Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Only runs well with choke on (Read 151 times)
49mack
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Only runs well with choke on
09/18/14 at 14:08:33

I have written before about my '96 "cutting off" and bucking like it was out of gas at about 65mph. I have done some other changes while still working on this and encountered a new problem. Thus far: Raptor petcock, Dyna muffler, desmogged (CA bike), white spacer mod, next hotter plug, cone air filter, 150 main jet. When I desmogged it I didn't know what to do with the vacuum and return lines so I just connected the two ports on the carb with a hose. In the original configuration, they actually form a loop through the charcoal cannister so I thought "stick to simple". Didn't work well at all. So last night I simply cut the connecting hose in half. It is now a mother bear to start and seems to take forever to warm up. On this morning's test ride, it started out fine warm with no choke, hit 70 for the first time ever, then started cutting out again and would not exceed 55 mph and ran very poorly. I fiddled with the choke while keeping an eye out for deer, and it will only run well with the choke knob pulled out all the way. Since a choke is an enrichening device, I am thinking I am under-jetted and tonight will try a 155 main. Any thoughts? All else is well, valves, etc. I am pondering buying a non-California carb. This is crazy. I love this bike but won't love it much longer if it keeps this up. Any feedback is appreciated.
Last question: is there a simple way to vent the tank or gas cap to be rid of the hose under the tank on CA emission models?

IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Re: Only runs well with choke on
Reply #1 - 09/18/14 at 19:30:48

Well, I have a  complete  Carb,
from a  NON,  CAL  Model, (LS650  1997)
http://tomradde.com/xt225/styled/index.html

Don't know for sure, but it 'Looks' like  NONE of the screws have Ever been turned.

If you think it will work for you,  let me know.
Shipping would be 12.50, (IN USA), as it will for in a 'one rate', P.M. Med, Box.

It would be something to experiment/play, with.

And, it, 'may' be the solution, to your problems.

As to, 'venting', a, 'Non Venting', gas cap.
Look to this site.  Lots of information on that.

Their are people, who  Live in Calf. Who would have info on that.
It is, 'possible', they would know how to defeat the:
"Capture the vapors from the gas, and nullify them, so they do not contribute to, 'smog"

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 09/18/14 at 19:43:17

If you can feel vacuum on a hose that goes to nowhere,that is not good.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 09/18/14 at 19:58:06

49mack wrote on 09/18/14 at 14:08:33:
When I desmogged it I didn't know what to do with the vacuum and return lines so I just connected the two ports on the carb with a hose. In the original configuration, they actually form a loop through the charcoal cannister so I thought "stick to simple". Didn't work well at all. So last night I simply cut the connecting hose in half.

and plug them both.  "in the original config" they don't form a loop.  the vac line dead ends at the petcock and the other vac pulls in fresh air thru the canister via the gas tank cap.
Quote:
It is now a mother bear to start and seems to take forever to warm up.

cause you got a vac leak.
Quote:
On this morning's test ride, it started out fine warm with no choke, hit 70 for the first time ever, then started cutting out again and would not exceed 55 mph and ran very poorly. I fiddled with the choke while keeping an eye out for deer, and it will only run well with the choke knob pulled out all the way. Since a choke is an enrichening device, I am thinking I am under-jetted and tonight will try a 155 main. Any thoughts?

seems to be the same problem I'm having ran great for several months, coughed, now running crappy.  mine runs great at speed, just doesn't like to put put.
Quote:
Last question: is there a simple way to vent the tank or gas cap to be rid of the hose under the tank on CA emission models?

stick the hose in the frame some how, if you gotta drill a hole... drill a hole.

WWW   IP Logged
49mack
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 09/19/14 at 06:50:50

Verslagen, you are suggesting to plug those two hoses that formerly went to the charcoal cannister? Or cap them. Neither went to the petcock as I installed a Raptor and capped off that line at the petcock. I had a  large bungee cord rubber tip that fit snugly and cinched it down tight.
I won't get to ride again until possibly Monday as we are forecast for heavy rain next two days. As others have suggested I will check for vacuum and also install the 155 main jet. I also note rom the Haynes manual the CA smog models come with a 47.5 pilot jet and non-CA models have a 52.5. I will order one and let y'all know the results.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 09/19/14 at 07:16:36

cap the carb, stow the canister and lines away.

mine runs rich with a 47.5, but used to run fine with it.

