Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 31
Send Topic Print
Dragon Run #1, Summer, 2015 (Read 4598 times)
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Re: Dragon Run #1, Summer, 2015
Reply #240 - 05/22/15 at 22:05:18

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 05/22/15 at 18:37:49:

One bike normal, tire pointed at a front corner.

Other bike pointed at the diametrical opposite corner (tailgate corner).

Your fundamental mistake is trapping the bike hard against the steel bed instead of against another sets of straps.   This crushing force that gets exerted can damage the bike and the bed (been there, done that).

For example, my bike sits upright in a shallow channel stopped by nothing and held by nothing --  nothing but an opposing set of straps.   I don't run straps to the handle bars, I run an opposing pair of straps off the top shock mount and the bottom rail of the triple tree.

But hey, do it in a manner that makes sense to you.  

Just remember, if one strap lets go and your rig gets pulled over sideways as a result then you don't have enough straps on the job (and they likely aren't placed right either).

Well shoot OnS, just doing it the way I was taught
At a M/C shop no less
Come to think of it, how many M/C shops have busted engines for forum members?
I never had a strap come loose, but there's a first time for everything
I'll figure it out
I don't tie bike by handlebars, either, that's just silly

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #241 - 05/23/15 at 04:04:59

Nope, just reliving an old dented by the front tire truck bed and a bent side stand episode of my very very own where I did all these things.   Life tends to teach us by experience, now doesn't it?  

This was two supposedly knowledgeable people doing what they had always done, jacking down on a pair of handle bar straps, trapping the bike against the truck bed.   Yep, them ratchet straps can exert enough force to dent a flimsy modern truck bed, and enough force to bend a side stand.   What they can do to a spoked front wheel "true" isn't super friendly either.

I am also remembering my attempts to design a front wheel based bike towing rig, one which did go sideways when a strap tension pair rearranged things when the bike went over a bump and there was enough free motion in the front end from the "bump free play" to allow the entire bike some motion.   Ugh, that was a huge embarrassing failure to be sure.  Knocked my front wheel all out of kilter and required re-truing it did.

When you come you will see the rig that resulted from all my past bike damaging hauling mistakes -- a tire channel, a free floating bike supported by lots of relatively low tension straps with the front and rear shocks about 3/4 compressed to provide the "clamping force" which only goes straight down to the floor through the tires.

Also remember to cut your petcock off before hauling your bike --- I learned that one the hard way too.

Wink    

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #242 - 05/23/15 at 07:02:48

Ohhh ratchet straps, big no no, first thing they told me, only use cam buckle type lol
Reason they gave was, fully compressing the forks could blow the seals
And as you have shared, could mess the front wheel up, too
I'm doing a bit of studying up on how others have done this (2 bikes in a small truck) seeing what look good and what looks wrong

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #243 - 05/24/15 at 10:04:57

http://www.blueridgemotorcyclecamp.com/

Wed June 10th - MMRanch staging visitors from the far West.    
Thur June 11th -  Oldfeller and Dave already there by cabin #4
Fri June 12th - MM's group packs up and headto Blue Ridge Campground  
Sat June 13th -
Sun June 14th -
Mon June 15th -
Tue June 16th -
Wed June 17th - Pack up and head home.

========================================

WE ARE STILL TOO FAR OUT FOR ANY FORM OF REAL WEATHER ACCURACY .... it is all guesstimates right now.   The forecast tightens up at 2 weeks out but it will always say some chance of showers (mainly because up in the mountains there is always that chance).   Look at the individual days for the amount of precipitation, those 0.2" days are a heavy morning mist which also always happens all the time up in the mountains.

We've been through this before so you will always get you a 10 day out cancellation warning in case of fairly well predicted heavy bad weather (in time to get your money back on a cabin reservation).   If you are tenting, you will get cold at night and a bit dew wet each morning -- count on it.   So bring a bag and a blanket or two.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/cruso-nc/28716/month/2096614?monyr=6/01/2015

..... and count on it, you will meet up with a rain cloud at least once during the trip.   Stop and eat lunch or dinner, the road will be drying by the time you are done.  

Or ride on and get soaked, we have done it both ways.   (you dry out in an hour or so anyway)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #244 - 05/25/15 at 07:53:13

My boss didn't have an answer for me yesterday re the time off
if I get it, me and springman will be showing up sometime friday
Wondering what time the group is gonna leave for the ride, so I know whether to aim for MMRs place, or go to the Dragon

Hmmm, Springman said it was a 20+ hour drive, but mapquest says 14, might get in late thursday or early friday

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #245 - 05/25/15 at 17:59:54

Man, if it is only 14 hours that is much, much better than I thought. I thought it was about 950 miles.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #246 - 05/25/15 at 20:40:46

We can hold-off on leaving Friday if we know your coming  Wink  , but we need to leave by Mid-Day-ish.

Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #247 - 05/25/15 at 22:07:01

springman wrote on 05/25/15 at 17:59:54:
Man, if it is only 14 hours that is much, much better than I thought. I thought it was about 950 miles.

