Send Topic Print
Oil change problem (Read 81 times)
mountainmad
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oil change problem
09/02/14 at 17:22:55

Hi all. I have a 1996 Suzuki Savage LS650. I recently moved to SoCal and transported the bike, so I had to drain out all the oil and gas. It sat for about 2 months after I drained the bike.

I just put in 2qt of 10W-40 while the engine was cold (there wasn't any oil in the bike, so I didn't want to run it), but there is no oil visible when I looked through the glass.

I thought maybe I needed to run the bike for a couple of minutes to let the oil circulate, so I warmed it up. When it was running, I could see oil moving (spurting might be the right word) through the window. After I turned the bike off and let it sit for a little while, the oil level still showed 0 even though I had just put 2qts of oil in the bike.

I'm going to do another oil change (drain and filter change) and see if that helps.  

Any ideas what could be wrong? Could there a clog somewhere? Can I put an additive in the oil to break it up or something?

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Re: Oil change problem
Reply #1 - 09/02/14 at 17:42:06

The bike has to upright to check the oil. Can't check it with the bike on the sidestand. Get someone to hold it up while you look in the glass. Oil should be a little more than halfway up the window.

If you didn't take the filter out when you drained the oil, two quarts should be about right.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 09/02/14 at 18:05:41

Yeah,that window is empty when the bike is on the side stand.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #3 - 09/02/14 at 18:13:05

If you can't find a friend to help you check your oil level, a small telescoping inspection mirror can help you for about $1.   Wink

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 09/02/14 at 18:13:30

Total oil capacity is 2.5 quarts... it usually takes me about 2.2 to 2.3 to do an oil change..
If there's none in the window, with the bike held up vertical... add some 'till there is...
...if it takes more than 2.5 quarts... put the drain plug in and try again... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
mountainmad
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 09/02/14 at 19:04:34

Thank you everyone for your input. I got a friend to help stand it up, and we're golden now.

I thought the reading was just wrong if the bike was on the kickstand rather than impossible.

IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #6 - 09/03/14 at 14:08:06

on my 'new' '08, I just drained out 3 1/2 litres from previous owner, put in 2 litres of rotella.

BTW, Rotella is on sale now at Wally and O'reilly for $12.77 per gallon. 15w40 !

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/28/24 at 02:26:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil change problem

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.