Karen A
YaBB Newbies

What do you mean
"park it for
the winter"?

Roanoke, VA
Saddle bag dimensions?
07/30/14 at 20:49:48

I've looked around and haven't found any references to what size saddle bags are recommended...

I'm looking at getting a set of hard-sided bags that I like, but not sure what size would be best or how to measure the bike.  it's been 7 years since I added my bags to the Rebel 450 I had and my memory doesn't stretch that far back. LOL

suggestions?   the bags I'm looking at are either a 17 or 19" Mutazu hard bag.

Karen - KI4GOT
k.i.forgot (it's a ham thing)
Riding since '07 - Rebel 450 prior to my S40
WWW   IP Logged
d3lux1
YaBB Newbies

Christiansburg VA
Re: Saddle bag dimensions?
Reply #1 - 07/30/14 at 22:14:25

I'm in the market myself, and did some measuring today. If you measure from the back of the turn signals, anything longer than 15 inches will probably hit your leg.

'05 S40 - first bike
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #2 - 07/31/14 at 04:13:15

I really think it is a personal choice. How much do you want to put in the bags is the biggest thing. The stock bags are pretty small, more like a couple of envelopes hanging off the side. Good for just a little stuff, but not much help if you go to the grocery store, for example. Many of us end up moving our turn signals back to the license plate holder to get more clearance, and bigger bags.

I know I'm not answering your question, but I think it is less of "what will fit" than "what do I want and what can i make fit"

Just my $0.02 worth.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
Seaweednh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newbury, MA
Reply #3 - 07/31/14 at 07:25:54

Karen,

Here are the bags I'm using  http://www.vikingbags.com/suzuki-boulevard-s40-savage-ls650-spear-shock-cutou...

I had to relocate the rear signals to a plate bracket.  The down side to these is if I were to have a passenger it may be hard to get to the pegs.  Otherwise I love the bags, the perfect size for me.

Savage_bags.jpg
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #4 - 07/31/14 at 13:35:34

This company shows what each size looks like on our scooters. I assume it is accurate.

http://www.vikingbags.com/suzuki-boulevard-s40-savage-motorcycle-saddlebags.htm

edit: I see Mr. Weed is using the brand. I guess I should look more closely before posting.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Seaweednh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newbury, MA
Reply #5 - 07/31/14 at 14:50:38

Greg wrote on 07/31/14 at 13:35:34:
This company shows what each size looks like on our scooters. I assume it is accurate.

http://www.vikingbags.com/suzuki-boulevard-s40-savage-motorcycle-saddlebags.htm

edit: I see Mr. Weed is using the brand. I guess I should look more closely before posting.

Greg,

Wait to you get to be my age, and I see that's only seven years to go (not including an upcoming birthday)

I posted mine for that exact reason to give the reference to size on our bikes.  With that said, I don't like Vikings method of securing the bottom of these bags. They have a quick release clip on the bottom of the bag and a long strap that they tell you "tie" to the bottom of saddle bag brackets. My thought if you use the clip to disconnect the bags, you have a strap still tied to your bracket to go in the spokes.  The second problem with this system is with the shock cut outs you have very little surface. I could only vision what this would look like coming down the road.  I bought "cable clamps" for the U-bolt, two for each bag, and secured them.  Other than that I love the bags.

Savage_bags_2.jpg
  IP Logged
Karen A
YaBB Newbies

What do you mean
"park it for
the winter"?

Roanoke, VA
Reply #6 - 08/03/14 at 16:31:44

anyone care to post pics of a hard saddle bag install on their 650's?

I'm debating between a couple different styles and would love to see what some look like, and maybe get feedback on brands or styles.

Karen - KI4GOT
WWW   IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #7 - 08/04/14 at 06:51:48

Karen A wrote on 08/03/14 at 16:31:44:
anyone care to post pics of a hard saddle bag install on their 650's?

I'm debating between a couple different styles and would love to see what some look like, and maybe get feedback on brands or styles.

