Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
03 650 LS Savage - Battery wont hold charge (Read 42 times)
The Gibsta
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

03 650 LS Savage - Battery wont hold charge
08/11/14 at 07:13:49

Hello,  New to forum.  I have an 03' 650 LS Savage with less than 4500 miles on odometer.  If the bike sits for 3-4 days w/o being operated, the battery gets drained down to such a point that it will not turn over to start.  I bought a new battery approx 2 months ago, charged it and the bike still doesn't hold a charge.  

Is there some circuitry on bike that could be draining power from battery when it is off or is this more of a charging problem.  If so, any suggestions as to how to isolate and determine what is causing this problem?

Thanks for any help that can be offered.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: 03 650 LS Savage - Battery wont hold charge
Reply #1 - 08/11/14 at 07:41:28

...how long are your rides?... occasional rides of 2 or 3 miles aren't enough to charge a battery....
If you don't go more than 10 or 12 miles on your average rides, you should connect a trickle charger when you park...

4500 miles is very low to have any stator or rectifier problems...

Do you have any accessories connected?...

Double check your battery and ground strap connections...

Beyond these simple things,.. you'll want to start checking voltages with a meter...(battery voltage at rest, cranking, and at idle and revving)...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Re: 03 650 LS Savage - Battery wont hold charge
Reply #2 - 08/11/14 at 16:00:10

I'm thinking there's a drain somewhere.  Mine has sat for a couple weeks and started with no trouble.  Most of my trips tend to be short 1 to 3 mile and I haven't had to put a charger on mine in the almost 2 years I have had it. Standard wet cell battery.

Like Serow said, are there any accessories installed that might be eating power when supposed to be off?

If the battery is not connected, will it still go dead in a couple days? If so, it's a battery problem. If not, it's something on the bike.

If you've got a meter with an amp scale on it, connect it between the battery and the + lead to the bike.  With the key off, it should read 0. Anything over 0 and something is pulling power.

Also, you've probably already done this but make sure you are turning it off and not to park which will leave the tail light on.

Do you have the battery going dead problem if you ride the bike every day or every other day?

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 18:35:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 03 650 LS Savage - Battery wont hold charge

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.