Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
2014 Wyoming trip prep/mods (Read 105 times)
rijopiatt

Columbia City, Indiana
2014 Wyoming trip prep/mods
07/23/14 at 23:32:50

I've gleaned a lot of good info from this forum the past two years, so I've decided to share my planning/mods and then highlights of the trip as I'm on the road.

I'm leaving next week from the Ft. Wayne, Indiana area (approx. 4 hrs. Southeast of Chicago) to north central Wyoming, with alternate bad weather routes to Colorado or New Mexico. I'm giving myself 2-3 weeks.

I hope you enjoy and/or find something useful. Over the next several days I'll add info and photos as I load up.

The bike-2012 S40 bought new in 2013 with zero miles and now has approx. 4,000.

Cruz Tools tool roll-over the year I've forced myself to not use my shop tools so as to make sure (as much as possible) I have what I need in the roll. The only thing I eliminated from their package is the electrical tape, which I store elsewhere. I have added the items you see laying on the flap as I needed them. The third from right is a telescoping magnet. The rest are self evident.

Zipper pouch- the small magnetic tray I slick to the bike and put parts I remove in so as not to lose them. Second from right is epoxy stick.

Bicycle water bottle holder- has a rubber base and velco wraps around the fork. The bungee loop is not needed for the bottle but left on as it will secure a Starbucks-like coffee thermos. Very easy to reach even while riding.

Ace hardware solid brass combination lock- used as a trip odometer with a rubber grommet installed in it's loop, allowing the analog clock to be bolted thru.

Handlebar rack- left photo- I fabricated this from sheet aluminum and its mounted to the handlebars with after market windscreen clamps that accept sliding rods for adjustments. I've used 3/8" dia. bolts with the heads cut off and the threaded end used for bolting the sheet metal. Unseen are diagonal braces underneath that I added, as I was getting some vibration while riding. A Velcro strip on top secures a map case.

Handlebar rack-middle photo shows Wolfman Luggage small rollie bag mounted, which holds a spare front and rear tire tube, talc, leather rim protectors and a dedicated ratchet wrench for the front axle.

Handlebar rack-right photo shows an Aerostich map case mounted.

Handlebar with cramp buster mounted (I've tried several others and this is the simplest and works very well) and bar end-weight (both ends) with integrated lock used for securing helmets. The weights dampen vibration.

A final note for today. I've switched-out the stock handlebars for drag bars with (if I remember correctly) 2" pull-back.

More tomorrow!

« Last Edit: 07/25/14 at 04:58:30 by rijopiatt »  

2012 S40 w/12,000 miles: drag bars with bar end weights, raised seat, Raptor petcock.
  IP Logged
BalingWire

"The savage in
man is never quite
eradicated."
HDT

Wauseon, Ohio
Re: 2014 Wyoming trip prep/mods (bike front)
Reply #1 - 07/24/14 at 03:44:44

A well thought out set up. Your bike exudes the Metaphysics of Quality.

"The satisfactions of manifesting oneself concretely in the world through manual competence have been known to make a man quiet and easy."
Shop Class as Soulcraft: An Inquiry Into the Value of Work
  IP Logged
rijopiatt

Columbia City, Indiana
Reply #2 - 07/24/14 at 07:28:50

Thanks. I'm uploading a side view momentarily.

2012 S40 w/12,000 miles: drag bars with bar end weights, raised seat, Raptor petcock.
  IP Logged
rijopiatt

Columbia City, Indiana
2014 Wyoming trip prep/mods (left side view)
Reply #3 - 07/24/14 at 08:39:41

This is a continuation of my previous post "2014 Wyoming trip prep/mods (bike front)

Starting at the front- Suzuki engine guard. It probably won't help me, but maybe the exhaust and/or the engine is a fall and it looks ok.

Above my hand- seat has been raised 1", putting my hips slightly above my knees, being much more comfortable.

In my hand- a fused power cord/outlet grounded to the bike frame which is easier than to the negative terminal of the battery. both wires are easily accessed.

Chrome tool storage box- converted to storage for spare bulbs for all lights on the bike.

USB adaptor- plugs into the power cord/outlet, allowing me to charge my cellphone while riding. The wire is routed to the cellphone sitting in the saddlebag.

Leather throw-over-the-seat saddlebag- with the strap cut off for a cleaner look and also eliminating trying to route the strap under the seat and dealing with the rectifier that's mounted on the fender.

Rear view of bag- shows it bolted to a 1/4" acrylic sheet with chrome spacers and washers positioning it for easy removal and installation against a  stock Suzuki hold-out. The bolt closest to the shock absorber coil spring has an "L" bracket that is loosened to release the unit.

This bag stores my rain jacket, rain over-boots, rain gloves, closed cell kneeling pad for road-side work and a jack.

That's it for now. More to come!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: 2014 Wyoming trip prep/mods (left side view)
Reply #4 - 07/24/14 at 09:52:14

Don't rely on the stock bag brackets as your only mounting.
I had one break on me, lucky no bags at the time and only one leg.

And I think they're only meant to keep the bag outta the spokes, not actually hold up a bag.

WWW   IP Logged
rijopiatt

Columbia City, Indiana
Reply #5 - 07/24/14 at 13:11:03

Hmmm, bad weld or ????

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #6 - 07/24/14 at 14:53:29

Verslagen is right.  Most pannier racks for dual sports use 3/4 steel tube with 4 mounting points and a brace across the back as well.  

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
rijopiatt

Columbia City, Indiana
Re: 2014 Wyoming trip prep/mods
Reply #7 - 07/25/14 at 05:30:05

Left side photos

Raptor petcock installed.
Spare keys zip-tied to wiring behind the S40 cover plate. The single screw located at the top right of the cover plate (sorry-was more noticeable before copied and pasted) is easily accessed with a miniature ratchet wrench- no need to take the seat off.

Left-spare oil carried behind left saddlebag.

Middle- Twisted Throttle fuel bottle bracket (for a round 30 oz. bottle) attached to saddlebag hold-out.

Right- side stand plate being pulled out of it's pocket that's velcroed to the back of the saddlebag. Its easily accessed and put under the side stand from the sitting position.

Next post will be of a very versatile rear rack.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 21:55:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 2014 Wyoming trip prep/mods

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.