CHANMAN

Sometimes you just
do things

Arkansas
Re: Speedometer
Reply #15 - 10/04/14 at 18:58:23

Dave wrote on 09/26/14 at 04:42:07:
Mechanical speedometers are so........yesterday! Roll Eyes

There are a whole new batch of electronic speedometers that not only offer the ability to get accurate speed information, you can get accurate odometer readings, trip odometer(s), engine and ambient air temperatures, time logs, altitude readings, turn signal and high beam indicators, shift and engine red line lights,  etc.  They are not too hard to install, and as time passes they are getting more affordable  Entry level one are about $ 200 to install and some really fancy ones go for over $ 400.  Some of the more recent ones even have conventional looking cases and swing needles for the tachometer.  If accuracy is important and and money issue are not.....the GPS ones are really nice.

A few years ago all the electronic speedometers looked like lab equipment and did not look good on a bike - but the new ones look more like gauges we are used to seeing on motorcycles.

The fact is that s $ 60 mechanical speedometer is not going to read accurately on the wide range of bikes....maybe once in a while someone will get lucky and have the right gear ratio and tires size and it will read close enough.....and if you are building a simple bobber/rat bike and want a small speedo to check speed once in a while....they might read close enough.  But if you want something useful and do a lot of riding.....by the time you buy a mechanical speedo, tach, and the cable to get them to work on the Savage - you will have spent about as much as an entry lever electronic speedo/tach will cost.  

So do these electronic speedometers work? If so where do you find them and what model

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Speedometer
Reply #16 - 10/06/14 at 03:51:08

CHANMAN wrote on 10/04/14 at 18:58:23:
So do these electronic speedometers work? If so where do you find them and what model

Yes they work.  You have plenty to choose from - the only thing you should avoid is one that is made for a specific bike.  Most of the aftermarket kits are universal - and they may offer some model specific parts.  I know Acewell has some speedometer sending units that plug into the hole where the mechanical cable is driven.  The installation most often requires mounting the speedometer, mounting a magnet and the sensor for the speedometer on the front wheel, and some simple wiring.  The simple wiring may include a lot of wires if you get a speedo that show the indicator lights for the high beam, turn signals, and neutral light.

I have a Trail Tech Vapor on mine and it work well, and I have the dashboard that includes the indicator lights.....which unfortunately are not all that visible in the daylight.   Acewell has a lot of models and some are flat like the Trail Tech Vapor....others are round and look more like a traditional motorcycle gauge.      

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 20:17:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Speedometer

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.