Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cylinder head cover assy diagram?!? (Read 73 times)
bobthekerr

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cylinder head cover assy diagram?!?
08/20/14 at 09:24:40

Trying to put this cylinder head back on, have torque wrenches and whatnot but need some help identifying all the bolts and understanding which is which so I can toque them properly. I have the Clymers manual but having some trouble finding a diagram that actually specifies which bolt is which so I can do it properly. Here are the pages from the manual that are the most specific but still can't seem to figure this out.

Anyone have access to a link or a diagram that would be more detailed?

20140820_121732_resized.jpg
  IP Logged
bobthekerr

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Cylinder head cover assy diagram?!?
Reply #1 - 08/20/14 at 09:25:10

Another page...

20140820_121736_resized.jpg
  IP Logged
bobthekerr

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 08/20/14 at 09:33:49

I just found this page as well, seems like it would be informative. Should I just follow this?

All of the bolts for the cylinder head are 10mm I believe, should I just adjust them to the torque specified here?

If the range is between 16.0-25.5 lbs-ft  is it better to be on the low-side, high-side, or right down the middle?

20140820_122826_resized.jpg
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 08/20/14 at 10:26:19

You are about to make a 'BIG" mistake.

The sizes listed are the bolt diameters...not the size of the hex head on the bolt.

The head cover bolts use a 10mm hex wrench - but they are 6mm bolt diameter, and should be torqued to 6 - 8.5 foot pounds.

And no....you should not follow that additonal chart....if you read what it says on that additional chart....it says it is to be used only when the other charts don't specify a torque.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
bobthekerr

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 08/20/14 at 10:40:29

Dave wrote on 08/20/14 at 10:26:19:
You are about to make a 'BIG" mistake.

The sizes listed are the bolt diameters...not the size of the hex head on the bolt.

The head cover bolts use a 10mm hex wrench - but they are 6mm bolt diameter, and should be torqued to 6 - 8.5 foot pounds.

And no....you should not follow that additonal chart....if you read what it says on that additional chart....it says it is to be used only when the other charts don't specify a torque.

Dave

Thats why I check here first  Smiley

When you say "head cover" you mean the part that holds the rocker arms, not the plastic covers that go over it right?

Sorry, just want to be absolutely sure before I go forward with this.

Thanks Dave!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 08/20/14 at 10:49:01

You're scaring me......

The cylinder head cover has the rocker arms fastened to it and it is fastened by a bunch of 6mm bolts of varying length.  Do not tighten these much at all.....6 - 8.5 foot pounds which will not likely register accurately on any 100 pound torque wrench.  These bolts are just snug....they are not at all tight.  If you tighten these too much and strip the aluminum threads....you are going to have to take it apart again to fix things.

The cylinder head has the valve and springs mounted inside it, and the spark plug screws into it.  It is held onto the cylinder by four studs that use copper washers and 9mm nuts that are placed on top of the studs, and there are two 8mm bolts that are located beneath the intake and exhaust ports and the nuts are installed from the bottom.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
bobthekerr

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 08/20/14 at 12:11:45

Sorry, don't mean to scare you.

I have experience in working with machinery, but not engines, they are relatively new to me.

Not trying to frustrate you either I just wanted to be sure before I screw something up and do more damage to the bike than what I paid for it, which wasn't much Grin

I understand now; I was confusing the head diameter with the bolt diameter initially. I am remaining patient and not trying to rush into things before I understand them.

Thank you very much Dave for all of your help, it's guys like you that keep guys like me from lousing the whole thing Wink

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 08/20/14 at 16:40:01

Put the torque wrench away. Grab a 1/4" ratchet.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 08/20/14 at 17:31:01

You're doing well bobthekerr to keep asking questions until everything is totally clarified for you.  That's the best way to proceed.  People on this forum are happy to assist.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
bobthekerr

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 08/20/14 at 17:48:20

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/20/14 at 16:40:01:
Put the torque wrench away. Grab a 1/4" ratchet.

Yup, that's what I did.

However after I got everything put together and hooked up (oil line, carb, vacuum line, etc) I took it out for a quick spin and it stalled twice when I was downshifting into first. I only filled the gas tank up about half way. The only other thing of significance I did was change the spark plug.

I let it warm up a bit before hand and it was sounding a little lumpy.  and I think the decompression cable may have been a little looser than I hooked it up last time because this time it was making some noise because it had a bit of play in it.  

IP Logged
bobthekerr

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 08/20/14 at 19:27:47

Tightened the decomp cable, then took It for another spin. Ran great. Guess I just needed to get the oil and gas flowing through it well enough.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 02:32:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cylinder head cover assy diagram?!?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.