Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Trouble, maybe the carburetor? (Read 260 times)
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Trouble, maybe the carburetor?
Reply #15 - 07/31/14 at 12:01:12

busne wrote on 07/31/14 at 11:16:24:
hi dave...is not the same To run in prime position and when stop the engine I put the original petcock in on?

Mostly, yes.  But still leaves the possibility of...

Quote:
When the engine is running and pulls the diaphragm open - it can leak fuel into the vacuum line if the diaphragm is leaking.

In the early stages of diaphragm failure, the leak may only occur while running... vacuum assisted leak so to speak.  and if you also have a leaky vac line, enough air can flow to clear any trace of gas.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #16 - 07/31/14 at 13:31:30

busne wrote on 07/31/14 at 11:16:24:
hi dave...is not the same To run in prime position and when stop the engine I put the original petcock in on?

In the prime position the diaphragm is pushed open by a small piece of metal - so the fuel flows all the time....even if the engine is not running.  In the FUEL and RES positions the fuel only flows when the engine is running and making a vacuum.

And yes....the diaphragm can leak in PRIME, FUEL or RES if the diaphragm is going bad....unless you block of the vacuum line.

Have you tried blocking off both sides of the vacuum hose yet, and then set the petcock to PRIME - and gone for a ride to see if the engine runs correctly yet?  

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
busne
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 08/02/14 at 03:33:06

...dave...after the ride with prime position must I control the spark plug?....and if the problem is the petcock in this way the plug should be ok...

after my holiday I try this test!!!

thanks guys!!!

Wink

IP Logged
Seaweednh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newbury, MA
Reply #18 - 08/02/14 at 14:38:25

Dave wrote on 07/31/14 at 08:58:59:
Seaweednh wrote on 07/31/14 at 08:28:29:
If you really want to see the effect of your tuning, this may be for you (and anyone else)

http://www.amazon.com/Gunson-G4171-Motorcycle-Colortune-12mm/dp/B0012M7S2I

I have one that I've used to set up vintage MGs

The colortune would be just about worthless on the Savage. The plug is buried under the fuel tank, down in the cylinder head.....if you do manage to catch a glimpse of the plug....it will only show you what it going on at idle...as you can't ride and observe the plug while you are riding.

If you really want something worthwhile, you need to weld an oxygen sensor in the header pipe, and use a meter.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1348491882

Dave,

With the raptor petcock the tank can be slid back far enough to put the color tune in. It has airror at the end that can be adjusted to see the flame. When I set the MGs up I never drove them done the road either. But I could throttle the engine.  Trying different setting on the carb works too although doing it while driving down the road isn't a good idea, I've spent too much time in hospitals lately.

IP Logged
busne
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 08/30/14 at 02:09:57

HI guys!!!...I come back home after my Holiday...
I immediately make the "WITHOUT vaacum petcock test" and the engine run ok!!!
...I think my petcock work bad in ON position.... Angry

I have a question...in this condition is possible run Always with the vaacum pipe disconnected and closed and also the petcock  Always in PRIME position?
and when I stop the engine turn the petcock in ON or RES position... Wink

waiting an answer...thanks!!!

« Last Edit: 08/30/14 at 05:18:32 by busne »  
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #20 - 08/30/14 at 03:45:14

You can ride with it set to prime always.  You won't have a reserve fuel setting and will have to watch your fuel level carefully.

As long as the bad diaphram doesn't get any worse, it should still stop fuel flow when the engine is off and you put it to on or res. But, you still have a bad petcock. It would worry me

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
maxtowers

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Versilia, Italy
Reply #21 - 08/30/14 at 11:56:21

verslagen1 wrote on 07/30/14 at 14:47:43:
29mm ? is that the float height?

max had a collapsed float, which threw off his float level.

If you have similar issues, check your float level.
easy way is to attach a clear line to the bottom of the carb drain and open it.  with prime on, the gas level should rise to just under the gasket.

For reference (http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1364725734)

Hi Busne, sorry to be late in the discussion Sad
Anyway, Verslagen is right, my biggest problem was the float... it was beaten up pretty bad, so i guess the reduced volume of the float screwed up the level in the carb...
I was lucky enough that as soon i changed the float and switched to a warmer spark plug the bike started to run properly.
I will check if i can see your email or send you a PM with my email and phone, and a link to download the Clymer manual that  i have found just today...
If anyone else is interested let me know if i can post the link or, otherwise PM me...

1994 Suzuki Savage, mini ape, raptor petcock, lowered forks
  IP Logged
busne
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 02/09/16 at 03:54:44

Hi guy!!! I lost  Roll Eyes the link where is explain how I can modify the original petcock in a petcock without vaacum line like raptor petcock....

thanks

Wink

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #23 - 02/09/16 at 04:28:03

You can look these things up by yourself.....you don't have to wait for us to find them for you.  In the Technical Section is a link to the Table of Contents.....it is located here:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1181745927

When you look through the subjects...you can find this in the Petcock Section.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1113631600/1

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 20:41:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Trouble, maybe the carburetor?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.