Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 31
Send Topic Print
Dragon Run #1, Summer, 2015 (Read 4598 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Dragon Run #1, Summer, 2015
Reply #225 - 05/21/15 at 13:15:23

By my imperfect recollection we still have two groups of people that haven't come back with their hard plans.

By pressing for a response now we forgo the joys of  "surprises" when we show up with more people than beds.

But hey, what is life without surprises ......

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #226 - 05/21/15 at 15:00:00

Well Oldfeller, Art and I are doing what we can to show up for at least the weekend rides. We'll keep our fingers crossed.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #227 - 05/21/15 at 15:26:40

Me and Springman are a go to leave here on thursday or friday if I can get the time off, gonna ask about it tonight when I go shopping
I got the Ranger, and there's a good chance i can borrow a trailer
if not the ranger will haul 2, but if we get a third it'll be best to have a trailer
I can't say for sure I'll get the time, and if I do we'll miss the shootin fun at MMs (shame cause I just acquired a new one, at least new to me)
and we'll likely have to leave Tuesday from what Springman is thinking, but even if we only get 2 actual days there, it'll still be fun

Next year I really gotta plan better, but I won't need to buy a bunch of gear next time, that'll make the moola easier

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #228 - 05/22/15 at 07:43:08

http://www.blueridgemotorcyclecamp.com/

Wed June 10th - MMRanch staging visitors from the far West.    
Thur June 11th -  Oldfeller and Dave already there by cabin #4
Fri June 12th - MM's group packs up and headto Blue Ridge Campground  
Sat June 13th -
Sun June 14th -
Mon June 15th -
Tue June 16th -
Wed June 17th - Pack up and head home.

========================================

WE ARE STILL TOO FAR OUT FOR ANY FORM OF REAL WEATHER ACCURACY .... it is all guesstimates right now.   The forecast tightens up at 2 weeks out but it will always say some chance of showers (mainly because up in the mountains there is always that chance).   Look at the individual days for the amount of precipitation, those 0.2" days are a heavy morning mist which also always happens all the time up in the mountains.

We've been through this before so you will always get you a 10 day out cancellation warning in case of fairly well predicted heavy bad weather (in time to get your money back on a cabin reservation).   If you are tenting, you will get cold at night and a bit dew wet each morning -- count on it.   So bring a bag and a blanket or two.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/cruso-nc/28716/month/2096614?monyr=6/01/2015

..... and count on it, you will meet up with a rain cloud at least once during the trip.   Stop and eat lunch or dinner, the road will be drying by the time you are done.  

Or ride on and get soaked, we have done it both ways.   (you dry out in an hour or so anyway)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #229 - 05/22/15 at 09:46:31

Don't get excited about the weather -- it swings wildly until about 10 days out then it settles some into something that doesn't move around quite so radically.

Once you are just one week out, you can pretty much take the forecast to the bank at the 50% level -- forecasting in the mountains never really gets any better than 50% accuracy which is why they always say "some level of wet" all the time in the forecasts so as to cover their butts.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #230 - 05/22/15 at 10:37:16

shoot, we rode through a downpour moist of the way from San An to Kerrville, I ain't all that scairt of a little shower
working out how to tie down 2 S40s in the back of a Ranger in case we can't borry a trailer, now that's a bit more worrisome

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #231 - 05/22/15 at 10:38:27

Gentlemen, Art and I have been scheming and we should know for sure by this Sunday or Monday if we can make it. God willing, we'll see ya'll soon.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #232 - 05/22/15 at 10:39:54

Oh no, I just read what you wrote Art. You got more redneck on me all of a sudden> Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #233 - 05/22/15 at 10:40:37

Come on. I need to see if anything happens once I get to 100 posts.

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #234 - 05/22/15 at 10:41:18

Ok, here goes the big 100. Drum roll please.

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #235 - 05/22/15 at 10:41:51

Yeah buddy. Full member now!!! Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #236 - 05/22/15 at 10:51:13

congratulations!
I'm pretty versatile, part redneck, part city boy, part crazy
my bed is 6 ft, my S40 looks to be 7, might require tailgate down, I do NOT care for that idea, maybe angling them will get er done
I really would prefer if I can borrow that trailer though
or better yet, talk the owner into coming with  Grin

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #237 - 05/22/15 at 11:26:57

We'se all a little redneck up in them thar mountains -- it's natural, y'all knows.

Art, trick for small bed trucks is to put one bike in backwards -- this way the handlebars can overlap space-wise instead of conflicting with each other.

Remember not to leave the side stands down or they WILL get bent ....

Keep them side stands folded up .....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #238 - 05/22/15 at 12:29:31

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 05/22/15 at 11:26:57:

We'se all a little redneck up in them thar mountains -- it's natural, y'all knows.

Art, trick for small bed trucks is to put one bike in backwards -- this way the handlebars can overlap space-wise instead of conflicting with each other.

Remember not to leave the side stands down or they WILL get bent ....

Keep them side stands folded up .....

OK, never bent a sidestand yet, (and used to haul them as part of my job) but will do
My lack of enthusiasm is that I usually use the front of the bed to set the front tire against so it does't turn, with one bike backward and no tailgate to prop the front tire against, that worries me
if the front tire turns thing can go wrong

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #239 - 05/22/15 at 18:37:49

One bike normal, tire pointed at a front corner.

Other bike pointed at the diametrical opposite corner (tailgate corner).

Your fundamental mistake is trapping the bike hard against the steel bed instead of against another sets of straps.   This crushing force that gets exerted can damage the bike and the bed (been there, done that).

For example, my bike sits upright in a shallow channel stopped by nothing and held by nothing --  nothing but an opposing set of straps.   I don't run straps to the handle bars, I run an opposing pair of straps off the top shock mount and the bottom rail of the triple tree.

But hey, do it in a manner that makes sense to you.  

Just remember, if one strap lets go and your rig gets pulled over sideways as a result then you don't have enough straps on the job (and they likely aren't placed right either).

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 31
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 12:24:46

General CategoryThe Cafe › Dragon Run #1, Summer, 2015

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.