Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Illinois, new license class for 600cc and up (Read 104 times)
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Illinois, new license class for 600cc and up
07/28/14 at 05:46:31

I don't know about Illinois, but in many states most riders would never be able to pass the existing tests on their big cruisers with a long wheel base.  And at the proposed 600cc level our Savage would be included.  I think that if they do this they should go by horsepower.  I don't like it, they don't have this sort of restriction for cars.
From the Chicago Tribune

Quote:
Illinois considers new license requirements for big motorcycles.
After graduating from Illinois' motorcycle safety class, instructors say, some students rush out and buy a monster racing bike that can go 140 mph — and they can't handle it. Yet to get a motorcycle classification on a driver's license in Illinois, students don't have to use one of the bigger bikes to take the driving test. They can test on a smaller motorcycle, then go out and ride whatever they want.

That might not always be the case, as the state contemplates the creation of a new class of motorcycle license.

Instead of offering licenses in just two size classes — one for cycles with an engine displacement of less than 150 cubic centimeters, like off-road bikes and scooters, and another for all other sizes — Illinois would add a third category for the bigger motorcycles, possibly starting at about 600 cc. And drivers would have to test on the size bike they intend to ride.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Re: Illinois, new license class for 600cc and up
Reply #1 - 07/28/14 at 06:01:31

Any motorcycle, road or off road, has the ability to reach speeds that will kill you. 40mph or 140 mph, hit a tree and you are basically toast. Ideally, the licensing regulations need to match maturity and judgement with speed and horsepower. Anybody have an idea how to do this?

Good hunting

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 07/28/14 at 06:43:52

The Insurance companies do this somewhat.  If your are young, and want a high horsepower car or motorcycle, you have to pay a lot of money for an insurance policy.

This does keep some young and honest riders from getting sport bikes.  But is also results in a lot of young riders on sport bikes without any insurance! Shocked

I have always thought that it was wrong for a young Noob squid with money to be able to buy a 140+ mph sport bike....before they even knew what a front brake was used for.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 07/28/14 at 07:45:53

Next thing will happen is there will be a lot of straw man purchases of liter squid bikes, and a lot of outta state bikes.  

And Harley will come out with a sub 600cc cruiser.   Shocked

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 07/28/14 at 08:00:18

verslagen1 wrote on 07/28/14 at 07:45:53:
And Harley will come out with a sub 600cc cruiser.   Shocked

Yup...
Harley 500, complete with fugly radiator and pipe.... Undecided...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 07/28/14 at 08:08:17

Hey!... who's lobbing for this anyway?   Shocked Huh Roll Eyes

WWW   IP Logged
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 07/28/14 at 11:46:58

You know, I never actually tried to pass the WA test on my S40. When I took the test, I rode a Yamaha XT225. A sweet little dual-sport, no effort to handle, very light and nimble. Now that we have a spell of good weather, I think I'll drop by the test course on Sunday and see how it goes. IMO, the S40 is very low-speed maneuverable so, for us at least, it may not be a problem.

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #7 - 07/28/14 at 16:25:29

It was that way in Australia for years: a learner or probationary rider was stuck on a 250cc bike for the first couple years, then could upgrade to a full size like. Now we have the Learner Approved Motorcycle Scheme (LAMS) where it's a power to wieght rule. So learners can ride bigger, more appropriate bikes. There's an upper power limit of something like 38hp, so we have  a situation where you can buy the same bike, new in restricted LAMS form, or the full fat unrestricted one. It seems to be working well.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #8 - 07/28/14 at 18:54:41

"Drivers would have to test on the size bike they intend to ride"

What if I intend on riding a different size bike? How are they going to regulate this?

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Face

Tubes Rule !!!

SL,UT
Reply #9 - 07/28/14 at 20:11:03

Here in good ol' Utah, we have four classes for motorcycle licenses.
90cc or less
249cc or less
649cc or less
650cc or larger tested on, you can ride anything.

I was "grandfathered in" when that happened a few years ago. Wouldn't have mattered, I tested on an 803cc.

All that would really happen if you got pulled over and you were on a larger bike than you were licensed for is a verbal warning. Then a ticket for whatever you did to get pulled over in the first place. Tongue

"I have not failed. I've just found 1,000 ways that won't work."
Thomas A. Edison
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #10 - 07/28/14 at 23:00:26

When I got a bike licence in 1976, you could ride anything. Then a 250cc limit was introduce sometime this century. Then we went to a LAMs scheme similar to Australia a couple of years ago. This allows most things up to 650 cc and the S40/Savage qualifies probably because of its low horsepower. There is a small list of under 650 pocket rockets which learners can't use. The interesting thing I found recently was a 650 Hyosung which was LAMs approved even with a 100mph maximum with the LAMs approved throttle restrictor in place. This was a piece of metal secured by two easily accessible bolts. Removing this gave a maximum in excess of 120 mph.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #11 - 07/29/14 at 15:30:05

Just another example of government stupidity and nanny state mentality.  If you can operate a motorcycle (any motorcycle) safely enough to be allowed on the road, that's all they should be interested in.  Being able to handle the size, power, speed, etc. is the responsibility of the rider. Process of attrition weeds them out much faster on bikes than in cars.  It's just another way to get more money out of the people. Just like the separate 3-wheeler license that I believe has covered most states by now. If you can operate one safely, you are capable of operating all similar vehicles safely.

I took my license test on a 70's chopper. Was told by the examiner that I was the only one in his 30 years of testing that had ever passed on a chopper.  Back then the motorcycle license meant you could drive anything powered with less than 4 wheels.

Licensing of any kind for operation of any vehicle was declared unconstitutional by SCOTUS back in the early 1900's.  But, since the judiciary has no power to enforce and the states saw a cash cow, here we are being extorted by our government for doing what it is our right to do.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/08/24 at 15:55:05

General CategoryThe Cafe › Illinois, new license class for 600cc and up

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.