Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Brand New Savage40 questions (Read 170 times)
savskad

Be the best you can
be

Austin, TX
Brand New Savage40 questions
10/03/14 at 14:56:24

Howdy!

I just bought my first Savage brand new, 0.7 miles on showroom floor. It now has 590mi. I did my first oil change at 520 mi. Did it "correctly", warmed the bike up, took it around the block and parked it, drained the oil, then took out the filter, replaced it, filled it halfway between the lines with the bike sitting upright. Cranked it up for 30 sec., checked the oil again and added just enough to bring it back to middle mark.

At this point, that's all I've done.

Plans I already have for future are:

Harley Dyna muffler swap, THEN carb tuning.
Install sissy bar from Suzuki
1000mi oil change, each following per owner's manual.

My questions now are,

1) As experienced Suzuki owners, what would YOU do next?
2) I've read up on some of the other Mods, which are most crucial to extending the life of parts on the bike (i.e. will the superbrace make the forks last any longer by having it installed?)
3) has the quality of the rear shocks improved at all in the more recent models? Or is it the same as the first ones made? My wife and I will probably ride 2up very often. combined weight with saddlebags & back rest 300lbs. if that's something that will wear them out sooner than later, what would be a good replacement shock? i'm mainly just concerned about suspension that could comfortably handle 300lbs, and then some just in case we load extra luggage on it. not too worried about raising or lowering the ride height, I really do not want to raise it at all since I'm a short guy.

I've been trying to research as much as I can to not have to ask questions. If these are redundant, I apologize.

I know this is a NEW bike and I probably don't have a lot to worry about, it's just having come from owning a 1986 Yamaha Radian over 30,000 miles that was burning oil every 100 miles and leaking fork oil, I want to try to extend the life of my new Fox as much as possible.

I think those are my main questions...

Thank you for any help or advice you may give me. Smiley

savage_021.jpg

2014 Suzuki Boulevard S40

The views and opinions expressed on this post reply are solely the opinion of savskad, no disrespect is ever intended, unless otherwise specified.
Wink
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Brand New Savage40 questions
Reply #1 - 10/03/14 at 15:15:30

A fork brace does nothing to extend longevity...  a pair of Daystar series 58" fork boots will make seals last a lot longer...

The stock shocks are fine for 300+lbs... you only need to upgrade if you want a smoother ride, or to change height... and only going taller will help the ride quality...

When it's time for a battery in about 2 to 4 years, get a glassmat gel battery...
Eventually,.. you'll want to get a Versy modded camchain adjuster...
... and a Raptor petcock... (look around, lots of info on those)...
Stock tires aren't the best... but you might as well use them up...

Keep your idle speed above 1000rpm's... or the head won't get proper oil pressure...
(no lumpy Harley loping idle... it should have a smooth steady putt.. like a lawn mower)...
Use Shell Rotella diesel oil... dino or syth,... never use "high Mileage" car oils... or most any car oil...  Our bike needs ZDDP,.. and car oils don't have it,.. many bike oils don't either anymore... Diesel oil is best...
Use regular gas... it don't like or need Premium...

Read this... for more detailed info...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1366651397

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 10/03/14 at 15:15:42

savskad wrote on 10/03/14 at 14:56:24:
1) As experienced Suzuki owners, what would YOU do next?

ride about 5k miles, and change the oil once in awhile.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 10/03/14 at 15:16:43

Man, nobody Cares if it's redundant,or whatever it was you said..
Congrats,and welcome aboard.

Oh,ask whatever,whenever,just try to look around and see if it's already been answered.

I'm gonna hafta look up both of those words.

Dundant and redundant

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
savskad

Be the best you can
be

Austin, TX
Reply #4 - 10/03/14 at 15:27:34

Serowbot wrote on 10/03/14 at 15:15:30:
A fork brace does nothing to extend longevity...  a pair of Daystar series 58" fork boots will make seals last a lot longer...

The stock shocks are fine for 300+lbs... you only need to upgrade if you want a smoother ride, or to change height... and only going taller will help the ride quality...

When it's time for a battery in about 2 to 4 years, get a glassmat gel battery...
Eventually,.. you'll want to get a Versy modded camchain adjuster...
... and a Raptor petcock... (look around, lots of info on those)...
Stock tires aren't the best... but you might as well use them up...

Keep your idle speed above 1000rpm's... or the head won't get proper oil pressure...
(no lumpy Harley loping idle... it should have a smooth steady putt.. like a lawn mower)...
Use Shell Rotella diesel oil... dino or syth,... never use "high Mileage" car oils... or most any car oil...  Our bike needs ZDDP,.. and car oils don't have it,.. many bike oils don't either anymore... Diesel oil is best...

