Send Topic Print
need new rear axle (Read 69 times)
wolfsgrin

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bentonville, AR
need new rear axle
08/26/14 at 15:16:16

I tried to mount up my rear tire this weekend on my new hardtailed frame and my rear axle is about an inch short now. I think what it is is the swingarm where the axle sets is about 1/8" thick and my new axle plates are about a 1/2" thick. any suggestions? how much would it cost to have a new rear axle machined. I'd rather do this than try to get a Harley hub and axle and have it relaced to my new rim that I just spent a lot of money to have my  stock hub relaced to. man, the trials and tribulations of building a bobber.

IP Logged
Spamy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: need new rear axle
Reply #1 - 08/26/14 at 15:24:54

What length do you need?  Another bikes axle may work.  Different bearings could be purchased to accommodate the hub and different axle.

IP Logged
wolfsgrin

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bentonville, AR
Reply #2 - 08/26/14 at 16:04:40

what is the stock axle length for a savage? about an inch longer than that. I'll have to measure to get an exact length needed that kinda ruined my whole day so I just gave up after that. I'm gonna call the guy that hardtailed my frame tomorrow and see what the cost to machine a new one might be maybe he could give me a deal for the trouble or have some other suggestions.

IP Logged
wolfsgrin

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bentonville, AR
Reply #3 - 08/26/14 at 17:28:06

I got the measurements 36-24-36 wait that's for something else. Here we are 11 5/8" in length and 17mm diameter.  I found a list of all metrics with the 17mm rear axle. Now to just go through the hundred models or so and find on around 12 5/8" in length.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 08/26/14 at 17:52:22

Would it be possible to recess the ends of the axle into the side plates you have?  Maybe thread one of the side plates so the axle doesn't have to extend beyond the side plate to a nut.....just thread into the side plate the same way the front axle threads into the fork tube.

Hard to be creative with you....when you haven't provided us with some photos!

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
wolfsgrin

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bentonville, AR
Reply #5 - 08/26/14 at 18:01:48

thanks dave I didn't think of that but that's exactly what it is the axle goes just to the outside edge of the axle plate and nothing left for the nut. I found a 1980's Suzuki Madura axle 17 mm x 12 3/4" for $10 bucks. I think I can use this and thread it down further and chop of the excess overhang.

IP Logged
Spamy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 08/27/14 at 09:27:54

Yeah, I was gonna say, if you find one too long you can just thread it farther back, cut it off and clean it up.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 09:07:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › need new rear axle

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.