Send Topic Print
Crank Shaft Bearing (Read 192 times)
IrishSavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Crank Shaft Bearing
08/18/14 at 04:26:07

It has not been the best of times when I recently found out that the crank shaft bearing needs to be replaced on my 1998 savage. I live in norway and the price for having it fixed is about 5000$ which is more than the cost of the bike itself. I was hoping somebody on here could have some tips for what I am dealing with, seeing I'm pretty new to working on bikes. I was adviced by the shop to throw the whole thing away... I have looked for a new motor but so far I am having no such luck. Any ideas would be well apreciated!
Thanks!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Crank Shaft Bearing
Reply #1 - 08/18/14 at 04:31:50

Not sure I can be a lot of help to someone in Norway.  I replaced my crank bearings about two years ago.  It requires a lot of work, a couple of hundred dollars worth of parts and gaskets.

What are the symptoms you had, how many miles on the bike, etc.  If you can't do the work yourself it could get expensive.  Around here there are enough crashed bikes that buying an engine is not difficult - but I don't imagine that is easy in Norway.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 08/18/14 at 07:48:57

Before you lay it in a dingy, sail it out into the bay and light fire to it...

Seek out the local savages, there might be a Norwegian savage website, or seek out the Finns or Germans, I know they have groups and I've sold to a few in the area.  And try a few more shops, that one does not like savages.  I got a feeling $5000 is a go away price or I'd love to send my daughter to college price.  Find someone that'll take you under there wing and work with you.

There's also a few specialty tools you'll need, or figure out how to do w/out.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 08/18/14 at 09:32:17

I'd get a used engine,if possible. Then,I'd tear into the old one. That way you are not parked and you can rebuild the engine Hotter than stock,put it back in,sell the Used engine that has been dragging you around.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 08/18/14 at 10:23:32

BTW, who told you it was a crank bearing?
aside from dave, you're the only one that's ever lost a crank bearing that I can recall.
I've lost a counter balancer bearing and there's probably a few more.
So loosing a bearing is a pretty rare event for a savage.
They're splash oiled, open caged, ball bearings.

What are the symptoms?

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 08/18/14 at 10:57:54

verslagen1 wrote on 08/18/14 at 10:23:32:
BTW, who told you it was a crank bearing?
aside from dave, you're the only one that's ever lost a crank bearing that I can recall.

And I may not have actually lost the crank bearing.....the loose flywheel nut was mostly likely making all the noise - but the bearing did have a tiny amount of play in it.  Not sure if the loose flywheel made the bearing loose...or the loose bearing made the flywheel nut come loose. Huh

When oil problems arise the cam and piston are usually the first things to fail, as bearings can survive with very little oil.

Yep....it would be nice to know what the symptoms are.

Dave

IP Logged
IrishSavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 08/19/14 at 01:11:28

First of all thanks for all the tips!

I don't know much of the symptomps other than that the engine was making a terrible hacking noise. The bike run just fine, but worried bout the sound I brought into a local motorcycle shop and they told me that it was the crank shaft bearing. I have another thread on here were there is a link to youtube with me recording the sound of the engine.

It looks like I found a engine in the us, and maybe I can get it shipped. I like the idea of getting a new one and messing with the other one. Good oppertunity to learn!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 08/19/14 at 03:11:54

My engine had a horrible knock.  It started out sounding like a tick when the bike had 400 miles on it, and I was new to this bike and was not sure that they didn't all sound this way.  Forum member Skasjow met me one night so I could compare the sound of my bike with his....and his did not make as much noise for some reason.  The tick progressed into a loud knock - it was so loud that you would hear me coming from the knock....not the muffler.

For some reason the fllywheel nut on the left side of the crankshaft that is supposed to be torqued to 100 foot/lbs. - was finger tight.  The flywheel is splined to the crank, and the knocking was the crankshaft and flywheel banging back and forth.  The noise was loudest at idle and at cruising speeds it was hardly noticeable.

The only problem in trying to see if this is a problem wit your bike is the left side cover has to come off, and the magneto rotor has to be pulled off - which requires a special puller.  Once the rotor is off you then need a large deep socket to access and tighten the flywheel nut.  You can also pull up and down on the end of the crankshaft and see if there is any play....that might indicate a crank bearing issue.

Dave

IP Logged
IrishSavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 08/19/14 at 06:54:42

That is the exact description of my bikes behavior the last month! Do you know where I can get a hold of this special puller? If maybe there is a suzuki part number I can find it by? And say if this is actually my problem as well, would it fix it with the right torque on the flywheel nut? Or should the crank shaft bearing still be replaced?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 08/19/14 at 07:38:15

If you can get to the flywheel nut and prove it was not torqued and put it back together and test it and Not cry if you have to go back in,,well,you do the math,and,of course Dave's experience will help.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 08/19/14 at 08:48:19

Can you find a local shop with Suzuki tools that would check it for you at a reasonable cost?  The puller is a bit expensive, and the large deep socket can be as well.  I think I paid about $ 60 for the puller, here is a link to a cheaper on I found on eBay...it says it is a 50mm x 1.5 RH thread.  I bought a cheap regular socket and cut it in half, and welded a piece of tubing in to make it a deep socket to use on the flywheel nut.  The end of the crankshaft sticks out a long way beyond the flywheel nut and it requires a deep socket.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-LS-650-VS-1400-Magneto-Flywheel-Puller-50mm-x-...

Dave

IP Logged
IrishSavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 08/21/14 at 02:15:40

So I've orderd the puller. But just so I got this right, the puller is for the magneto rotor. But is the large deep socket also a special suzuki tool that needs to be ordered or is that something I can get at a hardware store?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 08/21/14 at 03:00:50

The large socket is something that a local mechanic may have, if they work on large equipment.  I was able to buy a cheap socket for $ 7.00 from Tractor Supply Company, and cut it in half and welded a piece of pipe in between the two parts to make it a deep socket.  I will look and see what size it needs to be.

Dave

IP Logged
IrishSavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 08/21/14 at 03:03:36

I should probably be able to borrow one from work.
Really apreciate the help, thanks!

IP Logged
IrishSavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 04/27/15 at 04:39:26

I've had a hard time getting a hold of the deepsocket. I ended up doing the same as you Dave, welding a piece of pipe in-between the two parts. But now I am very confused to what needs to be torqued, so I am posting a picture and maybe you can tell me what I am looking at.

11187809_10153263789287629_5113219531038594995_o.jpg
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 08:48:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Crank Shaft Bearing

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.