Alright. I hear you on all that. I have regular Yamalube oil in it right now for the remainder of the 1000 miles. My last bike I used Mobil 1 10-40 syth, granted it had 30,000 miles and was worn out so I didn't worry too much about it.

in specific, a friend recommended Royal Purple motorcycle oil (he uses it in his M109 and owns a machine shop), but still the savage is a completely different animal than the m109 or anything that rolls into his shop.

thanks for the rapid responses everybody, I'm thrilled to be here and to finally own one.  Smiley

The views and opinions expressed on this post reply are solely the opinion of savskad, no disrespect is ever intended, unless otherwise specified.
Wink
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 10/03/14 at 15:52:31

M109,.. is a water cooled engine, with hydraulic lifters...
Basically a 2 wheeled car... (only bigger)... Grin...

We have a motorcycle...   Cool...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
savskad

Be the best you can
be

Austin, TX
Reply #6 - 10/03/14 at 16:03:43

Serowbot wrote on 10/03/14 at 15:52:31:
M109,.. is a water cooled engine, with hydraulic lifters...
Basically a 2 wheeled car... (only bigger)... Grin...

We have a motorcycle...   Cool...

lol, I know right?! My Honda civic is a 1.5L so his bike has more engine than my car.

Wink
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #7 - 10/03/14 at 16:34:59

Take a look at the table of contents in the tech section.  Their is a lot of real good info located there.  Other than that put in Shell Rotella and have a great time.   Wink

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
savskad

Be the best you can
be

Austin, TX
Reply #8 - 10/03/14 at 16:48:21

pg wrote on 10/03/14 at 16:34:59:
Take a look at the table of contents in the tech section.  Their is a lot of real good info located there.  Other than that put in Shell Rotella and have a great time.   Wink

Yeah, I was looking through there, trust me, had I not, I would have had sooo many more questions.  I tried to narrow it down to the stuff I was most stumped on.

Thanks!

Wink
  IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #9 - 10/03/14 at 17:03:16

Another vote for the, (cheep), Shell Rotella oil.
And put in 1/2 - 3/4 oz, of, RedLine, (break in oil additive), per qt of oil.
(EVERY  Oil Change)
Read the old posts, you will see why.

Change the oil now, (even though the oil in it is not wore out).
It will extend the life of your ride.

In about 8-12 thousand miles put in a modifed CCA.
ALWAYS, Keep the idle above 1,000 RMP's.
Break in the Motor, as in, 'Old School". (Up Down/Up Down, not constant, and not full bore).

Check/Adjust the valves at 500, than again at 1,500. then again each 5,000.

Fork brace, as long as you use a front fender, don't wast your money.
I did one, and a, 'little, very little', improvement on some snarly piece of road. Good road, you will not notice the difference.
(Use that money for, 'Amber Fluid")

And I am jealous.   Looking locally at a 'NEW' 2013 one at a dealer.

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #10 - 10/03/14 at 17:05:31

As I understand it you should still have factory warranty on the bike. I would be inclined to consult the selling dealer as to what you can do yourself without getting into potential warranty issues should they arise. Having said that, many North American owners on this forum seem to regard "dealerships" and their service departments with virtual contempt. Having said that, may you get many miles of satisfaction from what is a fine little machine

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #11 - 10/03/14 at 17:09:00

No problem, I wish I would have found it sooner.  Feel free ask questions and post.

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #12 - 10/03/14 at 17:29:32

Hey man, welcome to the forum and congrats on the new bike! Kinda envious of you guys in the US still able to buy one brand new. Like the others said, run it in nicely and enjoy the ride. Re: the shocks thing. If you decide you want to upgrade the rear shocks, you might check with Fournales and see if they have some that fit. It's an adjustable air spring shock and very comfortable. A couple guys I know have them on their Harleys and love them.
Happy days.
s

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #13 - 10/03/14 at 20:36:44

Welcome!!!

+1 on the Shell Rotella T6. It has zddp and you can use it right out of the bottle, but adding some redline does give you a little more. just don't overdo the redline if you add it. there's a mixture chart somewhere in the tech section.

Lastly, ask, ask, ask. Everyone here will guide you from actual proven experiences, not a dealer or mechanic telling you what they assume or read in a book. You will save lots of cash and learn a lot here, not to mention getting it done right the first time.  I used the dealer as a newbie and once I found this place I realized how ridiculous I was for not realizing the simplicity of working on my bike and the excellent help I had available to me here.

Regards

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #14 - 10/04/14 at 07:03:39

A retorque of the head bolts is called for at around 4K miles. Some do it, some don't and the dealer will charge a pretty penny for the work. Don't think my '02 has ever had it done and it is still running fine with no leaks.
 Keeping th RPM's over 1000 is the most important for long engine life, beside that ride it and have fun

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 22:29:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Brand New Savage40 questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.