Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
dyna muffler conversion (Read 734 times)
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Re: dyna muffler conversion
Reply #15 - 08/18/14 at 18:39:29

Serowbot wrote on 08/18/14 at 17:45:16:
Those are a little unusual looking, I haven't come across any like that...
Looks like they have a welded in nut instead of a bolt,.. and some kind of dress cover held on with hose clamps...

PS.. I think they may be CAT equipped,.. based on the heat shield cover...

Serow, here's a few close-ups of the nut job (deal, thingy, whatever you call it) and a couple from both ends of the muffler. I suspect that the honeycomb deal is the CAT? My hope was that they weren't CAT equipped so I wouldn't have to deal with the bluing, etc. but it is what it is.

If you think it's worth mounting, I'll figure it out one way or another unless someone out there (in here) has used this set-up and has suggestions...can't be too difficult. The rearest mounting hole looks to be about 1/2" from the most forward mounting hole on the bike's factory bracket so I may have to make a small jumper of some sort to tie it all together.

Lastly, does the CAT/non-CAT affect the level to which a reject mat be required or is it only the potential for bluing (that it seems would really only be under the heat shield) that it impacts?

Thanks!

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #16 - 08/18/14 at 19:03:13

Here's a pic from the tech section that I think has some discoloring on the pipe that I am trying to avoid (I stole the image...it's not my bike...it belongs to one of you so thanks in advance  Wink Wink )

newfatty2.jpg

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #17 - 08/18/14 at 19:19:39

Can't avoid it, it is inherent to the first hole position in the crossover baffle.

Hot gases exit the inner baffle, hit the outside wall of the muffler, discolor it from the extreme heat, bounce off and reenter the center baffle through the next series of holes.

Think of it as an "aimed" propane torch and you won't be too far off .....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #18 - 08/18/14 at 20:26:31

That honey comb deally is a flame arrestor.
Can't tell if a cat is on the other side though.

WWW   IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #19 - 08/18/14 at 21:28:18

verslagen1 wrote on 08/18/14 at 20:26:31:
That honey comb deally is a flame arrestor.
Can't tell if a cat is on the other side though.

the seller who is also a bike builder shook it and said if it had a CAT that I would hear stuff rattling around inside. they are solid as rock. nothing moving inside. i am none the wiser so who knows.

guess there's one way to find out  Shocked Shocked

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #20 - 08/18/14 at 22:33:08

Okay, I'll differ to Versy... The only Harley muff's I've seen with that coil in the inlet said CAT equipped...
Regardless... I've installed 2 like that... and test ridden them... and did not notice any performance reduction...  (they did blue a little at that point, but yours seem to have an additional dress shield to account for that)...
Heck,.. you have them...
I'd install it...

I love to pick on the Harley crowd.. (although I now own one)...
... but, Harley makes good pieces... with great quality chrome...
... and those Shorty's that so many Harley guys throw away, are nice mufflers...

...(I clean my Sporty muff with 000# steel wool,...try that with a Jap muff and it will scratch)... my Savage Sporty hasn't scratched in 20k miles...
That's good chrome...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Todd James

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mansfield, Ohio
Reply #21 - 08/18/14 at 22:40:24

Harley-Davidson's description for
Part Number 64708-08B is:

"MUFFLER,FRT/RR,CHRM,CATALYST"

So... If you want to hide the discoloration that
is likely to occur from the cat heat then you should
plan your installation to include the shield that came
with the muffler.

The 2" diameter Cobra Universal Heat Shield that I
showed in my previous post does a nice job of
covering the necked-down diameter of the forward
portion of the HD muffler shield you have.

2007 S40, Dyna, 52.5/150, .073 Spacer, 2 Turns
2007 Sportster 1200, V&H Pipes
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #22 - 09/09/14 at 21:33:17

Update: finally got around to mocking up the install tonight. here is what I did.

1) needed a bracket to mate up rear mounting holes. proceeded mock up without it. it was a mock up...
2) had some foil hvac tape and wrapped several loops for the needed thickness where the two join. wow, what a great alternative to cutting a can.
3) cranked it up and wow...sounded great. adjusted idle and ran up and down the driveway and still enthralled at my success.
4) decided to take it out for a short run. preparing to exit the driveway i noted some smoke at the joint but chalked it up to wd40 i dripped on it.
4) pulled out on the road all excited to show off my new sound to the two deer i almost hit pulling in the driveway today.
5) as i rolled through first gear and got into second a little harder to really hear her scream, the muffler shot off like a rocket rolling down the road...and the bike really got loud!