WWW   IP Logged
49mack
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 09/19/14 at 09:29:39

I will try capping the old smog canister lines and see what happens. Meanwhile, I will order the richer pilot jet. I'll report back on results. Thanks for the input.

Interestingly, that line from under the fuel tank just goes nowhere. It just trails out to the rear, terminatinng its' open end near the rear frame rail. In the Haynes manual, it is described as the fuel tank vent. I'd still be interested in hearing from anyone about venting the fuel cap and capping that vent line under the tank. Future experiment. . . I am determined to get the ol' '96 running like it should. Today is the one year anniversary of totalling my Road King sidecar outfit. With a rod in my femur, the Savage is easy to horse around  - IF I could get it right. Meanwhile, I still have my 1974 BMW to "play" with. Its' last big excursion was Sep. 2013 from TX to Portland and back - 6,000+ miles.  Still a great bike considering I'm the only one who has ever worked on it except for tire changes.

IP Logged
49mack
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 09/19/14 at 14:31:57

I plugged the smog cannister lines (silicone seal on the hose ends) at the carb, let it dry and it still will not run. It will start and idle a bit with various choke settings but never enough to wind the engine up a little. It just dies.
6Sigma  Jet Kits isn't answering their phones today so I emailed asking for a 52.5mm pilot jet. Will update as I make progess (ha!). Anyone know another good source for Mikuni jets?
If I could get it to respond to throttle, I'd test ride it. . .

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #8 - 09/20/14 at 20:55:24

49Mack,

I don't know if this will be of any help or not.  When I got my bike, it started and idled great.  Wouldn't take throttle for anything. It spit, backfired, afterfired, and died with the opening of throttle.  

If you disassembled the slide assembly, make sure the spring is pushing the needle up against the little screw down plate.  Mine had been put together backwards by the PO and the spring was pushing the needle down.  Once I changed it, everything was great.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #9 - 09/21/14 at 07:00:51

Just had the same problem after rejetting my '02. Pulled the slide out and found that I hadput it together wrong.
It goes
          Spring in the hole
          Small washer under "C" clip on top of the spring
          White Spacer on top of "C" clip
          Little plate with the dimple down and the holes lined up.

Make sure the rubber diaphram is lined up with the little tab in
            the carb body and the slide is clean.

It looks easy till it goes togethr backaswards. Guess how I know Cheesy

Luck with it

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
49mack
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 10/02/14 at 11:59:48

I think I finally broke the code on desmogging. Thus far, I have cleaned the carb, removed the air filter and box, added a cone filter, removed the CA emissions box then it wouldn't run except with the choke on. Checked for vacuum leaks, found none. Added a Dyna muffler. Did the white spacer mod (2/3 original size). I upped the main jet to a 155 and pilot jet to 52.5 mm (Sudco.com). Here's a tricky thing. . . I thought perhaps I may have installed the spring etc., in the wrong order after the white spacer mod. But I found the spring had slipped over the washer so I tightened up the diameter of the top coil and it now starts and runs very well up to 70 mph. If you have sudden problem, this could be it. Now it starts to spit and seems to be fuel starved at 70-71 or so. I am thinking it needs the next size main jet (160) or I could also be running rich so I will plan to try the 150 first. Report to follow. Oh, yeah - the two lines that used to go to the airbox are just open as is the 3rd "mystery line" on the right side. With a Raptor petcock installed, the former petcock vacuum port is sealed off.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #11 - 10/02/14 at 13:32:16

On my '02 carb there is a little washer that goes on top of the spring and under the "C" clip. The first time I did the white spacer mod I put the small washer on top of the "C"  clip and had the same thing happen, the spring worked up over the "C" clip and thru the carb out of tune.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/01/24 at 17:22:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Only runs well with choke on

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.