Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Mega DYNA
10/09/14 at 11:25:19

A while back, I had a DYNA muffler with a catalyst....and I had a neighbor that wanted to use on a Volusia 800.  I thought maybe it needed a bit more flow to work on that V-twin.

The following posts are what I did.

« Last Edit: 08/08/16 at 09:37:21 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Mega DYNA
Reply #1 - 11/13/14 at 04:39:04

I ordered some 1-1/2" perforated tubing, and I made an extension arbor for my hole saw.  The rear can be cut out with the standard mandrel - but the front requires cutting a hole beyond what the normal hole saw could reach.  The current DYNA donor I am working on is a Catalyst muffler, and that was really hard to get out of the way to cut the hole.

I cut the rear out with a 1-1/2" hole saw, and I have not used the mandrel to cut the front out yet as I am waiting for my 1-5/8" cutter to arrive.  

This is the mandrel I made.  It is a 3/8" rod that has been attached to a pin made for mounting tractor implements.  It is the only thing I could find locally that had a 5/8x18 thread that matched the hole saw cutter.

« Last Edit: 08/08/16 at 09:39:00 by Dave »  

IMG_1525.JPG

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 11/20/14 at 03:30:36

I finally got my 1-5/8" hole saw, my 1.5" perforated tubing, and had a night without meetings to do some work.

The Catalyst was really tedious to get out.....lots of hammering on the end of a screwdriver and prying out the honeycomb.  This is the last catalyst muffler I will ever do, I didn't know it was one when I bought the muffler.  The hole saw worked great, I used a 1.5" on the back and 1-5/8" on the front, and pulled the baffle out the front.

The baffle is shown in approximately the location it sits in the muffler.  It only has 36 holes in the entrance of the baffle, then on the backside of the plate the exit has 84 holes for the exhaust to exit.  The green tape shows where the plug is welded into the baffle.  I was surprised to see that the outer jacket of the muffler is not hollow - it has a resonator built with perforated pipe and some kind of fiber inside.  The exhaust flows out the inner baffles and passes between the inner baffle and outer resonator.

I have a feeling that the non-catalyst muffler may have a bit longer baffler inside.....not sure.

I can't weld the new baffle in the same locations as I can't reach that far back into the muffler - I will have to make the new pipe longer and weld it near the ends.  There is a inner surface that can be welded to without screwing up the chrome.  The hole saws worked incredibly well as they only cut out the baffle - but did not cut any of the supporting structure for the muffler or outer resonator.

AND.......I couldn't resist the chance to buy this new take off muffler from a GSXR 1000.  It can be adapted with some pipe work, and it looks like it will be a nice sounding muffler on the Savage (if looks can predict sound).  The inlet pipe goes into the muffler and passes to the back end, the exit pipe extends to the front end so that both pipes pass each other inside the muffler, and the entire chamber is a big resonator with perforated walls and fiber matt.  The size works with the Savage and it will bolt right up to the stock mount.  Is it a good look for the Savage????????

« Last Edit: 08/08/16 at 09:40:39 by Dave »  

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 11/24/14 at 04:01:04

I was able to complete the DYNA repair over the weekend.  The end result is that a 1-5/8" hole saw works great on both ends.  The 1.5" diameter perforated pipe is tough to weld to a solid pipe....the next time I won't put the solid piece into the muffler.  I welded the solid pipe to take the exhaust back to the point where the interior resonator starts.....it wouldn't have hurt anything to let the exhaust just come out wherever it wanted to , and would have been easier without the need to weld the two pipes together (although there is the chance that the hot exhaust could blue the front of the pipe if the exhaust exits too close to the front of the muffler outer shell).

Is it worth the effort for a Savage....dunno.  It sounded really good on his Volusia.  
« Last Edit: 08/08/16 at 09:48:50 by Dave »  

IMG_1532.JPG

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 08/08/16 at 09:44:44

OK....this is a really old thread that I had posted in a hidden place until I got it finished - then I lost it.  I have to post something her on the end of the thread to bring it back to the first page.

With Stemills wanting to play with his catalyst muffler.....I remembered the post and went looking for it.

Dave

IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #5 - 08/08/16 at 11:42:24

I'm curious what happened with the GSXR muffler...

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 08/08/16 at 11:47:10

BSTON wrote on 08/08/16 at 11:42:24:
I'm curious what happened with the GSXR muffler...

Nothin' yet.....still in the box!

I do intend to get it mounted on a Savage someday.....and I also have a Royal Enfield muffer to try out.

IP Logged
Chase

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cape May NJ
Reply #7 - 08/09/16 at 04:15:29

Want to try it on my 88 Dave? Been looking to change from the stock muff on it.

In progress bob : Z bars, Versy Adjuster, Drag pipes, Biltwell Slimline seat, Mini Batt, KN Filter, 454 front pulley mod.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 08/09/16 at 05:03:20

Chase wrote on 08/09/16 at 04:15:29:
Want to try it on my 88 Dave? Been looking to change from the stock muff on it.

Time is a problem....this time of year I can't do any extra stuff.  When I am not at work, I am doing yardwork, and occasionally I can sneak in a ride or a short trip to go riding with the gang from this forum.

I also need a stock bike to use to work on the needed inlet and mount changes...it will be winter before I can get that done.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 16:36:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Mega DYNA

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.