Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tires... Yes. This again. (Read 113 times)
Jamie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tires... Yes. This again.
10/18/14 at 14:03:50

Hi all!  So,  I need a new set of tires for my s40. I knew the front needed to be replaced and when I went to ride today,  I didn't like the look of the rear.  Having read a ton of threads about tires only made things more confusing.  So,  to put it simply,  can I get a couple recommendations for a front and rear?  I won't put a ton of miles on the bike so a quality lower mileage tire would be better.  Thanks in advance!

Jamie

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Tires... Yes. This again.
Reply #1 - 10/18/14 at 14:07:45

Shinko 712's are the low cost bang fer the buck tires...
Lightweight, nice lookin', good sticky, and pretty good longevity... Wink...
Get new tubes as well,.. and ask for a 90' valve on the rear facing brake-side...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Jamie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 10/18/14 at 14:09:09

Thanks!  What sizes should I be looking forum ? Also,  you said get new tubes but these say tubeless.  Do they need tubes and if so,  what tubes?

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #3 - 10/18/14 at 14:45:12

The popular choice seems to be 140/90 15 for the rear, the Shinko has this size.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #4 - 10/18/14 at 14:59:20

front - 100/90 - 19

rear -140/90 -15

The stock rear tire is a 140/80 - 15, but there aren't many choices in that size and they are more expensive than the Shinkos.

Almost all street motorcycle tires  are designed to be tubeless nowadays. But if you have a bike with old fashioned spoked  wheels like ours they need tubes or else they wont hold air.

I don't recall the tube sizes, but whoever sells you the tires should be able to fix you up with the correct ones.

I have Shinko 712s on my bike and am quite happy with them.

IP Logged
Jamie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 10/18/14 at 16:03:53

Thanks all!

IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #6 - 10/18/14 at 16:04:16

oldNslow wrote on 10/18/14 at 14:59:20:
front - 100/90 - 19

I don't recall the tube sizes, but whoever sells you the tires should be able to fix you up with the correct ones.

I bought a tube once at a independent shop that kind of specializes in used harleys.  He looked kind of blank when i asked him for a 140-90-15 tube.  He hunted around under the counter, asked a mechanic, then sold me a tube with some arcane "inch" designation.  

I think it would have fit except the valve stem was encased in about 1/2" thick rubber like an old tractor valve stem.  Probably needed a 3/4" hole to go through.  I thought for 1/2 a second about drilling the hole in my rim bigger, but decided that was a bad idea!

( I just stuck a patck on my old tube and used it again,)

Moral of the story: If they don't know what 140/90/15 means, go elsewhere!

My recomendation for quality/ price matchup is Kenda challenger (140/90 on the rear). One of the cheaper tires available. I get from 5-7000 miles on a rear, twice that on the front.  That's about twice as far as I rolled around on the stock tires.   It's the only tires I've used since the stock (hmm. looks like the shinkos are about $11 cheaper for the pair on bike bandit - maybe i'll try them next time around)

You need a tube even though they say "tubeless" because of the rim type.  I have not found the 90 degree valve stems,or maybe they were too much $$ for me(?).  I think I got tires and tubes from BikeBandit each time.

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #7 - 10/18/14 at 17:53:13

I found a 'set', of   MT-66's.
They are 130/90-15  & the stock 100/90-19.
Not super cheep, but a lot cheaper than most.
but not as cheep as the Shinko ones.

Just a little narrower, and a little taller on the rear
They work for me.  

Found them at  Dennis Kirk. They were dated the same, and made in the same country.

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
Drestakil

innocent bystander

Southern Illinois
Reply #8 - 10/18/14 at 18:22:59

I finally put the new tires on mine today. I was scolded on here for asking for recommendations so I went with the IRC's that came with the bike. My front tire had LOTS of tread left but the sidewall was a little weather cracked from being on there for 5 years. I chose the IRC's because I knew they would fit even with the saddlebag supports mounted on the inside of the fender. Without saddlebags, you would probably have a few more options.

What really surprised me was how much my front brake pads were worn. I got those changed just in the time of nick.

IP Logged
Rembrandt

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
Reply #9 - 10/19/14 at 19:54:25

I did well with my original stock IRCs...I got twelve thousand miles out of them and there was lots of tread left on the front tire, but I changed them this spring to Metzzlers and they were original from 06.

A hundred years from now, none of this will matter.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 10/19/14 at 20:01:06

Drestakil wrote on 10/18/14 at 18:22:59:
I finally put the new tires on mine today. I was scolded on here for asking for recommendations so I went with the IRC's that came with the bike. My front tire had LOTS of tread left but the sidewall was a little weather cracked from being on there for 5 years. I chose the IRC's because I knew they would fit even with the saddlebag supports mounted on the inside of the fender. Without saddlebags, you would probably have a few more options.

What really surprised me was how much my front brake pads were worn. I got those changed just in the time of nick.

I wish someone would find that thread where you were scolded.. I'd like to see it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #11 - 10/19/14 at 20:02:15

This is just my opinion and not fact but the 140/90 feels much better for the bike than the stock 140/80. I like how it "softens" the gearing ever so slightly.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 10/19/14 at 20:34:13

Those stock tires felt slippery from new to worn out. I felt like it was about to slide out from under me thru every turn..when I replaced the tires and felt more secure I started grinding on the pegs,,
I don't know how much the difference in tire Sizes affected the ride or handling,but I Do know it stuck in the corners a lot better. I kept those crummy tires on it,Because they kept me careful, while I gained experience. I didn't ride in a town with more than 3 stoplights till I had a few months on it.
I do remember being afraid when I bought it. I'd ridden bikes,but it had been years and I had been so sick and weak for so long I didn't know how I was gonna get it home...Good thing I didn't think about that moment Before I bought it.. I don't know if I would have gone through with it .

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/10/24 at 23:55:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Tires... Yes. This again.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.