Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sputtering, jolting, stalls - clogged fuel line? (Read 77 times)
eikkaj
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sputtering, jolting, stalls - clogged fuel line?
07/24/14 at 11:19:22

This is my first bike and I'm slowly learning to do things myself so I apologize for the n00bness. Wondering if anyone has any input:

Last night I took the bike for a ride and about 10 minutes in the bike started to feel like it was jolting a bit, i tried to accelerate and it started sputtering and eventually just stalled. I didn't think It could possibly be out of gas (should have only been about 1/2 thru the tank) but I put it on reserve and the bike still wouldnt start back up. I waited about 15 minutes and got it to run again, still pretty jolty.

Got it home and an hour later took it to the gas station to get a fresh tank anyway, rode it a few miles, opened up the throttle a few times and it felt ok. A friend suggested maybe a clogged fuel line?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Sputtering, jolting, stalls - clogged fuel lin
Reply #1 - 07/24/14 at 11:35:39

It could very well be the vacuum operated petcock failing.

Go to this link, and follow the test for the petcock, and you may need to get a Raptor Petcock to replace the stock one.  Be sure to get the correct Yamaha part....not a Chinese replacement.  If you don't see the correct Yamaha part number on the white box from Yamaha.....buy it somewhere else.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1366651397

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
eikkaj
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/24/14 at 12:10:59

Thanks Dave I will check this out

IP Logged
eikkaj
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 08/03/14 at 12:05:12

Petcock seems to be fine.

Cleaned the carb, which was already pretty clean. The bike stalled again the other day on the highway in traffic, going about 30 mpg. Got it running again after waiting about 20 minutes but it stalled out again a few minutes later. Seemed like it got up running *better* with the choke out even though it had already been running for awhile.

The problem seems intermittent but Friday was the worst, ended up having someone come with a truck to pick it up.

If the carb and petcock are fine, any other advice as to what I should look for?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 08/03/14 at 12:36:45

did you which to prime during all this?

if not, then it's your vac line, or aged diaphragm.

WWW   IP Logged
DeepPurple
YaBB Newbies

Florida
Reply #5 - 08/03/14 at 12:55:17

I had a few bad noob weeks a few years ago when my petcock started failing. I didn't want to believe, nor did my full trust in Suzuki dad want to believe Suzuki would put a faulty part on one of their bikes, but they did.

Mine had the same symptoms as yours except it would only stall out above 50, but it ran horrible at slower speeds. I changed the spark plug, cleaned the carb, messed with the needle, adjusted the valves, etc but finally said whatever and bought the simple and easy to install Raptor petcock.
Fixed it instantly and forever after I've been a slave to the savage forum lol.

So it could be something else, but my advice is to go ahead and buy the petcock anyways because the stock vacuum system is going to fail. If it fixes your problem in the mean time then even better! It probably will too...

IP Logged
eikkaj
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 08/04/14 at 06:38:50

Alright, I bouht the Raptor so I will install it this week and we'll see what happens! Thanks again

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 08:23:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Sputtering, jolting, stalls - clogged fuel line?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.