain.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #299 - 06/03/15 at 07:31:42

We are a week out now so all forecasts go into "cover my butt" mode and the pictures get pessimistic for what the clicked upon daily precipitation amounts and time spans would indicate.   Sometimes the predicted amount and duration don't change but the pic gets uglier looking.

Harsh fact in forecasting is that you get no garbage from anybody if the weather is BETTER than predicted, but you catch hell for "missing it" if the weather is worse than you predicted.

And YES, if you want to bring your bigger, more comfortable bike I would certainly do that -- we aren't going speed racer this time around and there aren't any shows to win so you might as well have a completely comfortable, nice cruise with the rest of us.  

You will not have the bulkiest bike there, by a long shot as a Hogly or two will outmass you.

I'd like to sit on your cuddly Honda anyway -- always was curious about them long distance V-4 sports jobbies ......

Wink      And, if you bring the Honda your odds of staying the whole trip go way up, too.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 ... 31
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 08:24:58

General CategoryThe Cafe › Dragon Run #1, Summer, 2015

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.