Mapquest shows 1003 miles, and gives a time of 14-16 hours
that figures an average speed of a bit ovr 70, nad doesn't count gas or food stops, but I can snark food down pretty quick when I'm motivated
or it's possible to eat while driving
I still didn't get a answer on the time off
My buddy might have a trailer he'll make me a deal on, though I have figured out how to do both bikes in the truck
Can't put em in at much of an angle, the wheelwells are in the way, but I can load them in and angle the front wheels into the bed corners, so they'll ride side my side
still think the trailer would be the better option though
MM when we can get there will depenmd on what we get for time off, but I'm off thursday, so even if Springman has to work, we could leave Spring by 6-7 ish if we get his bike loaded directly after work (assuming his job is 9-5)
best case there would be getting there aroung 9-10
If we can leave earlier, well, thursday night arrival (might even get to shoot some  Grin)

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #248 - 05/26/15 at 08:26:23

Hey fellow savages!

I wanted to give notice that I won't be making this trip as initially planned/hoped. It's not all bad news though.  I will be making the trip the weekend of 6/19.  I have an old/close friend that now lives in MO (I am in AL) that I rarely get to see and in our 3-4 years of 'talking' motorcycles we have yet to ride together.  So, I was able to switch up my schedule and use this as an opportunity to visit with an old friend and as well finally take our first ride together.

Yeah, sounds cheesy when you say it like that, but he has had some health scares in recent years and God has blessed him to still be here with us.  I try to remember that we shouldn't take for granted the time we have with friends and family. When they leave us, they usually do it quickly and you've gotta enjoy them and life while you can.  

I hope you all have a good, safe trip and I hope to still catch up with you all on another trip, maybe the late summer trip!

Stew

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #249 - 05/26/15 at 08:33:55

Art --- Ya'll can leave your truck at my house weather I'm home or not.  Cool

So don't hurt yourselves getting here .   That said, It would be great  Cheesy to have a larger group for the ride to Telico Plains .   From Lynchburg we will go : North on Hwy 55 about an hour then , East on Hwy 30 about 3-4 hours to Telico Plains where we jump on the SkyWay for an hour, that puts us at the South end of the Dragon on US-129.Smiley
The Camp-Ground is about an hour South of the Dragon  

You will burn a lot less fuel w/out the trailer .  Wink   ,   I have a "Wall" you can back-up to for unloading -- or -- ramps also.

Versey and Lancer will have two Bikes in Versey's truck - not for the first time either !  Wink  .   they have always been unloaded before I got there so your guess is as good as mine to how it works .  Huh

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #250 - 05/26/15 at 11:28:13

Maybe too early to tell.....and spotty cell phone service in the mountains makes this difficult to set up "on the fly" - but I imagine the Oldfeller and I can ride out the Cherohola Skyway to Tellico Plains to meet you guys on Friday.  Cats Deli was a great meeting place....and who could object to getting to ride the Skyway both directions with lunch in between?

Art:  If you decide to go to the Blue Ridge Campground rather than to MMRanch's house.....just let us know and we can watch out for you.  I imagine it is a 2-3 hour ride from the BlueRidge Campground to Tellico Plains (depending on stops and traffic)....so I imagine we will have to leave camp about the same time that MM and his gang are leaving the house.

If you all want to PM me your cell phone numbers.....I will compile a list and send it back to everyone that is coming.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #251 - 05/26/15 at 11:59:18

Hey Art, I got my time off confirmed starting Thursday, so we can leave really early a.m. Thursdayif you want. I have looked up the dimensions of the bike and it is gonig to be a really tight fit. But I'm game if you are.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #252 - 05/26/15 at 12:14:37

Stew, you enjoy your ride. You are so right, we need to make the most of the time the Lord gives us on this earth and enjoy the good people He puts in our path. Ride on!!!

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #253 - 05/26/15 at 13:56:19

Well MM, I prefer to follow someone when I ride an unknown area, it's hard to use the cell for GPS without a mount  Grin
As far as gas mileage with / without a trailer, in my experience it makes no difference with a truck, with a trailer you're pulling extra weight, but with bikes in the bed you have more aerodynamic drag
And Versy's truck ain't no Ranger, it has a wider bed
I can likely get a trailer if I have to (worst case I could rent a Uhaul trailer lol)

Dave I will PM you my number today, although i still don't have a definite answer as of yet as to time off, if I get it it looks like me and Springman can get moving pretty early, we should be able to get in Thursday night I hope

Springman I'm gonna do a test load on my bike soon and see how much room there really is
I'm pretty sure both bikes will fit, just not parked slantways nose to tail, It'll likely be as I said, mostly forward aimed and wheels into opposing bed corners
I'm very confident they'll fit, even if I gotta do some heavy lifting, just that kitty corner would put the rear tire of one bike would be sitting on the wheel well of the truck
I'm looking into maybe better anchor points, too, if I don't go the trailer route (there are advantages to that that have nothing to do with gas mileage)

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #254 - 05/28/15 at 06:01:48

Currently I have cell phone numbers for:

springman
MMRanch
Oldfeller
Art Webb
Dave

If you want to have a cell phone number listed with the group before the trip.....send my your cell number and I will then email the group list to the members going on this trip.  This will be beneficial if a member gets separated while at the ride.....or for Art and Springman (or any others) that will be coming and need to find out where we are.  We do have WiFi access while at the Blue Ridge Campground - but we most often only take advantage of that in the evenings after we get back from the days ride.

The weather has been making a shift towards less rain.....I hope that trend continues.  The weather forecast really won't be all that accurate until another week has passed.

« Last Edit: 05/28/15 at 09:51:28 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 31
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 12:23:17

General CategoryThe Cafe › Dragon Run #1, Summer, 2015

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.