Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Sometimes oil smoke on start (Read 194 times)
JutMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Poconos
Re: Sometimes oil smoke on start
Reply #15 - 07/24/14 at 12:29:34

verslagen1 wrote on 07/24/14 at 10:56:27:
You want rotella T or T6

an the model raptor is the 660.  I'd order it by the part number listed in the tech section post.

As long as the filter is fresh, I don't think you need to change it.

Correct, that was a typo, it is a 660.  If you search on Amazon for the Raptor 660, the official part says Yamaha, but i got the knockoff.  The output on the petcock was too small.  I was able to get a new fuel line to make it work.  They gave me a $15 discount back as it was nto the right part.  I made a post on the part that it was not the OEM.

Going to check today for the oil on the way home.  I was not sure if it was good to mix the oils as some would be left in the filter.

2005 S40 / Jetted / Dyna / Raptor Petcock / Pegs, Signals and Grips Changed / Front Seat Lift
Future: Repaint / Sportster Seat / Breaklight
  IP Logged
JutMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Poconos
Reply #16 - 07/24/14 at 12:42:19

S-P wrote on 07/23/14 at 20:41:59:
JutMan wrote on 07/23/14 at 19:41:16:
 Forgot to mention, it does backfire now and again when slowing down.  Almost always backfires when I shut it off.  Another reason I was thinking maladjusted exhaust valve.  I paid $1500 for it as a first bike.  I would not want to sink $1000 into it rebuilding the engine.  Since it is my first bike and I had to convince the accountant ( wife ) of the purchase it will nearly be impossible to replace.

ALL Savages backfire. You can chase the backfire with carb mods, air cleaners and exhausts and it will still backfire, maybe just not as loud. If you don't like the backfire on shut down then pull the choke out and hit the kill switch and it won't backfire. Just be sure you push the choke back in and re-set your kill switch. You could try adjusting the valves if you have no service records just for peace of mind. Otherwise I'd say just ride it and watch your oil consumption for a few weeks and see what happens. Mine was blowing smoke for a while then it just stopped. No clue why it started or stopped.

I did drill out the plug and adjust the pilot.  I will check that on Friday when I have time to work on it again.  I may screw it back to start and back it out the 1 - 2 turns again to see if that resolves the backfire on shutoff.  I do not pull the chock out and typically shut it off with the kill switch.  I am not sure if the kill switch is different than just using the key to shut it off.

2005 S40 / Jetted / Dyna / Raptor Petcock / Pegs, Signals and Grips Changed / Front Seat Lift
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #17 - 07/24/14 at 16:06:01

JutMan wrote on 07/24/14 at 12:42:19:
I did drill out the plug and adjust the pilot.  I will check that on Friday when I have time to work on it again.  I may screw it back to start and back it out the 1 - 2 turns again to see if that resolves the backfire on shutoff.  I do not pull the chock out and typically shut it off with the kill switch.  I am not sure if the kill switch is different than just using the key to shut it off.

Kill switch is just easier to get to. I'd pretty much guarantee that messing with the pilot screw with everything else stock won't solve the backfire.

IP Logged
JutMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Poconos
Reply #18 - 07/24/14 at 20:29:50

S-P wrote on 07/24/14 at 16:06:01:
JutMan wrote on 07/24/14 at 12:42:19:

Kill switch is just easier to get to. I'd pretty much guarantee that messing with the pilot screw with everything else stock won't solve the backfire.

I have already replaced the jets with recommended setup.  I have not tinkered with the little washer on the top side of the carb yet.  Not sure how critical that is.

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #19 - 07/24/14 at 21:33:42

That's say 1/8 to 3/4 where it is noticeable.  Won't help a bit for idle or shutdown noises. Makes you be able to accelerate without having a dead spot coming off if idle.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #20 - 07/24/14 at 21:53:41

JutMan wrote on 07/24/14 at 20:29:50:
I have already replaced the jets with recommended setup.  I have not tinkered with the little washer on the top side of the carb yet.  Not sure how critical that is.

I did the jets and spacer etc. etc. and still have a POOT! on shut down and a bit of burping when I shift, but the bike runs great. Like I always say sometimes, "tune it to run, not stop".  Wink

IP Logged
JutMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Poconos
Reply #21 - 07/26/14 at 16:52:23

Update:
1. Oil changed to Rotella T with a new K&N filter. Smoked when i started it before I changed the oil.  Will start it again tomorrow.  The oil is no longer overfull.  2 Q put it right up to the line.  
2. ZDDP came in, I am not sure if I still need it when using the Rotella T
3. I found the boss seat mod on the forums!  I made a trip to True Value hardware.  They hooked me up with the rubber corks and I found a square of rubber to made the mid spacer. I no longer feel like I am always sliding down.
4. Replaced the front brakes and they are a bit touchy.  Need to go used to that.
5. Adjusted the pilot. Still backfiring on shutdown.  I am not getting the pop pop pop when throttling down now!

Next step will be the need to find new front and rear pegs.  I kind of hate the giant rubber blocks.  If anyone has a good write up with screen shots it would help.  I get the general concept, but I need more details.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #22 - 07/26/14 at 18:33:01

When it pops on shut down - it is because the spark plug stopped sparking when you turned off the ignition - but the engine was still turning and still pulling air and fuel through the carb.  It pumped that unburned fuel into the hot exhaust system, and when the fuel/air mixture reached a high enough temperature....it ignited.

It is in no way a sign of anything being wrong with your engine.  Learn to embrace it....part of owning a big single.  You can reduce the chances of it happening by letting the engine idle for a few seconds before you kill the ignition.  If you pull off the highway and instantly turn off the ignition - you are pretty much guaranteed you will get a shutdown pop.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Seaweednh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newbury, MA
Ready to use foot pegs
Reply #23 - 07/26/14 at 18:49:48

Here are some ready to use foot pegs.

http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=120409016228

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print