Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
up sizing bore (Read 175 times)
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

up sizing bore
08/13/14 at 09:28:45

If I step my bore size up will I need a new sized head gasket?

1986 red, raptor petcock, cham chain tensioner mod,carb plug pulled. DIY highway pegs, DIY ammo can storage...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: up sizing bore
Reply #1 - 08/13/14 at 09:34:30

Nope.....the head gasket will work with the stock 94, or the DR 650 pistons that are available in 95, 96 or rare 97mm bores.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 08/13/14 at 09:44:56

So its got 20000 miles on it. The lip in the cylinder is very slight. But the shop that I took it to get honed at says that I should really bore it and go to the next size up otherwise I run the risk of tapered cylidar, slap, or other crap...thoughts?

1986 red, raptor petcock, cham chain tensioner mod,carb plug pulled. DIY highway pegs, DIY ammo can storage...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 08/13/14 at 09:54:52

Jsud04 wrote on 08/13/14 at 09:44:56:
So its got 20000 miles on it. The lip in the cylinder is very slight. But the shop that I took it to get honed at says that I should really bore it and go to the next size up otherwise I run the risk of tapered cylidar, slap, or other crap...thoughts?

I think that without some measurements, photos or hands on activity....we can't provide any information that is accurate.

Why did you take the engine apart?

Dave

IP Logged
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 08/13/14 at 10:08:37

Leak from stripped oil galley bolt...

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 08/13/14 at 10:18:16

Well, 20,000 miles is not a bunch on the bore.  Youzguyz has 100,000+ miles on his and it is still on the original piston and rings.

The only thing I can suggest is that you use a feeler gauge and check the clearance between the piston and cylinder.  Check on the front or back of the piston near the top of the bore. (Don't check the sides or at the top ridge).  If the piston to cylinder wall clearance is excessive...then it is time for a piston and bore.

Dave

IP Logged
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 08/13/14 at 10:24:16

Well...the cost of the rebuild now vs doing it again is leaning me swords new piston and bore...

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 08/13/14 at 11:06:13

Well....then you got to decide.  Overbore with stock piston....or Wiseco?

Wiseco is more power, and the use of Premium fuel now and forever.

Dave

IP Logged
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 08/13/14 at 11:10:40

Where can I get an over sized stock piston? What would you choose.

IP Logged
Michael L

brumm..!

Denmark
Reply #9 - 08/13/14 at 11:16:25

For me, the choise would be obvious.. Next bore size with wiseco.. But if you're not the type for more power, then ofcourse there's no need to put the extra stress on the engine, so just go with a standard piston..

Atleast, with just the new bore and whatever piston you choose, with good maintenance, the bike should give you many many miles.. Considering that the cyllinder and piston basically would be as brand new..

I think you would have more peace of mind once everything is back together, knowing that you got it bored with new piston..

It's definitely worth it..

IP Logged
Michael L

brumm..!

Denmark
Reply #10 - 08/13/14 at 11:22:51

Get in contact with a shop who can order genuine suzuki parts..

..Im wondering.. how much difference does it give in feel of performance, with just a wiseco and no bigger bore..? Not trying to hijack your threat, but I thought you may wanted to know too  Wink

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 08/13/14 at 11:33:22

Michael L wrote on 08/13/14 at 11:22:51:
Get in contact with a shop who can order genuine suzuki parts..

..Im wondering.. how much difference does it give in feel of performance, with just a wiseco and no bigger bore..? Not trying to hijack your threat, but I thought you may wanted to know too  Wink

You don't have the option of a Wiseco with a 94mm standard bore.  Wiseco doesn't make a piston for the S40/LS650.  They make a piston for the DR650 that just happens to work in the S40/LS650.....with a stock DR650 95mm size, or an oversize 96mm...or 97mm by special order in bulk.

I used the 95mm in my bike - and it does make the bike accelerate faster and when you roll off the throttle....it slows down faster.  I like it!...but it may not be right for everyone.  The compression is bumped up from the stock 8.5:1 to around 10:1....we don't know for sure as all the compression data is most likely for the DR650 which has a different head.  All we know (or care about) is it works.

Dave

IP Logged
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 08/13/14 at 11:42:26

Well a bore out is 85 dollars and a piston is 178... So 263 plus tax...or just hone and new rings for 25...seems like you would spend the $ and do it now while I got it down...

IP Logged
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 08/13/14 at 11:47:16

I should add a honing is 85 as well

IP Logged
Michael L

brumm..!

Denmark
Reply #14 - 08/13/14 at 12:01:57

Well if it isn't nessesary, why not save the money.. But, if the mechanics have measured it out, and advises you to get it rebored, then you have no choice but to listen to them, if they are reliable mechanics who isn't out to just score some quick cash, ofcourse..

Lancer on this forum once offered big bore kits, don't know if he still does. I don't remember the price either, but you could look into it and see if it's worth it for you.

Dave, that sounds awsome. Is the starter capable enough to handle the extra compression? Is the extra power enough, to be worth the price and work???

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 14:19:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › up sizing bore

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.