Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 31
Send Topic Print
Dragon Run #1, Summer, 2015 (Read 4598 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Dragon Run #1, Summer, 2015
Reply #195 - 05/20/15 at 03:47:36

projectfj      like that handle -- you a Google fan?  

We have two tents coming, and people planned to fill up only one so we have space available as needed (it doesn't take long to put up a tent).  

We just need you to tie down when you are coming as we will generally hit back at the campsite around evening dinner time and be gone all time past breakfast roaming and doing.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #196 - 05/20/15 at 03:56:07

http://www.blueridgemotorcyclecamp.com/

Wed June 10th - MMRanch staging visitors from the far West.    
Thur June 11th -  Oldfeller and Dave already there by cabin #4
Fri June 12th - MM's group packs up and headto Blue Ridge Campground 
Sat June 13th -
Sun June 14th -
Mon June 15th -
Tue June 16th -
Wed June 17th - Pack up and head home.

========================================

WE ARE STILL TOO FAR OUT FOR ANY FORM OF REAL WEATHER ACCURACY .... it is all guesstimates right now.   The forecast tightens up at 2 weeks out but it will always say some chance of showers (mainly because up in the mountains there is always that chance).   Look at the individual days for the amount of precipitation, those 0.2" days are a heavy morning mist which also always happens all the time up in the mountains.

We've been through this before so you will always get you a 10 day out cancellation warning in case of fairly well predicted heavy bad weather (in time to get your money back on a cabin reservation).   If you are tenting, you will get cold at night and a bit dew wet each morning -- count on it.   So bring a bag and a blanket or two.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/cruso-nc/28716/month/2096614?monyr=6/01/2015

..... and count on it, you will meet up with a rain cloud at least once during the trip.   Stop and eat lunch or dinner, the road will be drying by the time you are done.  

Or ride on and get soaked, we have done it both ways.   (you dry out in an hour or so anyway)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
projectfj

Alabama
Reply #197 - 05/20/15 at 05:29:52

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 05/20/15 at 03:47:36:

projectfj      like that handle -- you a Google fan?  

We have two tents coming, and people planned to fill up only one so we have space available as needed (it doesn't take long to put up a tent).  

We just need you to tie down when you are coming as we will generally hit back at the campsite around evening dinner time and be gone all time past breakfast roaming and doing.

Well I have dedicated waaaaaaaaaay too many resources in the old 79 FJ of mine so it just kind of fits. I use Google usually multiple times a day, but may be missing the point of the question.

As far as sleeping arrangements go, I will either bring a small 3 person tent or just sleep in the couch sized front seat of my 97 chevy pickup. My sleeping habits usually leave me better off sleeping alone.

I will try to find out when I can come soon. My bike and truck both need a little work. I was originally going to just drive up the Friday of the 12th and stay until that Sunday, but will see what I can manage.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #198 - 05/20/15 at 06:34:56

Actually I misread your "j" for an "i"   (eyes ain't what they used to be) and Project fi is the new Google project where they are becoming a wifi based cell phone carrier that bounces freely between multiple carriers and any available wifi hot spots.

Fj makes sense, it will be good see you when you arrive.

This will be one of our middle sized groups, we have gotten as many as 12 people on a few of the earlier trips but this one seems to be around 7-8 at this point in time.

Still that is a group and this will be a RIDE .....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Neilap

I cant hear you over
the awesome.

Morgantown, W.V.
Reply #199 - 05/20/15 at 06:41:30

What is dragon run about?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #200 - 05/20/15 at 07:10:33

Neilap wrote on 05/20/15 at 06:41:30:
What is dragon run about?

The Dragon Run is what we call our group gatherings in the Tennessee and North Carolina area.  The name comes from the original gathering location at Deals Gap, NC - which has the Tail of the Dragon (Route 129) which has 318 curves in 11 miles.  More recently the trip has morphed into being located at the Blue Ridge Campground which is about 1.5 hours from the Dragon....although last year and this year there will be another ride scheduled to be based at the Deals Gap Resort/Campground and the dates are picked to match up with the Wounded Warrior event held there.

This particular event will have a few folks meeting at MMRanch's house before moving on to the Blue Ridge Campground..while some of us are going directly to the campground.

Everyone is welcome to come, we ride at a safe pace...on occasion a few riders may feel the need for speed - but then pull over and wait for the rest to catch up before moving on.  On the Tail of the Dragon we may spread out and be a mile apart - but there is a nice scenic overlook at the end where we can stop and collect each other.  We make fuel and rest stops at 100 mile intervals as that is about all the gas capacity we have.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #201 - 05/20/15 at 07:38:14

Also remember that the original group is getting somewhat older now, so we aren't all that interested in playing speed racer at the Dragon per se any more.

