Send Topic Print
shifting linkage broke (Read 101 times)
s40guy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

shifting linkage broke
07/21/14 at 16:42:27

Went to ride yesterday. Started my bike up push down to go into first gear and crack. Linkage broke. For some reason my linkage on my 2006 S40 had a slight bend in it when I bought it used. I had it for little less than a year and she gave out. The new ones I looked at on the 2012 and 2014 S40's seem to have a straight shaft linkage. Nothing seemed like it was hard to shift, like no tranny damage or anything. Just seemed like the linkage gave out near the bend in the rod. The linkage broke right at the bend so I assume that that is all it is. Anyone have any suggestions as to what else to look for or do you think it was just weak linkage? never had any trouble shifting or anything else the whole time I owned the bike. Anyone else ever have this problem? Anyone else have a straight linkage or one with a slight bend? I ordered my new one yesterday on line and I should have it by mid week. Thanks, S40 Guy. Undecided

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Re: shifting linkage broke
Reply #1 - 07/21/14 at 18:08:36

Some people think you have to stomp on the peg to shift.I see it a lot when I teach the MSF class.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/21/14 at 18:11:43

It is probably just a case of the PO abusing the linkage by stomping on the  lever and bending the somewhat fragile rod.  The bend set up a strained area that finally gave way.  A replacement will fix it.  

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
s40guy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 07/21/14 at 18:17:55

That is kind of what I thought. I always shift very careful and never try to slam it into gear. Can you tell me if the linkage on your bikes are straight or have a slight curve? the new ones I saw on S40's looked straight to me. Thanks, S40Guy

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #4 - 07/21/14 at 18:21:25

It should be straight.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #5 - 07/21/14 at 20:41:45

Straight, very cheap grade of metal, order and carry a spare. Even babying them, they can snap w/o warning.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
s40guy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 07/22/14 at 16:56:31

Thank you guys. Once I get the new one on and I order other parts again I will get an extra one to have on hand. S40Guy

IP Logged
s40guy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 07/24/14 at 18:41:32

Just installed the new linkage and huts. Very easy to do. I threaded the rod and nut into the front shifter end and left about 3 threads showing. The removed the shifter connector from the shaft and threaded on the rod and nut til about 2 threads showed. (I marked the spot where the two ends came off to get the shifter right). Out it on, tweaked the height a bit and test drove. The new shaft seemed much thicker than the original one and it was straight. Also I changed out the rubber foot pad on the shifter. the new one is a little smaller diameter on the outside than the original one. Works great and shifts real nice.  Smiley

IP Logged
BobH

2008 Stock S40; 2015
Stock S40

New Hampshire
Reply #8 - 07/24/14 at 19:35:41

s40guy wrote on 07/24/14 at 18:41:32:
Just installed the new linkage and huts. Very easy to do. I threaded the rod and nut into the front shifter end and left about 3 threads showing. The removed the shifter connector from the shaft and threaded on the rod and nut til about 2 threads showed. (I marked the spot where the two ends came off to get the shifter right). Out it on, tweaked the height a bit and test drove. The new shaft seemed much thicker than the original one and it was straight. Also I changed out the rubber foot pad on the shifter. the new one is a little smaller diameter on the outside than the original one. Works great and shifts real nice.  Smiley

Glad you are back up & running.  The threads on the rod work like a turnbuckle.  One end is a reverse thread, which means you can start both threads at the same time and turn until you have the adjustment you want.  No need to remove the "shifter connector" to thread that end.

Bob
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 21:41:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › shifting linkage broke

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.