Well, what had happened was...the glue in the foil tape was melting into a hot, slippery goo (hence the smoke) and the first good gush of pressure coupled with the vibration pulled it right off the bike. skinned it all up.

Luckily i bought a pair and I have a nice, pretty one to reinstall.

Lesson learned...the foil tape maybe isn't the best idea and DO NOT ride without the rear bolted in place!!!!!! I am lucky it didn't roll under the rear tire and cause a bad accident.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #23 - 09/09/14 at 23:31:41

stewmills wrote on 08/18/14 at 21:28:18:
the seller who is also a bike builder shook it and said if it had a CAT that I would hear stuff rattling around inside. they are solid as rock. nothing moving inside. i am none the wiser so who knows.

guess there's one way to find out  Shocked Shocked

Only if it was already knackered. He's having a lend of you. Nothing rattling around inside a cat equipped muffler in good condition.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #24 - 09/11/14 at 05:19:58

Modern catalytic converters are molded into honeycomb structures.....like the one at the entrance to the pipe you have.  They have a lot of surface area in a very small package.  Early catalytic converters had pellets that looked like "Bean Bag Chair" stuffing....and they would rattle when you shook them.

Yes you definitely need a rear support.  Not only to keep the muffler from working it's way off the header pipe - but also to support the weight of the muffler and header.  You don't want all that weight being supported by the joint/gasket/bolts at the cylinder head - when you hit a pothole the weight and lever arm created by an unsupported muffler places an incredibly large force on the header pipe and cylinder head.

The chrome shield made to fit over the muffler can is a very good idea for a cat muffler.  The catalytic converter gets much hotter than a stock muffler, and that is why the chrome turns blue....it is very hot!  Even for the stock muffler the shield is a good idea if you have a passenger.  I never ride in shorts and I never let my wife ride in shorts - but a hot exhaust pipe can make a nasty burn and a lasting scar.  I have had 3 major burns from hot chrome exhaust pipes, and they took years for the scars to fade away.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #25 - 09/11/14 at 07:13:39

Thanks, all!

It's definitely a CAT.  I got a mounting bracket made up last night.  Didn't have time to take pics of the procedure but I'll post a pic maybe tonight of the finished product (be prepared...I am NOT a fabricator) in the event it helps others with this similar style pipe.

I intend on using the heat shield that came with. I as well got a nasty burn from a 4 wheeler when I was about 10 that nearly turned into gangrene because I hid it from my parents.  Lesson learned!!!

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #26 - 09/11/14 at 21:38:06

Here are a few pics of the bracket and a few things before the install.

Here is the bracket I made.  I welded two 1/4" bolts to one end to mimic the bolts on the original muffler that went through the frame mounting holes. I then drilled two holes to bolt the bracket onto the muffler.

Here is the bracket bolted onto the muffler.

Here is the soup can (cream of mushroom to be exact) to be used as the gap filler/crush seal.

I couldn't find a better clamp at the auto parts store, so I cut the screw off of a 4" hose clamp and wound it up inside the factory clamp and it was enough to fill the void allowing it to clamp the smaller dyna muffler onto the pipe.

Finished product with the heat shield that came with it. (sorry for the dark photo...it started getting dark on me).

Overall I was pleased with the process and learned a few things, mostly thanks to this forum and everyone's advice.  I did not need to rejet and just adjusted my air/mix screw and she seems to be running great. A little snap/crackle/pop here and there when you really get on it or decelerate quickly with it in gear but I kinda like it and I think that is to be expected.  It isn't really loud, which is what I wanted, so if LOUD is what you are going for seek an alternative.

If anyone else is trying to install this same model/style muffler and I can be of assistance with more details on my bracket just let me know.

Thanks, forum!

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #27 - 09/11/14 at 22:47:24

stewmills wrote on 09/11/14 at 21:38:06:
Here is the soup can (cream of mushroom to be exact) to be used as the gap filler/crush seal.

Cream of Mushroom... is the best kind of soup can to use...
I do hope you had grilled cheese....

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #28 - 09/12/14 at 05:44:09

Quote:
Cream of Mushroom... is the best kind of soup can to use...
I do hope you had grilled cheese....

All be it my favorite, it was unfortunately used in chicken and rice. Boo....

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Todd James

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mansfield, Ohio
Reply #29 - 09/12/14 at 06:05:58

I like the way you moved the muffler shield forward to cover the clamp and joint.
Very neat. Nice job !

2007 S40, Dyna, 52.5/150, .073 Spacer, 2 Turns
2007 Sportster 1200, V&H Pipes
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 20:47:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › dyna muffler conversion

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!