Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Another Thumper!! (Read 259 times)
Drestakil

innocent bystander

Southern Illinois
Another Thumper!!
10/15/14 at 19:58:39

I picked up an SR400 last Saturday with 1.1 miles. I thought about trading the S40 in on it but then I wouldn't have it anymore. The thought was unacceptable.

I love the UJM's with wire wheels, chain drive, and kick start.

2015_SR400.jpg
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Another Thumper!!
Reply #1 - 10/16/14 at 04:40:18

Nice!

Put some miles on it, and give us a ride report.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 10/16/14 at 09:05:52

wire wheels, chain drive, and kick start..

IMO,, a pickup just aint a pickup without vent windows and a 4 speed.. Id Like to have one that has the kick panel vents, too..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 10/16/14 at 09:54:50

Don't get too close,... I might steal those chrome fenders... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 10/16/14 at 15:57:21

Naaah,, just Look at that face.. Is that the face of a fender thief? Tho they are rather nice looking,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Jeff71

I'm a bike noob!!!!!

South of Chicago, the suburbs
Reply #5 - 10/16/14 at 22:16:00

Sat on one last week. Very nice, narrow tank, oil fill in front of the tank in the upper frame. Was considering one.
Jeff

Yeah, like I have any clue what is going on....
http://myrycabuild.weebly.com
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #6 - 10/16/14 at 22:20:29

Nice one! Cool little bike. I'd love one ...

IP Logged
Drestakil

innocent bystander

Southern Illinois
Reply #7 - 10/17/14 at 09:18:34

Dave wrote on 10/16/14 at 04:40:18:
Nice!

Not too many miles on it yet. It's still in the break-in period but I'm not babying it much. Did the first oil change at 130 miles and the oil was pretty sparkly in the sunlight. Will change it again at around 300 before I take it back in for service.

To compare it to the S40, the vibrations are about the same. I expected more from the SR because of the lack of a counter-balancer. From what I've read, it should smooth out after it's broken in. Guess it shook enough to lose my temporary tag on the back. I've got the area I lost it in down to a 35 mile stretch of road. Haven't decided if I'll go look for it on the Suzuki or just park it till the metal one come in. Really glad I kept the S40!

IMO, the Yamaha stock seat is a little more comfortable than the stock Suzuki one. But then, my Suzuki seat isn't stock anymore so they're about the same. Could ride all day on either one, I think (haven't tried an all day ride on either bike.) The S40 has a more relaxed riding position than the standard upright position of the Yamaha. The Suzuki seems to have little more leg room, but again, I modded its seat for a little more height and the ability to sit a little further back. I like them both.

Not surprising, the 650 has a little more power and speed than the 400 but taking the Yamaha out on the interstate wouldn't bother me a bit. Back in the '70s, I used to take my little 250 Yamaha on the interstate all the time. I'd still prefer the S40 with the extra power and the wind screen.

Looks are subjective but I love the look of the stock Yamaha and plan to keep it that way. It just wouldn't look right with a wind screen or saddlebags. If I have to carry anything or go on a longer trip, I'll take the S40. Plus, with the carburetor on the Suzuki, I think it will have to be started and rode more than the Yamaha with it's FI.

I think my girlfriend (silly term considering we've been together for 18 years) is hoping the bikes won't be like my guitars, "I only need one more!"

IP Logged
Jeff71

I'm a bike noob!!!!!

South of Chicago, the suburbs
Reply #8 - 10/17/14 at 09:48:39

The "only need one more." is so dangerous! Cool
Jeff

Yeah, like I have any clue what is going on....
http://myrycabuild.weebly.com
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 10/18/14 at 20:16:26

She'll be alright as long as you don't need Just One More girlfriend.

IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #10 - 10/23/14 at 19:59:16

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/18/14 at 20:16:26:
She'll be alright as long as you don't need Just One More girlfriend.

zackly whut I wuz thinkin JOG! Roll Eyes

Sure is a nice scoot Drestakil!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #11 - 11/30/14 at 11:17:18

Drestakil wrote on 10/17/14 at 09:18:34:
Dave wrote on 10/16/14 at 04:40:18:
Nice!

Not too many miles on it yet. It's still in the break-in period but I'm not babying it much. Did the first oil change at 130 miles and the oil was pretty sparkly in the sunlight. Will change it again at around 300 before I take it back in for service.

To compare it to the S40, the vibrations are about the same. I expected more from the SR because of the lack of a counter-balancer. From what I've read, it should smooth out after it's broken in. Guess it shook enough to lose my temporary tag on the back. I've got the area I lost it in down to a 35 mile stretch of road. Haven't decided if I'll go look for it on the Suzuki or just park it till the metal one come in. Really glad I kept the S40!

IMO, the Yamaha stock seat is a little more comfortable than the stock Suzuki one. But then, my Suzuki seat isn't stock anymore so they're about the same. Could ride all day on either one, I think (haven't tried an all day ride on either bike.) The S40 has a more relaxed riding position than the standard upright position of the Yamaha. The Suzuki seems to have little more leg room, but again, I modded its seat for a little more height and the ability to sit a little further back. I like them both.

Not surprising, the 650 has a little more power and speed than the 400 but taking the Yamaha out on the interstate wouldn't bother me a bit. Back in the '70s, I used to take my little 250 Yamaha on the interstate all the time. I'd still prefer the S40 with the extra power and the wind screen.

Looks are subjective but I love the look of the stock Yamaha and plan to keep it that way. It just wouldn't look right with a wind screen or saddlebags. If I have to carry anything or go on a longer trip, I'll take the S40. Plus, with the carburetor on the Suzuki, I think it will have to be started and rode more than the Yamaha with it's FI.

I think my girlfriend (silly term considering we've been together for 18 years) is hoping the bikes won't be like my guitars, "I only need one more!"

Nice new bike
at 18 years 'girlfriend' is a bit silly' I like 'SO' (significant other) 'lover' or 'my Lady'
all of these seem to get the seal of aproval
Life Partner is good, too

IP Logged
jjn

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Keaau, Hi. USA
Reply #12 - 12/07/14 at 21:20:15

Nice looking SR400! I take it you aren't in the US, as that isn't "our" color. Ours are a sliver I believe. Any problems starting it? They say it's super easy with the fuel injection.

Jon in Puyallup, Wa. USA
  IP Logged
Drestakil

innocent bystander

Southern Illinois
Reply #13 - 12/10/14 at 17:58:48

jjn wrote on 12/07/14 at 21:20:15:
  Nice looking SR400! I take it you aren't in the US, as that isn't "our" color. Ours are a sliver I believe. Any problems starting it? They say it's super easy with the fuel injection.

It's the US model, I live in Illinois. Glad they only put the canister crap on the ones shipped to California. The color is Liquid Graphite. I'll have to take their word for it, I've never actually seen liquid graphite. My guess is it's like dry graphite only shinier.

I love the Yamaha but right after I bought it, I twisted my right knee working on my house and couldn't kick start it for about three weeks. Tried once standing beside it and starting it with my left foot but that didn't work too well. With FI, it's starts pretty easy in usually one, sometimes two, kicks but they have to be kinda swift. I spent the next three weeks riding the S40 while my knee healed.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 12/10/14 at 18:12:14

Hmm,, Liquid Graphite,, otta never need waxed..

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 11:09:03

General CategoryThe Cafe › Another Thumper!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.