Send Topic Print
cam chain (Read 191 times)
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
cam chain
08/02/14 at 17:39:31

How much do you think a mechanic, not the dealer would charge to install a new cam chain? Its a private shop. I don't think I can do the versy myself, and i'm just wondering.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: cam chain
Reply #1 - 08/02/14 at 17:52:32

A tube of KY jelly isn't really all that expensive, but remember, the mechanic 1) charges by the thrusting stroke and them stroke counts do mount up and 2) he isn't any more familiar with your bike than you are, so he will take a lot more strokes to finish up the job (and break a few more small things) getting into and out of it.

Wink    ..... and it may leak oil when he is done since he is "too experienced" and "too knowledgeable" to read our tech section for all the smart tips.

Extra negative points if he has a Suzuki Tech Manual that does not have all the many errors marked and corrected -- your rubber plug will go in dry and your valve adjustment will be done with the engine rotated backwards to TDC.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #2 - 08/02/14 at 18:03:43

ouch,thats not too promising.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 08/02/14 at 18:13:24

Ah, BUTT it was so very very opinionated, it was.

Sad thing is if anyone chimes in it will be with yet more stealership/mechanic horror stories of which we have heard too too many for us not to think it might be better for you to try to do it yourself.

The worst thing we consistently see is the mechanic recommending all sorts of unneeded complex repairs and they ALWAYS want to charge you at least 10 hours of unnecessary labor to get the engine out of the frame and then put it back in again (and they break and mis-adjust the majority of stuff attempting to do this totally unnecessary step).

Read this simple "how to" which shows how to do it with the engine sitting undisturbed in the frame.  

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1256079122

Read this and understand it isn't really that hard to do this stuff, it just takes time and a place to work.

Using this methodology Serenity did his rubber plug job up at a Dragon trip in just one afternoon, working in the little lighted gravel penalty box they have up there for repair work.

Lancer and I drank beers and cheered him on from our chairs .... and helped only when he needed his third hand.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 08/02/14 at 18:33:13

I don't know if you realize,...  
If you install the Versy modded adjuster, you don't have to replace the camchain... (it will go another 30k miles or so on the second hole)...

Replacing a camchain is a bit difficult,... but just installing the modded adjuster is a much easier job...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #5 - 08/02/14 at 20:00:46

I'll probably have to have a mechanic try to install the adjuster at some point. I was just wondering if replacing the chain was a viable alternative.,which it isn't, I guess. i just don't think I can  do it myself ,just like most things on my car.Some of you guys are very handy,I'm not in that leauge.There is actually a very good mc shop up the road from me.Thanks for your answers!

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #6 - 08/02/14 at 20:25:58

Fair enough, if you are going to a shop. Perhaps check threads on installing the Versy tensioner and the known errors in the Clymer manual and  show the service advisor or mechanic anything you can print off. If the mechanic gives a sympathetic hearing or is at least willing to listen to you, you may well be satisfied. If you run into "we're professionals, we know what we're doing" attitudes  perhaps it's time to find another shop or consider doing it yourself.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #7 - 08/02/14 at 20:29:26

Thats a good suggestion JC ,thanks

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 08/02/14 at 20:49:29

Okay,... if you are going to a mechanic... tell him you want the Versy modded adjuster installed, and in the extended hole if it will reach... (if the stock adjuster is more than 17mm out, it should be able to use the extended hole)...

What you don't want is a new camchain.... that will require double the install time, and cost.... and will waste useful remaining life in your original camchain...

Some mechanics are quick to catch on, and will see the improvement of the design instantly...  others are sticklers for factory only equipment, and think anything different is voodoo...
...(assure him, this is a tried and tested, quality upgrade)...

Print out a few pics of adjuster extension measurements, and second hole attachments,... etc,... so he can grasp the measurement points, and how the second hole works...

Study up, on the installation instructions we have in the Tech Section,.. so you can be a knowledgeable customer...
Hiring a mechanic to do the job, is almost as hard DIYing it... (you should still have all the info and knowledge,... you're just paying him for his expertize in turning wrenches... Hopefully, he won't break anything, or strip any threads, or forget any parts)... good mechanics seldom do...
... bad mechanics can make F'ing-up into an art... Grin...

EDIT.... Jeez!... I just spent all this time, single finger typing this ... and JC beat me to the post,... and did it in a simpler, and more concise, prose...
Nice work JC...  Wink... darn you!... Grin...
I'll leave mine up, too... in case it has a morsel more info,... and, because I just spent all this frikkin' time typing it!...
Grin Grin Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #9 - 08/03/14 at 01:05:26

How many miles do you have on your bike? And why do you figure you need a cam chain replacement?  Alot of work for sure if not needed. Like Serobot said, do the Versy mod and you will not need to replace the chain. By the way, my suzuki dealer told me to replace the chain, they would first have to remove the engine from the frame and the total bill would be around $600 or over unless they found other things wrong and it could go higher. And they will always find things that should be replaced. I am no mechanic either but changing the plunger is pretty simple and anyone that can in here, would help walk you thru the procedure. Save yourself a ton of money because some of these guys in here know alot more about the 650 then the dealers mechanics do. Do not be afraid to ask!

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #10 - 08/03/14 at 01:33:44

rl153, I would almost be inclined to PM Verslagen for the relevant posts on installation of his tensioner and his pricing/avadability . Fortunately it appears you intend using an independent shop, a Suzuki dealer will be contract bound to install Suzuki Genuine Parts. This is not the dealers fault, simply the way it is. If the shop is a Suzuki Dealer, it might pay to look elsewhere.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 08/03/14 at 03:55:36

No one can't do the Versy. Save the money the mechanic would cost,buy tools. Start on a Friday, we will be here to walk you through it. It's Not complicated,just a little tedious. Just don't get in a hurry. The only Bear Trap is the clutch cable hanger .That's an easy fix.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #12 - 08/03/14 at 06:41:54

Thanks for all the input guys,I was just planning for the future . i saved your post Bot. My bike has 6500 mi on it (2005)and I'm not going to put a cam chain in it , I was just wondering if it was a big job, which i guess it is. I think I'm still safe for a year or two. I try to plan ahead, I didn't mean to create a stir.At some point I'll buy a verslavy.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 08/03/14 at 08:37:07

By the time it's time for the chain to be dealt with you will have been around long enough to see others who have no clue today learn how and succeed. It's good to plan ahead and get those worries out Now,before it's time to tear into it. I Needed that little STIR you stirred up. You didn't hurt anyone.. That's what this place is for,airing out your thinking..have fun,post stuff..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #14 - 08/03/14 at 09:27:23

Thanks Jog!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home