Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Rear Wheel squeaking  (especially when cold out) (Read 145 times)
Wiggles
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rear Wheel squeaking  (especially when cold out)
10/04/14 at 16:43:49

Ok so I have been plagued with rear wheel squeaking. It gets louder and faster the faster I am driving. It happens when I coast, accelerate and brake. I do not think it is connected to the brakes. I also do not believe that it is the belt because it is so extremely loud and I have centered the belt already. I pulled the wheel and lubed EVERYTHING but it continues to squeak loudly.  I also replaced the rear wheel crush washers and that did eliminate the play in the rear wheel sprocket but it still squeaks the same regardless. I am beginning to think that it may be the rear wheel bearings.I am getting insanely good at taking the rear wheel off I have done it so many times.  Also a possibility is that something is rubbing on the rear left spacer. When I last took apart the bike I notice, 3 separate rings around the base of the spacer. The metal was shiner and smoother indicating to my non-mechanic mind that something was rubing. Where the sprocket touches the outside of the spacer. I am being slowly driven insane by this issue. I would really appreciate any assistance on how to possible fix this squeaking. How do I check to see if the bearings are ok? The bike only has ~16k miles on it. Thanks for anything!

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Rear Wheel squeaking  (especially when cold ou
Reply #1 - 10/04/14 at 18:36:18

I am certain that you understand the difficulties in diagnosing a squeak via a forum but I'll give it a try.  A belt squeak on a Savage is usually a squeak - squeak - squeak repeating sound.  Some WD40 on the pulley might silence it for a brief period, if so, you know it is the belt.  Another simple test is to put it up on a jack or blocks so that you can spin that rear wheel by hand and try and get it to squeak so you can locate the exact location of the noise.

A bad bearing can have different sounds depending on whats wrong.  A pitted race usually makes a sort of thud or rumble sound, a flattened ball makes little thuds as well.  A dry bearing or frozen bearing or twisted up cage usually makes a more or less continuous squeal.

Next time you have the wheel off, stick you finger in there and rotate the bearings, they should turn with very little resistance.  If they have lost their grease you'll hear some sound whereas a greased bearing makes very little noise and feels a little mushy but very smooth as you turn it, no rough spots.  Good luck and please post your findings, I'm curious to find out what is causing it.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 10/04/14 at 19:50:10

If you put it in first and try to roll it back you'll get the slack in the bottom of the belt. Then grab half way between the pulleys,2 finger tips under,thumb on top. If the secretary or a healthy 5th grade girl couldn't twist it to vertical,it's too tight.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Wiggles
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 10/05/14 at 09:03:58

I have used belt dressing on the belt before and done all sorts of work to ensure that it is not the belt that is squeaking. I thought for the longest time that it was the belt so that is where I put a lot of my focus. When last I took the wheel apart I stuck my finger in and could spin the bearings extremely easy.

Also I ensured that the belt was not too tight. I can easily get it to 90 degrees any other ideas?

Thanks for the help so far!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 10/05/14 at 11:37:04

Yep,, Id jack it up, pull the rear wheel, slip the belt off,Position it outta the way, install and spin the wheel, poke a skinny tube in my ear & give 'er a spin.. & see if I could find eggzakery whats squeakin,,
Id hafta have a look at the brake shoes,  see if ones rubbing, If you cant find the squeak, ya mite even pull the brake shoes out and spin it.
Youre sure the tire isnt rubbing anything?
Does it matter if youre accelerating or coasting or using brakes?

How loud is it? If ya ride past someone, say, walking on the sidewalk,, are they gonna hear it? If theres a squeak involved in every rotation of the wheel, is it a long drawn out squeak or a millisecond pulse?

Before I DID anything Id jack it up and spin the tire and put a mark on the tire, heck, anywhere,, across the tire at the bottom of the fender,, whatever,, You wanna know if the squeak happens at a different time during the rotation of the tire once you start messing with it,,

Does the rim run "True"? Have ya thumped spokes to see if theyre even? Now, the short ones wont sound like the long ones, but the long ones should sound about the same as should the short ones,, If the rim wasnt true and someone pulled it true with the spokes, then some will be tighter than others, but none of them should be a dull Thud..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Wiggles
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 10/05/14 at 13:44:05

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/05/14 at 11:37:04:
Yep,, Id jack it up, pull the rear wheel, slip the belt off,Position it outta the way, install and spin the wheel, poke a skinny tube in my ear & give 'er a spin.. & see if I could find eggzakery whats squeakin,,
Id hafta have a look at the brake shoes,  see if ones rubbing, If you cant find the squeak, ya mite even pull the brake shoes out and spin it.
Youre sure the tire isnt rubbing anything?
Does it matter if youre accelerating or coasting or using brakes?

