Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
rebuilt...now what (Read 161 times)
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

rebuilt...now what
08/19/14 at 11:14:32

All new gaskets, rings, bored out, piston, valve seals... Is just using oil OK rather than assembly lube...and do I need to do another breakin. Or just seat the rings? And how?

1986 red, raptor petcock, cham chain tensioner mod,carb plug pulled. DIY highway pegs, DIY ammo can storage...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: rebuilt...now what
Reply #1 - 08/19/14 at 11:46:01

I assume you oiled the piston and cylinder when you put it together, and the cam and rockers as well.

Good old Rotella T is fine for the engine to run on....and adding an ounce or two of Redline ZDDP is not a bad idea....but is not absolutely necessary.

Start the engine up, go for a ride, and just avoid any prolonged time at a steady rpm or any high speed nonsense.  Some folks claim that fully off the throttle helps to make a vacuum to seat the rings......they don't do that on Dyno break-in runs or recommend that in any factory manual....so I am guessing that is some "old wives tale" that has been spread around a bunch.

I just ride around as if the road is slippery for a few hundred miles.

Dave      

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Seaweednh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newbury, MA
Reply #2 - 08/19/14 at 13:15:13

I'll assume this is your first rebuild.  Did you check the piston ring gap in the cylinder?  And did you off set the ring end gap on the piston?  You don't want them lined up.  Just had to put this out here just in case. Yes, you want everything wet with oil.  I could tell you a story of what I did as a kid. $2000 worth of damage in three miles. Never would have happened with just a little bit of oil.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #3 - 08/19/14 at 14:09:59

Race mechanic told me to break my 98 in "like I hated it". Cam chain tensioner was still close to fine at 25K, valves have never needed adjusted, no odd noises anywhere in the engine.

Don't know how the 03 was broken in, but at just under 13K miles, I ought as well scrap it and start over. Either the factory seriously cheaped out, or the owner before Pine had it was a wuss.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 08/19/14 at 15:45:01

The cylinder was bored out at a custom bike shop, the pistons new, and the rigs came with the piston...

1986 red, raptor petcock, cham chain tensioner mod,carb plug pulled. DIY highway pegs, DIY ammo can storage...
  IP Logged
Colxjon
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 08/19/14 at 16:18:08

Jsud04 wrote on 08/19/14 at 15:45:01:
The cylinder was bored out at a custom bike shop, the pistons new, and the rigs came with the piston...

Yeah but you still need to check ring gap with a feeler guage... You don't just assume that they are the correct spec. If it's a little tight you can buy a ring filer. Or just do it with a regular file.

IP Logged
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 08/19/14 at 17:41:17

Well...I know nothing about doing that. So I guess I'll learn. I am in process

IP Logged
wolfsgrin

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bentonville, AR
Reply #7 - 08/19/14 at 20:31:20

Any other tips on doing a rebuild for the first time. I will be tackling this next weekend and would hate to ruin all the new parts in the beast performance package I got from Lancer.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #8 - 08/19/14 at 21:45:11

Coat the cam and followers in GL1 90w if you don't have any assembly lube... 3 tablespoons of automatic transmission fluid down the sparkplug hole the night before you intend to fire the engine for the first time... DINO oil for the first start up, I know, late model Hardley Worth-a-sh**s and Sh**trolet Corvettes use Mobil 1 from the word go, the Savage engine is barely out of the 1930s...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 08/20/14 at 03:16:12

Is any form of assembly lube acceptable? Or is there a preferred brand?

IP Logged
ls650v

97 savage

Clinton Twp, MI
Reply #10 - 08/20/14 at 03:19:40

If I remember right the Suzuki Service Manual recommends a moly paste (don't remember the Suzuki part number) be applied to the cam lobes.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 08/20/14 at 03:39:52

Did you get a new cam grind....one from Lancer?

It will come with the break in lube.  Follow the directions that come with it.  For a new cam installation you want everything ready to go when you start  the bike - you don't want to stop or idle the bike for a period of time that they specify in the break -in instructions.  The cam lobes don't like low rpm when the cam has not been used before.

For the piston rings - if the shop didn't check the ring end gap is would not hurt to do that.  Slide them one at a time into the top of the cylinder, shove them down just a bit with the piston so they are sitting square in the bore, then use a feeler gauge to check the end gap.  Most factory rings are made to spec - the only question then becomes did they bore the cylinder to the correct size for the piston and rings.  When you assemble the rings onto the piston and get ready to slice the cylinder on, lightly oil the ring and cylinder, and align the ring gaps so that none of them line up....space the gaps 1/3rd around the piston, and I try never to align anything over the tops of the piston pin......just a habit of mine.

Dave

IP Logged
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 08/20/14 at 04:34:51

No I an sticking with the stock cam for now and money sake. The bore was to ensure the best outcome of the rebuild as far as oil consumption is concerned.
http://www.therestorationshoponline.com

This is mostly what this guy does. Since he is ordering the part and doing the work I feel it should be spot on. I'll ask if they gapped the rings, and if not I have him do it..I am not keen on the precise stuff lest it be a valve adjustment.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 08/20/14 at 04:54:55

wolfsgrin wrote on 08/19/14 at 20:31:20:
Any other tips on doing a rebuild for the first time. I will be tackling this next weekend and would hate to ruin all the new parts in the beast performance package I got from Lancer.

OK....What is the Beast Performance Package you are referring to?
I thought maybe it was a cam grind or Wiseco piston.

IP Logged
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 08/20/14 at 10:24:07

Oy! Correct me if I am wrong but the ring end gap is based on the piston requirements.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 04:21:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › rebuilt...now what

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.