stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
defensive driving
09/18/14 at 21:10:03

today my msf course paid dividends. an a$$hole in a lexus wearing his $300 sunglasses and fancy brand name shirt ran right through a yield into my lane as i approached the intersection runnning about 40mph in the right lane. we met side by side as i slowed down anticipating his jackass move...which was never even looking before he pulled out. i was about three feet from his window and i laid on the horn and yelled at the top of my lungs as he `pushed` me into the next lane to my left (it is a 4 lane road). luckily no one was in that lane at the moment through there was traffic almost on my heels as i was forced over.

anyhow, as i was next to the jerk he continued to takeover my lane and push me over while he rolled down his window (with his grandson in the passenger seat freaking out) and since he gave me a mean look like it was my fault i got more pissed and yelled "you almost ran me off the f-ing road" .  i am usually not like that, but i was staring a nice hospital visit in the eye and i snapped. he slowed down at that point and i rode on and he let traffic separate us...and for as far as i could see he was poking down the road probably getting yelled at by his wife.

so...i feel as if the defensive driving skills i learned in my msf course helped me:
- not overreact (physically.  verbal reaction was fair game... )
- react properly to the situation while maintaining control at all times
- have situational awareness and know where i could safely go in a split second

yall be safe out there and treat everyone as if they're about to run you over.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Re: defensive driving
Reply #1 - 09/18/14 at 21:25:05

I've said it before and I'll say it again, most things animal, mineral or vegetable are the motorcyclists real or potential enemy.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 09/18/14 at 21:40:45

I busted a guys mirror for that once.. He complained about it at the next light. I pointed out that he had pulled out of a parking lot and into my lane,on a snow covered road. I can't just change lanes or jam on the brakes just because you didn't bother to Not try to kill me. I Was just barely able to Not hit you.. So,I thought you needed a little something to get your attention,so I slapped the nuts out of your mirror and if you want,I will happily slap the nuts out of you.  He didn't,I'm glad,my hands were Hurting..it was way cold.. I couldn't even knock on the door when I got to my dad's house.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #3 - 09/19/14 at 07:58:38

I need to find an old car and practice riding by on my mountain bike and slapping the mirror. Once I build up my tolerance to the pain and get good muscle memory so it's second nature I'll be looking for an opportunity to test my skills.

I thought for a brief moment about kicking his door but I didn't want to risk falling off balance in an already precarious situation.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 09/19/14 at 08:18:29

get those gloves with armor plating... better yet brass knuckles.

or steel toe boots and just kick the mirror
and that can be explained as "loss of balance, hell you shoulda seen what the other foot was doing"   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #5 - 09/19/14 at 08:47:47

so...i feel as if the defensive driving skills i learned in my msf course helped me:
- not overreact (physically.  verbal reaction was fair game... )

I don't know if I agree that verbal reaction is fair game, or with the responses about breaking mirrors. Any action could provoke the driver to become more aggressive. I let them know I was there with the horn and then back off.

To this day, before I pull out of the driveway on every ride, I repeat a statement my MSF coach used. "In any altercation between an automobile and a motorcycle, the motorcycle will lose 100% of the time." Yeah, I get ticked off, but it is better to get home.

For what it is worth

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 09/19/14 at 09:39:56

verslagen1 wrote on 09/19/14 at 08:18:29:
get those gloves with armor plating... better yet brass knuckles.

or steel toe boots and just kick the mirror
and that can be explained as "loss of balance, hell you shoulda seen what the other foot was doing"   Grin

That's Hilarious.

It was  a little pick up and it had a relatively frail mirror. It hurt,but I was pissed and back then I was a pretty tough young man. Pain was a normal part of life,something to deal with and go on..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #7 - 09/19/14 at 13:30:59

There was a post here recently showing a guy kicking someones door and then falling off his bike.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 09/19/14 at 13:42:38

jcstokes wrote on 09/19/14 at 13:30:59:
There was a post here recently showing a guy kicking someones door and then falling off his bike.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1404229674

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #9 - 09/19/14 at 14:18:01

I think I'm gonna be the American version of this person:

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #10 - 09/19/14 at 21:46:02

Blinky has the right idea. It's better to ride home mad but safe rather than retaliate and possibly be killed. I need to get a camera and record some of the stupid things I see everyday.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 06:17:36

General CategoryThe Cafe › defensive driving

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.