Send Topic Print
GasTankLeaking (Read 148 times)
Silverhippi

BigSingle for
Life!!!

Valdosta, Ga
GasTankLeaking
10/15/14 at 19:03:20

So, at 9pm I went out on the porch and noticed what looked like possibly a tiny oil leak staining the concrete under my bike. I searched around and discovered it to be gasoline not oil, Further searching with flashlight led me to fuel weeping from under the tank. I don't think it is the petcock because i dried everything off and when the weeping showed back up it was coming from somewhere above the petcock. So, unless gravity has stopped working on my front porch, I don't think it is the petcock. Maybe a pinhole in the tank somewhere? Has anyone ever had a leaking gas tank? What do I do to fix it? Am I crazy to drive to work tomorrow? Will I turn into some sort of fireball thing from Hell-Rider if I ride into work tomorrow? Any advice?

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: GasTankLeaking
Reply #1 - 10/15/14 at 19:56:13

Take the car... Huh...

...unless you really liked the movie "Ghost Rider"...

First, I'd check the petcock gasket...  is your tank too full?...
Beyond that,... you need to pull the tank and find the leak...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Silverhippi

BigSingle for
Life!!!

Valdosta, Ga
Reply #2 - 10/15/14 at 20:06:32

Truck it is.

I'll be pulling the tank this weekend.

WWW   IP Logged
Silverhippi

BigSingle for
Life!!!

Valdosta, Ga
Reply #3 - 10/15/14 at 20:12:54

I will triple check the petcock gasket when I have some daylight and the tank off the bike. Thanks for suggesting I not die in a really amazing fireball on the way to work.

WWW   IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #4 - 10/15/14 at 20:20:49

if you have an air compressor, maybe try putting a little pressure in the tank by sealing the filler hole with your hand and injecting air between your fingers...it'll put enough pressure so maybe you can see the leak in progress.  or, have someone blow in it...if they don't mind fuel on their mouth.

point is to locate the leak without having to sit for hours waiting on a drip.

+1 on checking the petcock gasket...anything man made and mechanical can fail at any time.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #5 - 10/15/14 at 20:22:34

This is what happened to the last guy that had a gas leak while riding.  Admittedly, his leak was much bigger than yours sounds like it is.

http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/20140813_150342.jpeg

Here's a link to the thread. http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1407549773/14#14

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #6 - 10/16/14 at 04:33:40

Here is Billy Lane's bike that had a leak.

c08066812e1c296927fa352be30ee8d2.jpg

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Silverhippi

BigSingle for
Life!!!

Valdosta, Ga
Reply #7 - 10/16/14 at 18:15:29

Holy Fireball!!!!!!!!!!!

SO, I got home during the daylight and pulled the tank. Hard to say for certain where the leak was coming from. I pulled the petcock and put in a new o-ring (I ordered extra when I bought the Raptor) and put everything back together. Filled the tank (on work bench) and thought all was good but I definitely have a leak. 99% certain it is not coming from the petcock. Seems like it is coming from somewhere under the attachment point for the rear mounting bracket. Arrrrgh!!!

Taking tank in to work tomorrow and taking the suggestion to try to pinpoint the leak with compressed air. I guess if i can find it, i can weld it.

Gotta get this fixed fast as this is my only ride. Lips Sealed

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 10/16/14 at 20:20:29

Do You Have Experience welding on gas tanks? You better know what youre doing or youll get DEAD or hurt REal bad..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Silverhippi

BigSingle for
Life!!!

Valdosta, Ga
Reply #9 - 10/16/14 at 20:49:00

Never welded on one myself but my daycare center was the fab shop where my dad worked. I'll be checking in with the old man to make certain I don't blow anything apart.

WWW   IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #10 - 10/16/14 at 22:30:47

Dude,forget welding it,unless you're pulling the tank completely apart. It's not safe. If you can access the hole with a BIG soldering iron,you can solder it up (is how I've fixedlots of 4x4 tanks ) but I'd be using one of the tank sealing products. I did my leaky duc tank with "kreem" about 15 years ago and its still good. Google "tank seal kit " for some products you could nail that sucker with. If you are committed to welding,pay someone else to do it,so they get blown up,not you  Cheesy

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 10/17/14 at 04:46:39

If there is a leak at the back mount - it is a vibration/stress crack and it will not stop cracking unless you weld it.  The bad thing about this kind of crack is that it can be located under the mount, and the only way to get to it is by carefully grinding away the welds and removing the mount.

Getting motorcycle tanks safe to weld is not a big deal, they are small and don't have any baffles to keep them from drying well.  On the first day that you can work on it in the morning, and the sun will be out.....Drain the tank and shake out all the gas you can.  Then use some full strength Purple Power or a similar degreaser mixed with an equal amount of really hot water....about a quart will do it.....and shake it around really well.  Then dump that out and rinse with some really hot water.  Then blow it out as best you can with an air compressor....it will likely flash rust (we can fix that during the coating process).  The set the tank out in the sun to dry.  At the end of the day pick up the tank, put your nose to the filler neck, and most likely you will not smell any fuel.  If you have an aquarium pump they work great for supplying a small amount of air flow while the tank airs out.

Then you most likely will have to cut the mount off, fix the crack, and weld the mount back on.

I would then coat the tank as a precaution.....Here is the link for cleaning and you need to do some of this before the coating process.  
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1386849349

My current favorite coating is the epoxy coating from Caswell Plating.  Be sure to use it when the temperature and tank is warm - the stuff is really thick when cold and hard to get spread out all over the tank.  The Caswell is an epoxy and most likely the most durable of any coatings.  My next favorite is POR15, it has a nice silver color and sets up using moisture from the air....an aquarium pump really speeds up the curing process.  The stuff like Cream and other white coatings have a acetone base....and Caswell and POR15 are far more durable.

You may want to buy or borrow a spare tank to use while you get this work done.....it will take a few days to clean, weld and coat.

Dave

I going to go find the link for the cleaning and coating the tank.      

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #12 - 10/17/14 at 10:25:34

Let's not forget our good friend JB Weld.  Not sure if it's worth trying in this situation but it does work in some applications quite well.

I'll let Dave and some of the other more technically savvy folks here advise on their opinion and I value their direction/guidance.

Good luck!

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Silverhippi

BigSingle for
Life!!!

Valdosta, Ga
Reply #13 - 10/17/14 at 17:06:09

Hey,

Thanks Dave!!! All good info on prepping the tank for welding and we located the leak today: took it to the sculpture area of our art department and put some soapy water on the outside/underside of tank and used compressed air through the petcock and the bubbles showed right up under the rear tank mounting flange.

By the way I am fairly certain that this stress crack happened because unfortunately the guy who re-jetted my carb did not replace the tank bushings properly. I noticed that the tank was sitting at a bit of a "wonky" angle and figured I would get to it the next time I was doing some work. Looks like I should have corrected that sooner.

Yeah, that is A LOT of pain in the butt grinding to even get the attachment plate off. I am going with the suggestion from one of the old guys in the sculpture shop to use JB Weld Steel Stick. We'll see. My dad certainly wouldn't approve.

I'll be looking for an extra tank in the meantime.

WWW   IP Logged
Silverhippi

BigSingle for
Life!!!

Valdosta, Ga
Reply #14 - 10/17/14 at 18:39:57

Looking for some feedback from the experienced crew:

Does this look like a pretty good deal on a tank in good condition?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/381012645438?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=...

Thanks

Dominick

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 20:18:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › GasTankLeaking

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.