Plus, over the years we have discovered other roads that have other attractions, some are spooky neat and some are just plain beautiful.

Spooky neat -- how bout a unused 60 year old virginal road that has grass growing out of the cracks that leads to a long dark tunnel that leads to a fairy circle where we do not linger for long, nor do we ever go camping there .....

Shocked

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #202 - 05/20/15 at 07:40:01

Or a 32 mile long road that is so curvy it puts the Dragon to shame, and all the lane markings in the turns are worn off the road from tires scrubbing across them all the time ......

Where beautiful sweet smelling mountain flowering plants grow out to the edge of the road just to give you something nice to smell while you are all leaned over good.

Where the Monarch butterflies come out to greet you, and will leave little angel shaped fairy dust marks on your shirt to remind you of the trip.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #203 - 05/20/15 at 08:22:33

I got a side task for us to accomplish on our trip -- I need to find me a pound of Alliant Reloader 19 and a brick of large rifle magnum primers.

None of my local gun spots have any, nor can they order any in any reliable fashion.

By any chance does your local gun store have any Alliant Reloader 19 ???       If so tell me and I'll send you the money to pick it up.

It is an odd-ball powder that does really really well in 7mm-08 under a 160 grain bullet -- so good in fact it can speed the heavy boat tail up to the range of the 145-150 grain slugs, but the really excellent BC on the long 160 grain boat tail means it will drop less and wind drift less than the lighter bullets will do.

MM will attest to my predilection for trying to get the most out of what I shoot.   Even my very least target rounds are suitable for big game use in a pinch.

Shocked      Did you know a 7mm-08 can shoot a 160 grain bullet within 250 fps of a factory 7mm Remington Magnum round?

« Last Edit: 05/20/15 at 09:36:36 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #204 - 05/20/15 at 09:04:46

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 05/20/15 at 08:22:33:

Did you know a 7mm-08 can shoot a 160 grain bullet within 250 fps of a factory 7mm Remington Magnum round?

I was actually more surprised back when I learned that, contrary to what 'Dirty harry' said in his movies, the .44 magnum was never 'the most powerfull handgun in the world' that honor, at the time, fell to the old 44-40  Grin

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #205 - 05/20/15 at 09:32:37

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 05/20/15 at 07:40:01:

Or a 32 mile long road that is so curvy it puts the Dragon to shame, and all the lane markings in the turns are worn off the road from tires scrubbing across them all the time ......

Where beautiful sweet smelling mountain flowering plants grow out to the edge of the road just to give you something nice to smell while you are all leaned over good.

Where the Monarch butterflies come out to greet you, and will leave little angel shaped fairy dust marks on your shirt to remind you of the trip.

Here is a small portion of it from last years trip.

32_001.jpg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #206 - 05/20/15 at 09:42:30

Art Webb wrote on 05/20/15 at 09:04:46:
Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 05/20/15 at 08:22:33:

Did you know a 7mm-08 can shoot a 160 grain bullet within 250 fps of a factory 7mm Remington Magnum round?

I was actually more surprised back when I learned that, contrary to what 'Dirty harry' said in his movies, the .44 magnum was never 'the most powerfull handgun in the world' that honor, at the time, fell to the old 44-40  Grin

I'll blow your mind a little more about Dirty Harry's .44 magnum -- the original black powder pistol loadings for the .44 Colt Walker long cylinder percussion cap pistol model easily exceeded the energy levels of the current 2015 "lawyer loadings" in the .44 magnum.

HOWEVER, certain handloaded concoctions put together for a certain Ruger Super Redhawk clearly exceeded both old rounds.

Grin

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #207 - 05/20/15 at 10:21:00

Why am I not all that surprised?
the more I learn about those cap n ball guns the more interesting they are, especially as the fed doesn't classify them as 'firearms' last I checked (no blue form required}
Another source informs me the gun used in the actual film was a .41 mag, not a .44
I know a few older retired cops who actually carried .41s on the beat, back then

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #208 - 05/20/15 at 10:22:11

Dave wrote on 05/20/15 at 09:32:37:
Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 05/20/15 at 07:40:01:

Here is a small portion of it from last years trip.

this pic makes me sad....that I won't be on that road with Y'all next month

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #209 - 05/20/15 at 13:01:36

Is anybody trailering or hauling bike in pickup that would be passing through Houston, TX or close to Houston that would be interested in sharing costs with a riding buddy???? I do not know for sure that I could make it but if the opportunity arises I'll do whatever I can to make it happen.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 31
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 14:35:39

General CategoryThe Cafe › Dragon Run #1, Summer, 2015

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.