I'm too lazy to post pictures here.
Looking at:
http://www.mutazu.com/products.php?cat_id=7&menu=Hard+Saddlebags&s=prod.php

I am currently using the GA bags.  I used to have the LN bags.
If you look here:
https://www.facebook.com/neal.achterhof
You can see both bags mounted in various pictures.

The GA bags will be on the most recent posts.
The LN bags start around Sept 28, 2013.

Both require that the turn signals be relocated.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #8 - 08/04/14 at 07:21:13

Hey youzguyz, what was the reason for going from the LN to the GA's?
Also, in both cases, how did you get them mounted?  Did you use the standard flat bars they provided or did you go for the Ensure hard brackets?  FB link didn't work.  Not sure if it's because I'm not a member.

Karen, here's a link of a Savage with the LN bags.  Really sharp lookin' bike.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #9 - 08/04/14 at 07:28:17

Tocsik wrote on 08/04/14 at 07:21:13:
Hey youzguyz, what was the reason for going from the LN to the GA's?
Also, in both cases, how did you get them mounted?  Did you use the standard flat bars they provided or did you go for the Ensure hard brackets?  FB link didn't work.  Not sure if it's because I'm not a member.

Karen, here's a link of a Savage with the LN bags.  Really sharp lookin' bike.

Well.. crud.   I thought the FB link would work regardless if you were a member or not.  
Guess not.  Sad
Still too lazy to post pictures  Tongue

Anyway.  I used the flat bars on both bags.  Didn't even take them off when I switched.
I switched from the LN to the GA for 3 reasons.
1. The GA bags hold more.
2. A door fell off of the LN bags (latch gave way (I presume), then the wind took the door)
3. The lights on the LN bags are useless (as others have said).  I tried a variety of way to make them bright enough, and never was happy with the results.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #10 - 08/04/14 at 07:57:36

Thanks youzguyz.  That's the info I was looking for.  Shame about the lights on the LN's; those bags look really good on our bikes.
In the end, I would prefer top-opening bags to side window anyway.

If there's any way you could share a pic with the GA's, there's a few of us who'd appreciate it!

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #11 - 08/04/14 at 08:24:22

Took these from his FB post...tried to get the different angles. (Some great pics on there youzguyz)

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #12 - 08/04/14 at 08:53:04

EJID.. Thanks for grabbing those and posting them here!! Cheesy
Much appreciated!

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
  IP Logged
Karen A
YaBB Newbies

What do you mean
"park it for
the winter"?

Roanoke, VA
Reply #13 - 08/04/14 at 14:30:45

Quote:
Well.. crud.   I thought the FB link would work regardless if you were a member or not.  

worked fine for me...  but I was logged into FB...

Quote:
Anyway.  I used the flat bars on both bags.  Didn't even take them off when I switched.
I switched from the LN to the GA for 3 reasons.
1. The GA bags hold more.
2. A door fell off of the LN bags (latch gave way (I presume), then the wind took the door)
3. The lights on the LN bags are useless (as others have said).  I tried a variety of way to make them bright enough, and never was happy with the results.

thanks. I was looking at those before asking my questions, and glad to see pics of both.  I love the styling on the LN, but think the GA (and similar shapes) might be more useful. still debating between them, now that I've seen pics of both.   I think I can finagle the LN latches to be more secure, so that's not a problem. good to know the lights aren't great tho. but with mechanic hubby and our love of tinkering, I'm sure we could come up with a better solution.
Wink

looking at Mutazu's site, any thoughts on the LW? similar style to the GA, but a little bit bigger (19.5" vs 17").

Karen - KI4GOT
WWW   IP Logged
eruby
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Upstate South Carolina, USA
Reply #14 - 08/15/14 at 10:54:51

Is there any soft sided bag out there where you don't have to relocate your turn signals? I'm not looking to pack for a 2 week trip, just something to throw some small stuff in. If there are some available, pics or dimensions would be great. Thanks.

2000 Savage
Raptor Petcock Upgrade
#7 Stopper Seat Lift
Otherwise Stock
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/20/24 at 05:12:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Saddle bag dimensions?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.