Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Head stud - major issue? (Read 32 times)
adberns
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Head stud - major issue?
09/27/14 at 13:24:35

Hi, all --

I am attempting to re-assemble my Savage, which I bought in pieces from the brother-in-law.  When it was still running, it seemed to run fine, but had an oil leak.  I was thinking it was the head bolt plug leak, and I have the new parts on order to tackle this.

However, as I was examining the bike for any missing bolts, I noticed this on the stud at the rear of the engine block, just under the carb boot:

From my brief look at the parts fiche, I think this is a stud, and should have had a nut on the bottom (and on the top).  However, it has no nut, and furthermore the threads look either trashed, or it looks almost like a self-tapping screw.  Either way, I doubt I'm getting a nut on there, but I will try.

Anyway, the question: this is a trashed stud that should have had a bolt, yes?  And is the only way to fix it to remove the head, which would require removing the engine?

IP Logged
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Head stud - major issue?
Reply #1 - 09/27/14 at 13:46:22

Nut, yes. Repair... If the threds are trash then you must remove the head to fix it.

Take it from me, if it's not causing an issue, leave it alone.

1986 red, raptor petcock, cham chain tensioner mod,carb plug pulled. DIY highway pegs, DIY ammo can storage...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 09/27/14 at 13:53:45

IF,IF  it needs a nut and the threads are screwed up,run a die up it. They can cut threads in rod,they can clean those up.. IF it doesn't turn... I don't remember that thing. I had the head cover off I think 3 times.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 09/27/14 at 14:03:45

weird, I never seen one F'd up that bad.
a smart person woulda f'd up the nut and did everything they could not to touch the stud.
It ain't easy to replace that stud either.
Kinda think it's pressed in from above.

These two studs some times leak, and the fix is to clean and apply locktite... use the blue not the red!

I'd leave it until you had to pull the head, cause you'll need a new head gasket.  either figure out how pull the stud then or run the thread die on it... don't think you'll have an easy time getting a die on it now, unless you can find a small hex die for it.  then use a wrench to turn it.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 09/27/14 at 14:14:38

Big screwdriver gouge along the upper edge of the fin...(the things some people do)... Roll Eyes...
Try a nut... there's always the chance it will still thread on... if it does, back it off and add some loctite then tighten it down again... (don't strip it.. it won't be as strong as new)...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/09/24 at 13:10:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Head stud - major issue?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.