Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
drive splines and pulley (Read 164 times)
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

drive splines and pulley
08/01/14 at 13:29:00

So I was reading and looking. I am rebuilding my top end and looked over the drive splines. The bolt was loose when I got it from the po and the pulley has play when I slip it on but once I thighten it down it seems fine and makes no noise. 20000 miles...so the question is are the photos of my spline and pully much to worry about? Seems to run fine when the bolts really tight..

http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y517/jsuders04/savage/IMG_20140801_161349...

1986 red, raptor petcock, cham chain tensioner mod,carb plug pulled. DIY highway pegs, DIY ammo can storage...
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: drive splines and pulley
Reply #1 - 08/01/14 at 14:09:33

"You want the truth?....

You can't handle the truth"...
Huh...

Honestly,... once it has some wear. it will continue to wear, due to the ability to now move forward and back on accel and decel...
.. like a little jackhammer every start and stop...

I think Oldfeller has tried some JBWeld in the splines... (somebody did)... Never heard if it worked...

At least... put some locktite on it and be alert for the loose sound...

Mine was loosening every 6 months of so... 'till I bought a new washer, tightened it with an impact wrench, and used locktite... it's been quiet for over a year now...
There's no good fix, that I know of... just keep it tight.. and hope for the best...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 08/01/14 at 14:24:45

Is it worth me splitting the case at this point and Putin new spline in or buying a pulley? Or does it look like is got some life? I have the top end off and of hate to put it ogeather just to take it apart in 1000 miles...

1986 red, raptor petcock, cham chain tensioner mod,carb plug pulled. DIY highway pegs, DIY ammo can storage...
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 08/01/14 at 14:32:35

That's for you to decide,.. based on your experience...
New spline shaft, pulley, plus gaskets will cost a $100 or $200...
... and you might booger the assembly (I would)...

I would never attempt it... if mine goes, I'll locate a low mile engine and start over with newer everything...

JMHO... I'd make it super tight and keep an eye out... if the splines wear too much, have it welded in place...(you'll never be able to get the belt off from that point, but it can last 100k miles)...
Then, when the belt finally goes, just buy a new engine...
It ain't the right thing... it's just what I'd do...
Undecided...

PS.. I can't remember if you have to remove the pulley to replace the stator...
Anybody?...

PSS.. actually,.. you could replace the belt,... by grinding away about 30% of the outer pulley edge... just enough to get the belt past the stator cover case... not sure if that would be too much to keep the belt in place for use... but it might stay... might be fine...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 08/01/14 at 15:28:16

I did pull the stator cover off by accident I didn't realize that I didn't need to should I replace the stator now with just twenty thousand miles on it?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 08/01/14 at 15:31:46

There was someone on here that tried to replace the output shaft once.
She was a newb to the savage, but game enough to try, so musta had some skills.
Don't know if she picked up the wrong shaft thru incompetence of the seller or just inscrutable mods to the tranny to make most years incompatible with others.  but the one she got didn't fit the one she had.
The last I recall OF doing was a RTV filler, I don't think anyone has done a proper JBweld fill.  You'd have to have a pretty bad gap for jbweld to work.  and getting it in there consistently aint gonna be easy.  and won't be any more removable then welding.  I'd want to pressure feed it into the splines.  My thought was to grind a groove in the middle of the gear cutting thru all the splines of the pulley.  then drill and tap a hole from the outside to the groove.  slip the pulley on the shaft, fill the hole with JB and force it with a bolt into the pulley till it shot out the splines.  Put the nut on tighten as required.  To get it off, use a torch to burn out the JBweld.

WWW   IP Logged
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 08/01/14 at 15:35:22

But that's a last resort like won't tighten anymore right?

IP Logged
Seaweednh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newbury, MA
Reply #7 - 08/01/14 at 16:13:44

I haven't had first hand experience with this particular engine but.... most pulleys are made of a milder steel than the shaft.  If the majority of the wear is in the pulley, I would buy a new pulley. This may take care of your problem.  As for the photo, not as clear as I'd like to see it but from what I could see, it didn't look bad.

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #8 - 08/01/14 at 16:49:57

Yes, you can remove the stator with the pulley in place.  At least you can on an '87.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #9 - 08/01/14 at 16:54:25

Quote:
PS.. I can't remember if you have to remove the pulley to replace the stator...
Anybody?...

I second Steve H. My Clymers says that the pulley has to come off, but when I polished and re-clearcoated the stator cover on my '06 I got it off without touching the pulley with no problem.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 08/01/14 at 19:26:57

Well, I would suggest you clean everything to remove the grease and oil including the nut.  Then apply permanent thread locker on the shaft, pulley and nut, and assemble everything to the maximum torque value.  Then crimp a new genuine Suzuki lock nut with not just one...but two bends of the washer up onto the nut.....then go riding and don't worry about it anymore.  You have done what you can.....it will either hold for a very long time....or it won't.

There is a fellow that posted a listing in the Marketplace for a 5 speed bottom end where he has installed a new output shaft as he boogered one up - but he just went ahead and got a new engine anyhow.  You could get that for a backup...just in case.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 08/01/14 at 20:18:31

OK two more quick questions... Should I replace the can chain tensioner slides when I do the new chain or reuse em? And when I took the head off the gasket was two metallic pieces...what's that about?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 08/02/14 at 04:29:47

I don't think you need to replace the plastic slides at 20,000 miles....maybe when you replace the chain at 40,000 miles.

If you are talking about 2 little metal tube like pieces....those locate the head cover precisely so it is in the proper place when you put it back together.  Every machined casting on the bike will have 2 of those.....or two pins......they are important - but them back on when you assemble it again.

Dave

IP Logged
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 08/02/14 at 04:42:49

Eh I am replacing the chain now cuz its well stretched, and I'm talking about the gasket itselfnwas metal with guest between em.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 08/02/14 at 04:50:45

Yep, the head gasket is layers of metal and goo.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/26/24 at 08:13:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › drive splines and pulley

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.