Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Charging issues and warm connectors (Read 54 times)
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Charging issues and warm connectors
09/18/14 at 17:18:23

I just started having charging issues with my 87 a couple weeks ago.

I finally got around to checking a few things today. Fuses are all good. Bike starts and runs just fine.

I checked the 3 yellow wires from the stator.  I have 35 volts at idle and easily up to around 100 with the engine revved.

The large green connector under the seat and the 3 conductor white connector under the seat and on the rear fender just out from under the pillion seat get warm with the engine running.  Neither got hot just nice and warm.  I pulled them apart. One had a little corrosion so I hit them both with contact cleaner and then put some dielectric grease and put back together.  They still get warm.  The wires are also warm. Nothing showing any signs of melting or anything like that.  

Battery is 2 years old but charges up easily and holds charge for a couple week when it will start the bike, no problem. Connectors are tight and nice and clean.

I did not pull the pillion seat and look at the reg/rec.

Anyone have any ideas where to go next?

Thanks guys  Smiley

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Re: Charging issues and warm connectors
Reply #1 - 09/18/14 at 17:56:42

your battery is shot. Even though it will hold a charge for two weeks that is an indicator it has reached the end of it's life span. All you will do is get frustrated with recharging the battery. The more you recharge the battery the worst it will get. Been there more than once.
I use the Wal-Mart batteries and expect to change them out about every 2 years. Batteries are expendable with a set life span.
sounds like your charging system is working Wink

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 09/18/14 at 18:12:18

You can get the battery tested or just toss one in it.. Nothing quite screws a day up like getting somewhere and it won't start.
Resistors in electronic devices get warm. Resistive connectors do too. Before I started spending money I'd probably want to know what the condition of the battery really is. If it's shady,ditch it,man. If you do put one in I'd think making sure that those warm connections aren't warm due to being resistive. How long does it need to run to get them warm? How do the wires feel close to them?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #3 - 09/19/14 at 03:38:37

A little more testing last night.  The connectors warm after 10 to 15 minutes of running.  The wires are warm too but cool a couple inches away.  I am thinking they are just conducting heat from the connectors.

If I pull the connector from the stator, the lights dim and it idles differently. When I reconnect it, the lights get brighter and the idle is back to normal.

I will fully charge the battery today and then take it and have it load tested.

When I started it last night, I measured 12.45v before starting. during running, even revving it up to around 4 or 5k, I never saw it get back that high. After shutting off, 12.14v. This was after an 8 mile ride as well as several minutes testing.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #4 - 09/27/14 at 15:22:58

Here's a little more info.

Battery load tested good.

Connectors cleaned well and reconnected.  No more heating issues.
Still have 37 volts on all 3 phases idling.  Around 100v when revved.

At the regulator output, I have 13.4v idling and around 14 when revved.  Kind of hard to get an exact reading...the meter wants to keep falling. I saw 13.9 and 14.something.  Sounds like it works to this point.

No matter how much I rev it, I never get any upward movement at the battery.  It just slowly goes down.

Looking at the wiring diagram, it appears that this lead goes to the always hot at the ignition switch, through the fuse (which has been tested good) and to the battery. I have battery power at the output of the regulator when the motorcycle is off. According to the wiring diagram, I should, I believe. This should indicate that the wiring is good.  I have checked the ground down by the clutch lever.  It is fine.  I have no resistance measured from the block to the battery connector.  Starts fine. I doesn't act like there a bad ground or anything. Cranks right over and starts.

EDIT:  I checked the regulator/rectifies per instructions here
      http://racetechelectric.com/ft-751-voltage-regulators.html
Everything tested fine.

Anybody have any suggestions where to look next?

Thanks
Steve

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #5 - 09/27/14 at 15:27:35

Check the engine ground, just a shot in the dark.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #6 - 09/27/14 at 15:31:13

I checked it a while ago.  Got good continuity from the block to the battery connector.  I will check it again just to make sure.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/27/24 at 11:10:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Charging issues and warm connectors

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.