Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 31
Send Topic Print
Dragon Run #1, Summer, 2015 (Read 4598 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Dragon Run #1, Summer, 2015
Reply #135 - 04/28/15 at 07:58:52

You are right about this being a low cost vacation, we likely don't spend $40 a day total and I always bring back cash in my wallet.

I posted a Roll Call in RSD and Cafe to roust out all the ones who are planning on going so we can get enough sleeping spots planned out.

All the "I'll go one day" folks should plan on going to this one if they want to meet Verslagen and Lancer as this is likely one of the last trips where both will be there.

« Last Edit: 04/28/15 at 09:05:08 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #136 - 04/28/15 at 09:31:25

I'm taking the whole 2 weeks off (or intend to)
Leaving Saturday, arriving at Lancers on Sunday.
I must leave Lancers by Saturday, returning on Sunday.
God willing and the cricks don't rise.

WWW   IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #137 - 04/28/15 at 12:08:37

MMRanch wrote on 04/28/15 at 07:09:56:
I think YouzGuyz had pre-run the day rides and had the timing and fuel stops worked out perfectly :  I said that to say this, "without trying them out first I'm only guessing on whats good and works right". Roll Eyes

Nope.. looked at a few of the roads that I knew might be an issue for mud slides and such, but... we never to got to those.
My routes got chopped up to accommodate weather, and other.. delays.  Roll Eyes

I just know the roads.. been over all of them all bunch of times.
U R LOST.. not me!   Grin

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #138 - 04/29/15 at 07:41:45

HAY !

Now I've been to "U R LOST"   Roll Eyes   ...   and back !  Grin

YouzGuyz_lost.jpg

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #139 - 04/29/15 at 08:37:39

MMRanch wrote on 04/29/15 at 07:41:45:
HAY !

Now I've been to "U R LOST"   Roll Eyes   ...   and back !  Grin

been there... done that... too.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #140 - 04/29/15 at 09:40:27

me three

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #141 - 04/29/15 at 17:11:52

Come with us on the trip and we will take you down to the tunnel to nowhere (at the end of the road to nowhere there really is a tunnel of no return).   We can also take you snapping up snowflakes out of the air up at the top of Mount Pisgah.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #142 - 04/29/15 at 21:46:03

Old feller from what MMR tells me I really do want to ride with you sometime, but September might not be doable, especially as I need to hone my bike handling skills before i hit something like the dragon
I absolutely should not have dropped my bike in that right hander on the sisters, I didn't even drag a peg until I went down

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #143 - 04/29/15 at 23:18:34

Hay Art ...

The Nature of the Dragon is slow ... sure a person could hit 60mph on the few strait pieces but the challenge is to maintain the 30 mph speed limit and stay on your side of the road.   It's patrolled on the TN. side and I hardly ever got over 40 mph.  The slow speed takes a  lot of the intimidation out of it but its still way fun (as in "Let's Do-it-Again").  Grin

Like a bag of Potato chips ...  Wink

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #144 - 04/30/15 at 03:51:40

Art Webb wrote on 04/29/15 at 21:46:03:
I need to hone my bike handling skills before i hit something like the Dragon

The Dragon should not be intimidating - but you should approach it carefully on your first few rides.  There are corners that are incredibly tight and with zero sight distance around them....after a few trips you begin to remember which ones require a slow approach.  When we have new riders we all just get in a line and ride at an easy pace for the first day - then later on we will pick up the pace a bit.  There is an overlook at the end where we pull over and wait for everyone to gather up again before going to ride "Happy Valley".  (You can just find an SUV or camper to follow....and blame your slow pace on them!)  

There are all levels of riders on the Dragon, and riding slow and careful is common.  Accidents are also common, and most are either sport bike riders pushing the limits too far, bikes/cars/campers drifting over the center line on corners that are tighter then they expected, or large cruiser/touring bike riders who enter a corner too fast and start scraping frames and floorboards as they just can't corner that sharp at the speed they are going.

It is easy to ride the Dragon at your own pace, and just learn to stay away from the center line as you round the corners....as there may be somebody drifting over into your lane.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #145 - 04/30/15 at 10:55:39

slow and tight (and uphill) with littl sight distance describes the exact circumstances under which I dumped it on the sisters (you really didn't think I laid it over at 60+ and got off that easy, did you? I hit the curve at maybe 40 tops, likely down to 10-20 by the time I dropped it)
anyone should be able to touch a peg down in a tight curve without tossing his bike down the road, IMO, I need to work on bike skills, dragon or no dragon
and as I said before logistics for run #1 will be very problematic, i need to recover financially from the sisters trip (bought gear, windshield, plus actual trip expenses) I don't make a lot of money fellas, $500 for a week vacation, on top of normal living expenses, took a toll
I'm not whining here, it was totally worth it, but I have to be real about my money matters

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #146 - 04/30/15 at 18:05:31

Art....the money/vacation/work time continuim is very complex and hard to balance correctly.  I had to miss the Texas ride because I just couldn't get the correct balance this year.  It is all very understandable....I can get a couple Dragon runs in cheaply as it is only 5 hours from my house, and I trailer the bike down and can sleep in my trailer!  I don't spend much money on the Dragon trips.....but the memories and group fellowship are worth a lot to me.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #147 - 04/30/15 at 19:08:01

I have a two man tent that is really a one man job... I will bring it and no worries about a cabin....
I really only plan on staying one day (I might stay the first night in Robbinsville, I LOVE that microtell)... LOL, and I want to ride where ever you guys are going, dragon or not (I can always hit it on the way there and back if I want).
I will take care of any housing required for me, so I won't burden others with my schedule.
I've met both Lancer and Versy.... great guys by the way.... and i'm just showing up to ride (and get away from the house for three days).
Besides....my photo on the dragon didn't win enough votes the first time.... so i'm going to try again. Grin Grin Cool
Speaking of trailer Dave.... we had a fella just open a trailer sales down the road only about 1/4 mile! I am going to talk to him about a covered one just big enough to house our two savages...and then i'm going to make it into a sleeper also! Smiley

P.S. MMR  it was roughly 824 one way so 1,648 + 636 miles there, so roughly 2,284-ish.....  Shocked

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #148 - 04/30/15 at 21:41:51

Old rider I am just amazed anyone can stay in the saddle of a Savage for that many miles over a couple days, my butt burn starts around 30-50 miles, and it's an effort to hold out till the tank is near empty  Grin

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #149 - 04/30/15 at 22:02:23

butt burn   Grin Grin Grin    good one Art !   That's about as good a way to say it as I've ever heard . Smiley

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 31
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:33:22

General CategoryThe Cafe › Dragon Run #1, Summer, 2015

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.