Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Engine stalls while riding (Read 97 times)
Bean
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Engine stalls while riding
09/25/14 at 14:29:12

I was cruising to work with a full tank of gas when all of a sudden my S40 acted like i ran out of gas. Coasted to the side, hard time starting but when i turned fuel to reserve all was good.   After work verified i had gas and left.  bike did same thing on way home till i switched to reserve.  HELP   what do i do?
Huh

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Engine stalls while riding
Reply #1 - 09/25/14 at 15:57:04

Put gas in it...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 09/25/14 at 15:57:36

WWW   IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #3 - 09/25/14 at 16:30:58

If it runs fine on reserve (you do mean reserve, not prime?) then the vacuum petcork isn't the problem.  

Pull the petcock, maybe the screen filter  on the "Run" side is clogged with gunk.  Give it a quick spray with carb cleaner and bob's yer uncle.

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
Bean
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 09/26/14 at 06:08:42

yes i meant on reserve.  since I still have one month left on warranty I want the dealer to fix it.  it ran with hiccups and slight bucking after I bought it and when I brought it in for first 1,000 mile check up they said they noticed it but did not want to do a tear down of the carbs on a brand new bike.

IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #5 - 09/26/14 at 06:35:28

yeah, if it's in warranty, might as well take it in.  I'm waaay beyond that stage with an '07 "r-title"!

I did have the same symptoms a few years ago (2010-ish?).  Cleaning the petcock screen fixed it right up.

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 09/26/14 at 08:02:20

get them to replace the vac line, it could be the cause.

WWW   IP Logged
thefattony
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Jax FL
Reply #7 - 10/28/14 at 10:54:53

Hello

Was it ever determined what was causing this?

I filled up my gas tank yesterday (only took a gallon but I was already near the station)

On my way into work today the bike stalled and would not restart (exactly the same way as if I had run out of gas in "regular" part of tank)

I had no luck starting the bike at all, then I switched it over to RES and waited 15 sec, fired up and ran just fine on my way to work.

So I am not sure what the issue could be, after a fair amount reading it doesn't seem exactly like the starvation issues caused by bad lines in vacuum petcock, because this all happened at low neighborhood speeds (sub 40) and from what ive read starvation issues that would be remedied by raptor petcock come at higher speeds and more open throttle position

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 10/28/14 at 11:21:25

thefattony wrote on 10/28/14 at 10:54:53:
So I am not sure what the issue could be, after a fair amount reading it doesn't seem exactly like the starvation issues caused by bad lines in vacuum petcock, because this all happened at low neighborhood speeds (sub 40) and from what I've read starvation issues that would be remedied by raptor petcock come at higher speeds and more open throttle position

Well....there is no way to be sure.  Faster speeds and more open throttles tend to make less vacuum in the intake manifold.  However when the stock petcock gets fussy......it can make a lot of weird things happen and get you to go a lot of different directions looking for the cause.  When a bike is running and stops, and can be cured by another gallon of gas or switching to RES or PRI.....it is time to get you a genuine Yamaha Raptor 660 petcock. (Don't accept cheap imitations).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #9 - 10/29/14 at 09:13:08

Bean...... these fella's have heard it all here.. your petc0ck is bad. Your shop will tell you its the carb, it is not.
Your petc0ck has a screen attached inside the tank... if your S40 is new and you haven't dumped dirt in your tank, nothing is clogged... not even your jets.
Your petc0ck is vacuum controlled and is cutting off your fuel supply on the main side. By turning it to reserve, it is routing the fuel to the other side and bypassing the main.
Just tell your mechanics you want a new petc0ck, it will get your past your warrenty period and then you can install a Yamaha raptor 660 and fix that problem for good.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 10/30/14 at 14:25:48

Phhhht,, Id take it home before they screw something up and put a Raptor on it.. You dont want a pissed off mechanic messing with it. Mumbling "This idiot thinks he knows more about this bike than I do. Im a mechanic. I know what Im talking about. Blahhdeblaahblaahhblaah".. Take it home, fix it.. You ned the warranty if the wiring goes to crap, the stator melts, engine blows up,, but for simple maintenance? Just do it.. Is the hassle really worth it over a petcock?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 13:30:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Engine stalls while riding

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.