How loud is it? If ya ride past someone, say, walking on the sidewalk,, are they gonna hear it? If theres a squeak involved in every rotation of the wheel, is it a long drawn out squeak or a millisecond pulse?

Before I DID anything Id jack it up and spin the tire and put a mark on the tire, heck, anywhere,, across the tire at the bottom of the fender,, whatever,, You wanna know if the squeak happens at a different time during the rotation of the tire once you start messing with it,,

Does the rim run "True"? Have ya thumped spokes to see if theyre even? Now, the short ones wont sound like the long ones, but the long ones should sound about the same as should the short ones,, If the rim wasnt true and someone pulled it true with the spokes, then some will be tighter than others, but none of them should be a dull Thud..

It never squeaks when I have it up on a jack and spin it by hand. All the spokes sound the same to me. It is very loud and people could hear it on the street with ease.

It gets progressively louder the faster I go, in first gear if I am real careful I can get away with it not squeaking. As soon as I go into 2nd it starts to be noticble, and 3rd is very loud, etc etc. It seems to stop for a fraction of a section when I change gears.

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #6 - 10/05/14 at 16:00:15

check your front and back pulleys are done up tight?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 10/05/14 at 17:14:43

Quote:
(especially when cold out)...

Big clue...  
...it's the belt... if you can't stop it,.. just learn to like it... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Wiggles
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 10/07/14 at 12:48:12

Serowbot wrote on 10/05/14 at 17:14:43:
Quote:
(especially when cold out)...

Big clue...  
...it's the belt... if you can't stop it,.. just learn to like it... Grin...

I really don't believe that it is the belt. I have angled the belt, I ground the belt to put it on an angle so it doesn't squeak, soaked it in belt dressing, aligned it on the rear sprocket, cleaned the sprockets, made sure the belt can be easily twisted to 90 degree angle, I am becoming really frustrated.  The squeal cant be found when I spin the wheel on a lift because the squeaking doesnt start until I get about 10 or so mph.

This space right here is the only part that has shiney melt on it, that would indicate to me that it is scraping. Sorry to keep posting, but I am at a loss.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 10/07/14 at 13:04:57

That metal is shiny - because the grease seal rubs on it.  There are 3 bearings on the rear axle.  Two of them are in the wheel hub, and the one just inside the spacer you are holding is in the pulley hub.  If any of those are dry....it could squeak....but I doubt the rubber seal is squeaking.

(Hey....why aren't my hands that clean when I work on my bike?)

Do you know if you have the spacer in the bearing between the hub and axle bearing?  It would be part number 17 in this parts diagram.

http://www.hondaofflorence.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=432158&catego...

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 10/07/14 at 13:27:01

Since it only does it under load and not on a jack, its gonna make anything other than close inspection while its parked a little hazardous.. Before I went further Id SURE have a close look at the belt guard and the front pulley guard, they can make a racket. Theres Sposedtabe a fiber piece between them,, If not, it can squeak is it shifts or rattle if it vibrates.. Im doubting that it, but, at this point, Id hafta have a look,, If nothing ese, jam something in there.. & see if anything changes..

IP Logged
Spamy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 10/08/14 at 13:53:22

Have you had the break side apart to see if everythings in place? I know you said you dont suspect the brakes because of the way it acts, but that is the most moving vs non moving parts on the wheel.

Could be dust buildup or something else that is independent of the brake shoe movement.

Also, is this bike stock?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 10/08/14 at 17:38:28

To me,the"especially when it's cold"says belt.. I suggest Gulf(any kind will do,I'd guess) canning wax. At the store,ask for canning supplies,, rub it down the edges and run it back and forth between the pulleys. Like dragging a stick down a picket fence. Move the bike, get it all.. Yeah,it's gonna sling off. But we NEED to prove it is the belt. I know you have soaked it in belt dressing, but I don't know how it does.. I Know how the canning wax does.. It'll De-squeak a belt..

IP Logged
pas40
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 10/08/14 at 18:25:48

I'm new here my s40 was also squeaking I recenty had aflat when I had the rear wheel off noticed a lot of rubber build up on drive plate that goes into rubber blocks cleaned this off with fine sandpaper I haven't put a whole lot of miles on it since but it's not squeaking !

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 10/08/14 at 18:39:02

pas40 may have hit upon a solution that is consistent with your stated symptoms.  The rubber blocks wouldn't see any amount of force when the wheel is turned while the bike is on jacks but would see force and rubbing while it is under power.  

In your picture there appears to be some brown material back in there, I assume that is grease and not rust.  But still it looks a little dry, probably just the photo.  I lube just about everything except friction surfaces as I reassemble it.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 22:20:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rear Wheel squeaking  (especially when cold out)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.