Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Carb Tuning + Gold Pipes .. question (Read 96 times)
HeXDeMoN
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carb Tuning + Gold Pipes .. question
10/01/14 at 14:05:43

So on a 2002 Suzuki Savage I did a K&N cone, 2 #4 washer to replace white washer mod, Harley Dyna Muffler mod ,55 pilot jet *originally kept stock 52.5*, 155 main jet, and Raptor petcock.

Backstory:
Did muffler first , ran it tons of back firing , had a leak fixed it.. no more backfiring. Did the rest of the Mods.

Now according to " Lancer's Straight & Simple Carb Tuning " I should lose power when turning out the pilot adjusting screw .. which never happened with the stock 52.5 Pilot Jet.. so I put the 55 pilot jet in and same thing never loses power while turning it out.. then I also read on "Serowbot's carb tuning tips for beginners..." that if it sounds the same while tuning out that you should go lower .... which is kind of conflicting to the first guide I read.

So basically my question is should I go bigger or lower on the pilot , it never loses power or ... gains power *after the initial first turn out* ...

It does seem to run good , have rode it around def more power  in lower gears  *would have to really gun it before when I had my .. not exactly heavy lady friend sit on the back lol but now I dont have to*

Second issue I noticed after I rode it around my header pipes are starting to turn Gold .. which I read conflicting information on that to *too lean or too rich*

Any help would be appreciated and sorry about my horribly constructed sentences.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Carb Tuning + Gold Pipes .. question
Reply #1 - 10/01/14 at 14:49:23

not blue is good.   Cool

and blue is good too.  Cool

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 10/01/14 at 17:52:01

If your idle is fast.....it is good for oil pressure....but makes it impossible to adjust the idle fuel mixture.  If you don't have any results from turning the mixture screw, then try dropping the idle a little bit....until you can hear the difference in tone and speed when you turn the screw.  If you can turn the screw all the way in and the engine speed doesn't drop - then the pilot jet is too big.

When you are done tuning..bump the idle speed back up.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Silverhippi

BigSingle for
Life!!!

Valdosta, Ga
Reply #3 - 10/01/14 at 18:09:45

If I turn my mixture screw all the way in it will cut off the engine.

I did a little chasing of the sweetspot early this week after making a 200 mile round trip. On the first leg I found, via running out of gas, that I was no longer getting 50+ to the gallon with my current tuning. So, I adjusted the mixture (turning clockwise which I believe is leaner) to about 1.5 turns out. Started getting much more frequent and violent backfires on the 26 mile test ride to work. I've adjusted back to about 2.25 turns on the mix screw which closer to where I was and I now have virtually no backfires and the few are very gentle. Who is it on here that says, "Tune it to run." all of the time? I'm probably getting mid 40s for mileage but the bike sounds really happy.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 10/01/14 at 23:05:49

I started to read this.. but,dang, the sentences are so Horribly constructed.
Did you guys spot that?  I mean,coome onnn,,he used WORDS! Every ONE of those sentences was constructed of Words..
I wish I could offer help,but others have the Guru Mono on the carb.. I'm good for some other stuff,and being a Y Zass.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
HeXDeMoN
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 10/14/14 at 08:00:39

Thanks Dave , was easier to tell power drop with low idle then with high idle. Think I got it tuned right .. pipes still goldish but I never used anything to remove it.

Rode it for about 60 miles in the rain performed very good.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 10/14/14 at 08:28:37

Turning the idle mix won't increase power... you should hear a slight increase in the idle speed when you hit the sweet spot, but it will have no effect on power, because it only affects idle... once you open the throttle, the idle mix is doing next to nothing... (once the throttle plate opens, vacuum no longer pulls much fuel from the idle speed passage, because it is in front of the throttle plate)...

The pilot jet does little for power either... because it works mostly at 1/3rd throttle and below....
When you are asking the engine for power, you have the throttle more open than that...

Slide and main jet will make a difference in power...
Pilot matters with low speed smoothness... (makes a big difference in MPG's)....
Idle mix... it's just for idle, and ease of starting...

Pipe color changes, can indicate a problem, if it occurs for no apparent reason.... but, it's not a good way to judge tuning.
Most pipe discoloration comes from extended idling and heat build-up... sitting a traffic lights, or working on your bike, or spending too much time warming up the engine...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
HeXDeMoN
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 10/15/14 at 06:57:44

Was just using the terms other have used in their guide, I know it doesn't increase "power"... just meant it to dignify how it sounds more then anything...

Was originally worried about pipes changing colors because I've read could mean lean or rich *kept reading conflicting information* but after riding it for 60 miles and it literally sipped on gas and it ran great I think I'm done tuning it for now. Probably try to clean the discoloration off the pipes for next year and see if it returns or not but I'm done worrying about it for now.

Still need to get a heat shield for the muffler though Shocked

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 20:17:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carb Tuning + Gold Pipes .. question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.