Send Topic Print
New here - Questions (Read 192 times)
Jamie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New here - Questions
10/17/14 at 16:51:53

Hi all!  I just got my Suzuki a week ago and was thrilled to find a forum dedicated to my bike.  I got a 2009 S40 w/ 11,000 miles for $1500.   The only problem it has is one rear turn signal is wrapped in electrical tape where the bike must have been put down.  I ordered aftermarket signals to replace them. Other than that the bike is in phenomenal shape.  No dents, scratches, etc.  After changing the oil and filter, petcock, adjusting the fuel mixture screw and the idling rpm screw it is running pretty good.  The backfiring is less and it is just more smooth sounding.  I will take care of the Verslagen cam tensioner over the winter sometime.  A few things:

1.  On the right side next to the little S40 panel there is a space where there appears to be something rectangular that was once there but is now missing.  Pictures on Google show some sort of black rectangular panel.  Any idea of what this is and where I can get a replacement?

2.  The muffler heat guard is hanging on by a thread.  Apparently the two bolts that should be in it are missing.  Any thoughts on whether to go buy some bolts/nuts and secure it or get rid of it?

3.  I was scouring the internet looking for used or aftermarket saddlebag supports when my buddy pointed out to me tonight that I already have them on the bike.  Somehow I hadn't noticed that.   Shocked  They appear to be the stock Suzuki supports and one side has a lock but no key.  First off, where can I get a key and second, is there a certain type of bag I can use with this support?  I want a simple throw over soft bag for carrying random junk when needed.  

Thanks in advance and I am excited to ride the hell out of this thing all winter and into next year.  

Jamie

Bike2.jpg
  IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Re: New here - Questions
Reply #1 - 10/17/14 at 17:29:45

Hi Jamie,

1.  That thing on the right side was a little lockable storage compartment.  There are 2 parts to it not sure from the pic if the back is still on there -  it has a couple screws holding it on and kind of a bracket/tab thing sticking out at the bottom.  The other piece is a chrome box with a keyed latch that locks onto the bracket/tab part.

It was a very small compartment (4" x 6" x 1.5" or so), not very useful, not worth the trouble of opening most of the time, but it might be handy as a slightly secure lockable compartment

2.  I can find most bolt sizes at my local True Value

3.  That lock thing at the right rear is a helmet lock.  Pretty useless. Just get a crummy helmet that nobody wants to steal.  You should be able to use pretty much any soft bags. The supports keep them off your wheels.  Like many, I took off the seat and hung the bags across the rear fender, then put the seat back on.  My bags zip off, but they're pretty crummy looking, so I don't think anybody will steal them.  

ps. nice looking scoot!  I'd say you got a pretty good deal.

pps.  as you may surmise, I'm the type who would leave the turn sig taped as long as it passes inspection.  If you want to hang bags on it you may want to move your sigs anyway.  You can probably find a few threads if you do a search

I made a bracket of flat steel, attached to license plate bracket -used aftermarket "bullet" turn sigs.

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #2 - 10/17/14 at 23:45:39

You got the best colour they ever made, fix up your heat shield and enjoy. Leave the electrical tape alone, I've got duct tape on my r/r indicator. You may get the missing cover off this website, people "bobbing, modding, projecting"and so on frequently get rid of them.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Jamie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 10/18/14 at 05:30:42

Thanks for the replies!   I am going to fix the heat shields today and I ordered some saddlebags from Amazon.  Hopefully I can find the cover on here or Ebay.  As for the turn signal,  I just can't bring myself to leave it looking like that. Smiley  I ordered a pair of aftermarket signals and I am going to get that fixed up.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 10/18/14 at 05:43:16

Don't know what kind of aftermarket turn signal you ordered - but you will most likely be back with more questions as the turn signals most likely won't just be a bolt on.  Also....I hope you got something that is bright enough to be DOT approved.   Most of the small turns signals aren't bright enough to be seen in direct sunshine......and are not safe to use.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Drestakil

innocent bystander

Southern Illinois
Reply #5 - 10/18/14 at 05:47:54

Great looking bike!! Looks just like mine. Mine has a Spitfire wind screen, a Wingerline Engine Guard, and saddlebags hung just below the turn signals. I didn't want to move them.

I'm like you, I'd want to replace a broken turn signal and fix the heat shield, too. Sounds like you sure got a good deal on it. Congrats!

IP Logged
Srotag

Have  Thumper  
  Will  Travel

Wherever it is warm and sunny
Reply #6 - 10/18/14 at 07:13:10

And the helmet lock uses the ignition key.  The "weld" gave way and the lock came off in my hand.   Angry

2005 S40 Ridin' on the back of our motorhome...Where we go, so goes Thumper Smiley Smiley
  IP Logged
Jamie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 10/18/14 at 07:44:06

Dave -  I did just get the aftermarket signals today and they are small.  I thought I ordered DOT but I don't believe it is so I will be sending them back.  I will have to find a used OEM signal.

IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #8 - 10/18/14 at 08:51:28

Mine, seen above are pretty small. They were made to have running light/turn sigs - I have them wired so that both filaments are in parallel and flash as turn sigs.  I think I also have a higher wattage bulb than came in them.  I don't know the #, but it's a standard automotive bulb.  I also use hand signals if someone is following me

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #9 - 10/18/14 at 13:24:38

You could try googling Michigan power sports for an OEM  or near enough signal. You really need to remove yours and check that the treaded end is the same as what they offer.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #10 - 10/18/14 at 23:44:47

Your next project should be to ditch that stock muffler and get a after market muffler.

IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #11 - 10/19/14 at 10:19:31

Take off the electrical tape, and give a proper assessment to the damage.  If the rubber is just cracked, you should be able to fix it with some gorilla glue.  I've got one right now that is held together that way.  The cool thing about that glue is it's sandable, so once the repair is done you can clean up the area to remove all evidence.   Wink

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 10/19/14 at 10:29:37

If the plastic stem is busted and you have a Drexel you can super glue it, cut a groove in the bottom and a V groove around the crack and epoxy,Devcon 5 minute,the break and lay a piece of piano wire in the groove..It will look fine on a walk by.. mine did.. The guy who bought it never even noticed it..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Jamie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 10/19/14 at 16:07:39

Thanks guys. I didn't even think about taking off the tape and assessing the damage. If it is easily repairable like a crack,  I'd rather not replace it.

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #14 - 10/19/14 at 16:44:05

If it has broken where the bullet part meets the stalk you will need to find a way of supporting the bullet part while the super glue goes off, sitting there supporting it for five or more minutes gets tiring.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/03/24 at 01:05:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New here - Questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.